How dangerous is it to be BiGFooting alone?

RedHawk454

Learned a great tip from this video on how to get some dry firewood with a knife by making a draw knife. In the past when camping in wet conditions and needed some dry firewood, I would go to where the cliffs or boulders are and usually will find dry wood where it is protected from moisture. 

https://youtu.be/LNKTSa7OK_0

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

..........Last year yote hunting at  Pine Log WMA right at dark I heard the jaw popping sound of a black bear. He was coming in to my fox pro (rabbit distress sound). like an idiot I set the speaker to close to me ..........

Oooooh...........bait/call and nighttime is a very dangerous combination. I’ve baited bears and sat nearby in trees, and I had many uncomfortable walks out after climbing down to leave, knowing that they’re nearby. Now, baiting from the ground, I stay a good 100 yards off.

I wish we could hunt up here with lights at night.........

There has always been the questions of missing people who entered the woods never to be found again. Of particular interest to me was the number of hunters who went missing as well. You would think being armed would sufficiently insulate you from harm's way. David Paulides addressed this issue in his Missing 411 Hunters book published in 2016 and outlined a number of hunters who have gone missing.  

If memory serves me, in one of his interviews David Paulides said he could remember only one instance of a person going missing who had both a firearm and a transponder.  So, for those of you who want to play the odds, consider carrying both a firearm and a PLB.

I've been watching some of those 411 flics on youtube. Wolves and grizzly bears are probably why bodies dissappear in our National Parks,,, especially where my friend Hunster lives!! I do know one thing here in Ga the deer know when rifle season opens,, right after the bow season too. In areas were they are hunted heavy with tree stands they learn to look up. Animals are not stupid and some of them can clean our clocks quick!!!!

Maybe in some cases a predator is involved but many of the hunters he's chronicled just vanish off the face of the earth with no sign of a struggle or attack.  The SAR team grid searches the PLS (place last seen) areas once, twice, three times, and more. Bloodhounds are brought in, helicopters with FLIR are employed, divers are brought into any nearby lakes or ponds, etc.  In some cases, the hunter would not be physically able to walk away from the area on his own yet disappeared. His book, Missing 411: Hunters, is definitely worth a read. Absolutely fascinating.

Here is an interview of Paulides and he talks about various hunter disappearances from his book. One jaw-dropping example, which has all of the attributes I mention above, starts at ~ 44:00 of the YouTube video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjizbKkNrk

Edited by wiiawiwb

Some years back the Anchorage Daiky News outdoor writer and editor published a story on what kills people in the outdoors in Alaska, which has been known as the Land of the Lost (which is another incredible story). By far, the #1 killer was drowning. Then come exposure, falls, and ATVs wrecks. Airplane crashes come in high here in Alaska. Even the airplane itself disappears. Animal attack is actually way down on the list, but one of the reasons I love Alaska is that we have no snakes.

And the number of ways one can drown is pretty impressive, too. I remember a close brush with death in November if 2012, and when I realized in my mind that I wasn’t going to make it, my mind shifted into a state of wonder and surprise that I was going to die by drowning, which as such a lifelong strong swimmer, I’d never strongly considered. 

And, of course once dead and washed up, nature’s cleanup crew goes to work; the scavengers.

It is incredibly easy to die in the wilderness.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/15/nation/na-vanished15

https://curiosity.com/topics/thousands-of-people-have-mysteriously-disappeared-in-alaskas-bermuda-triangle-curiosity/

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/in-the-land-of-missing-persons/471477/

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/2018/06/04/afraid-of-bears-there-are-far-more-dangerous-things-in-the-alaska-outdoors/

When I was young, I didn’t much fear being lost forever. Being swallowed up by God’s Creation seemed natural. But after nearly disappearing off the face of the Earth myself, I’ve come very much to want to be present in physical form for my own funeral. I guess it’s all part of being face to face with reality before truly realizing its fullness.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Maybe in some cases a predator is involved but many of the hunters he's chronicled just vanish off the face of the earth with no sign of a struggle or attack.  The SAR team grid searches the PLS (place last seen) areas once, twice, three times, and more. Bloodhounds are brought in, helicopters with FLIR are employed, divers are brought into any nearby lakes or ponds, etc.  In some cases, the hunter would not be physically able to walk away from the area on his own yet disappeared. His book, Missing 411: Hunters, is definitely worth a read. Absolutely fascinating.

