How dangerous is it to be BiGFooting alone?

RedHawk454

Yes, same incident. In spite of his incredible bad luck in encountering that particular aggressive bear, he kept his wits about him, and had the grit to get out of there for help.

Edited by BC witness

6 hours ago, norseman said:

It would be nice to pack a pistol in Canada.

Yes.   There are a lot of things I might like to do in Canada in the way of hiking, fishing, and camping, which I'll never do so long as I can't carry a pistol.   Same as I won't do them here in states that either won't let me carry a pistol or put up so many hurdles it's effectively the same thing. 

I've noticed that the states don't care and I very much doubt Canada does either.   I'll stick to my home state, there's plenty of room and lots to do that I haven't done yet.

MIB

• Upvote 2

I agree it would be nice to carry a pistol during outdoor activities in Canada. I did so for a number of years, as a licensed prospector, but that, and timber cruising, are the only exceptions in our very restrictive carry laws. You can own a pistol, after an extensive background check, but the only place you can take it, in a locked case, is to a recognized gun club, unless you're prospecting, timber surveying, or a trained and licensed armoured car employee.

When I'm hiking over Harrison/Harrison Mills areas I always have Bear Spray and my Kukri.  Best I can  do and I always have them after coming across a Cougar a while back.  

Way I look at it if I'm going down I'm taking a bit of them with me😉

Hi, Rob.

Yes, lots of cougar in the area lately. My daughter and I met one on the road at km37 on the East Harrison FSR last summer, and a buddy had one within 30' of his camp the night before I came to stay the weekend in April, between Mission and Deroche. Though we cant carry handguns here, we always have bear spray, and most times at least 1 long gun, As we're all licensed hunters, and there's always something open.

Stay safe out there!

11 hours ago, Rob said:

When I'm hiking over Harrison/Harrison Mills areas I always have Bear Spray and my Kukri.  Best I can  do and I always have them after coming across a Cougar a while back.  

Way I look at it if I'm going down I'm taking a bit of them with me😉

Kukri is a great knife.  I sometimes carry my KBAR when the yotes are in the area but it is so long I have not yet found a comfortable way to wear it. 

While there are the occasional bear and cougar in NC, the biggest threat is stumbling in to a meth lab and confronting a couple pissed off druggies.  In this case the knife would not be of much use as they are usually armed to the teeth, but it does make you feel better carrying it.

Will be leaving tomorrow for a two week stint on the Maine coast just short of Canada. Then into New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia to Cape Breton So My spouse, dog and I will be living with the bears, coyotes, and cougars for a total of about six weeks. Not many BF sightings in N.B. but I attribute that to low Human witness population. We have a member, Trogluddite, who has done extensive data mining and so I would think whould have reports that aren't in the usual places on the web. Looking forward to seeing some much of that great region and a lot of the Bay of Fundy.   

12 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Kukri is a great knife.  I sometimes carry my KBAR when the yotes are in the area but it is so long I have not yet found a comfortable way to wear it. 

While there are the ocasional bear and cougar in NC, the biggest threat is stumbling in to a meth lab and confronting a couple pissed off druggies.  In this case the knife would not be of much use as they are usually armed to the teeth, but it does make you feel better carrying it.

They are great-mine's made by Condor and measures 13".  Strong blade and great handle-very sharp and has weight to it.  I usually have it in with the handle sticking out my backpack so all I do is reach behind my hand to grab it.  I usually hike in shorts so can't use the belt holder.  

Guest CharlesLamica

Except when I'm on an actual expedition, most of my squatching and a great deal of my recreational camping (which is really just an excuse to go squatching) is done alone.   I understand the risks associated with going it solo, but I also understand that it is not for everyone.  In my case, I started solo backpacking in the redwoods of California when I was 17.  Later, I spent 22 years as an Alaska State Trooper, often working alone far from any assistance.  I often went on solo canoe trips in Alaska.  I'm a wilderness survival instructor, a tracking instructor, and a bushcraft instructor.  I don't mean to sound like a braggart, but I state these things to explain that I have experiences and qualifications that others might not.  So, I often go on solo squatching trips that range in duration from an afternoon to three or four days.  Sometimes by horseback, sometimes on foot, sometimes in my jeep.

Can it be dangerous in the woods?  Of course.  But, I can honestly say I am much more cautious when I'm by myself in the woods, rather than with other people.  When I'm solo I KNOW if I get hurt there's no one to help me.  So, there are many times when I opt to avoid certain behaviors that I might have otherwise done if I were with other people.  

Have I ever felt threatened by the presence of sasquatches?  No.  Do I believe they could be dangerous if they felt threatened or were protecting their family?  Yes, of course.  Luckily, I believe sasquatches are generally not interested in harming humans.  Sometimes they engage in territorial displays and bluff tactics, but I believe it is a rare sasquatch that might actually cause harm to a human.  If they were a serious threat to humans, they would have had many an opportunity to do harm to me while I'm by myself deep in the woods.

None of this should be construed as an endorsement for everyone to go into the woods solo.  As I mentioned above, I have a unique set of experiences and background.  Others, with similar experiences might be well-suited for solo trips.  Those who have a lesser amount of experience and training are probably better off going with other people.  In my mind, it depends on the individual.

1 hour ago, CharlesLamica said:

Except when I'm on an actual expedition, most of my squatching and a great deal of my recreational camping (which is really just an excuse to go squatching) is done alone.   I understand the risks associated with going it solo, but I also understand that it is not for everyone.  In my case, I started solo backpacking in the redwoods of California when I was 17.  Later, I spent 22 years as an Alaska State Trooper, often working alone far from any assistance.  I often went on solo canoe trips in Alaska.  I'm a wilderness survival instructor, a tracking instructor, and a bushcraft instructor.  I don't mean to sound like a braggart, but I state these things to explain that I have experiences and qualifications that others might not.  So, I often go on solo squatching trips that range in duration from an afternoon to three or four days.  Sometimes by horseback, sometimes on foot, sometimes in my jeep.

Can it be dangerous in the woods?  Of course.  But, I can honestly say I am much more cautious when I'm by myself in the woods, rather than with other people.  When I'm solo I KNOW if I get hurt there's no one to help me.  So, there are many times when I opt to avoid certain behaviors that I might have otherwise done if I were with other people.  

Have I ever felt threatened by the presence of sasquatches?  No.  Do I believe they could be dangerous if they felt threatened or were protecting their family?  Yes, of course.  Luckily, I believe sasquatches are generally not interested in harming humans.  Sometimes they engage in territorial displays and bluff tactics, but I believe it is a rare sasquatch that might actually cause harm to a human.  If they were a serious threat to humans, they would have had many an opportunity to do harm to me while I'm by myself deep in the woods.

None of this should be construed as an endorsement for everyone to go into the woods solo.  As I mentioned above, I have a unique set of experiences and background.  Others, with