Here is an interview of Paulides and he talks about various hunter disappearances from his book. One jaw-dropping example, which has all of the attributes I mention above, starts at ~ 44:00 of the YouTube video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjizbKkNrk

I'm 50/50 with Paulides.  He gets visually upset and condescending when anyone challenges his assertions at the strange disappearances.  He acts like that since he visited the location of where someone disappeared and talked to locals he is somehow thee go-to expert.  He also seems to greatly underestimate mountain lions as a culprit when it comes to the children disappearing.  Also, if there ever someone who made the biggest circular argument, its him.  The reason I say its circular is because he wont exactly blame Sasquatch on a lot of cases but wont theorize or suggest what else it could be because it would hurt his credibility at the time being.  He keeps pumping these books out but coming on 7 years later he wont suggest the creatures/entities that are responsible for it.  I don't have an issue with theorizing but he provides no specifics as to what could be doing it. The whole thing is entirely circular.   

This is the best rebuke Ive ever read on Paulides.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R17M0AXEMAG3HT/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1466216298

Edited by RedHawk454

5 hours ago, RedHawk454 said:

I'm 50/50 with Paulides.  He gets visually upset and condescending when anyone challenges his assertions at the strange disappearances.  He acts like that since he visited the location of where someone disappeared and talked to locals he is somehow thee go-to expert.  He also seems to greatly underestimate mountain lions as a culprit when it comes to the children disappearing.  Also, if there ever someone who made the biggest circular argument, its him.  The reason I say its circular is because he wont exactly blame Sasquatch on a lot of cases but wont theorize or suggest what else it could be because it would hurt his credibility at the time being.  He keeps pumping these books out but coming on 7 years later he wont suggest the creatures/entities that are responsible for it.  I don't have an issue with theorizing but he provides no specifics as to what could be doing it. The whole thing is entirely circular.   

This is the best rebuke Ive ever read on Paulides.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R17M0AXEMAG3HT/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1466216298

I'm glad he doesn't theorize. I want him to sift through the myriad of cases out there and present facts and events only and let his readers determine for themselves why things are happening.  His Missing 411: Hunters was the apex for me.  He chose about 150 cases from over 800 cases he gleaned through.

When a hunter disappears, and the place last seen can be determined, it should be very simple to conclude whether a predator was involved.  A physical forensic examination of the PLS should be able to determine that. A number of the missing cases involving hunters are similar to the one I linked to above.  No rifle, clothing, or two-way radio found, no distress shots fired, no signs of a struggle, bloodhounds picked up no scent,  and helicopter thermals find nothing.  SAR teams use multiple, tight grid searches of the PLS and then expand to other areas based on mathematical probability models and Bayesian search theory, divers scoured every drop of water, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera .

Personally, I'm deeply thankful he has illuminated an issue of missing hikers or hunters by connecting dots to form patterns that others only saw as unrelated, random push pins on a map. I call that visionary and also think it is a siren call.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

I didn't mean animal attacks were taking folks out. Just wolves and grizzly eating up the remanes of bodies already dead!!!

In a lot of cases I could see that but some of the cases are kinda odd.  Out of all the cases maybe ~25 percent are actually paranormal / supernatural.

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm glad he doesn't theorize. I want him to sift through the myriad of cases out there and present facts and events only and let his readers determine for themselves why things are happening.  His Missing 411: Hunters was the apex for me.  He chose about 150 cases from over 800 cases he gleaned through.

When a hunter disappears, and the place last seen can be determined, it should be very simple to conclude whether a predator was involved.  A physical forensic examination of the PLS should be able to determine that. A number of the missing cases involving hunters are similar to the one I linked to above.  No rifle, clothing, or two-way radio found, no distress shots fired, no signs of a struggle, bloodhounds picked up no scent,  and helicopter thermals find nothing.  SAR teams use multiple, tight grid searches of the PLS and then expand to other areas based on mathematical probability models and Bayesian search theory, divers scoured every drop of water, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera .

Personally, I'm deeply thankful he has illuminated an issue of missing hikers or hunters by connecting dots to form patterns that others only saw as unrelated, random push pins on a map. I call that visionary and also think it is a siren call.

I don’t discount the paranormal/super natural/ occult or Sasquatch aspect of Missing 411.

I watched hunt for the skinwalker on netflix.  It’s a documentary about skinwalker ranch starring George Knapp.  It’s pretty good.  I believe it.  

Wierd supernatural/paranormal things likely do happen in the woods.

But the whole “let the readers figure it out” mentality gets old.  It’s fine for the first two years or so but after a while it may actually hurt his credibility.  He won’t even say or suggest that maybe Sasquatch is responsible for some of the disappearances despite everyone knowing he’s a Bigfooter.

After a few years it becomes easier for me to call a spade a spade but I do still give him the benefit of the doubt.  

He’s got a bunch of grown men afraid of their own shadows when being out in the woods alone because of his series.  And the fear could all be warranted but his vagueness is getting suspect.

but I would say a small percentage of the missing 411 cases are done by Sasquatch with the bulk of the missing 411 cases being alien/ufo abductions.  

Edited by RedHawk454

14 hours ago, Huntster said:

Some years back the Anchorage Daiky News outdoor writer and editor published a story on what kills people in the outdoors in Alaska, which has been known as the Land of the Lost (which is another incredible story). By far, the #1 killer was drowning. Then come exposure, falls, and ATVs wrecks. Airplane crashes come in high here in Alaska. Even the airplane itself disappears. Animal attack is actually way down on the list, but one of the reasons I love Alaska is that we have no snakes.

And the number of ways one can drown is pretty impressive, too. I remember a close brush with death in November if 2012, and when I realized in my mind that I wasn’t going to make it, my mind shifted into a state of wonder and surprise that I was going to die by drowning, which as such a lifelong strong swimmer, I’d never strongly considered. 

And, of course once dead and washed up, nature’s cleanup crew goes to work; the scavengers.

It is incredibly easy to die in the wilderness.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/15/nation/na-vanished15

https://curiosity.com/topics/thousands-of-people-have-mysteriously-disappeared-in-alaskas-bermuda-triangle-curiosity/

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/in-the-land-of-missing-persons/471477/

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/2018/06/04/afraid-of-bears-there-are-far-more-dangerous-things-in-the-alaska-outdoors/

When I was young, I didn’t much fear being lost forever. Being swallowed up by God’s Creation seemed natural. But after nearly disappearing off the face of the Earth myself, I’ve come very much to want to be present in physical form for my own funeral. I guess it’s all part of being face to face with reality before truly realizing its fullness.

Thanks for the info

videos like this make me think the whole m411 phenomena could be real

couple films a cloaked creature 

its a short two minute video.  Even it’s a fake it’s still scary

one of the comments from the video:

“It's real. The creature I mean. David Paulides wrote about a hunter that seen "a seran wrap " creature when she was hunting. It's in his "missing 411" book

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hMjSVJ1WlI8

Edited by RedHawk454

1 hour ago, RedHawk454 said:

“It's real. The creature I mean. David Paulides wrote about a hunter that seen "a seran wrap " creature when she was hunting.

It was the man from glad. Get over it.

Paulides reformats. If you can't research, reformat.

People disappear to start out fresh with a clean slate. Especially if people with baseball bats ( out of season ) are looking for them. I worked with a person who committed suicide because of gambling debts and baseball season.

Falling into subsurface cavities, either natural or for example old mines happens. Never walk on the terrain above an old mine. Washington State has a couple areas with Jurassic era rocks. Our geologic history is chaos.

Wandering into a drug deal/drop off location is a one way hike.

I don't buy the assisted death by cryptid creature scenario.

Pack your pockets with ToFu and the cryptids will leave you alone.

There is no question that some people disappear for nefarious reasons such as unpaid debts, wandering into a grow field, or to start a new identity.  What role they play in the missing cases is anyone's guess.

For example, the missing hunter case I outlined above in the YT video is absolutely inexplicable and I defy anyone to proffer any reasonable explanation for the hunter's disappearance given the facts of the case.  Not a shred of evidence and no indications of foul play from what I've read of the case. What possible theory or explanation can there be?

I agree that anyone who reads the Paulides series should come away having a healthy respect for nature and being out in the woods, especially alone. I've been, hiking, backpacking, and sasquatching alone all of my adult life and his illumination of this phenomenon, whatever it may be,  is an elbow-to-the-ribs reminder to have your ducks in order before you go out in nature. I think it also underscores the need to sharpen our senses since many of us have had those senses dulled by urban life or suburban sprawl.  We never saw the problem coming before it hit us. Frankly, it's no different than someone groomed their entire life in the backwoods who relocates to major metropolis like New York City or Los Angeles. Those concrete jungles can swallow you up just as quickly if you don't have, or quickly develop, street smarts.

Paulides advice about watching each other's back in the woods, or venturing out alone, might be called scaring people but I think it is solid advice.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic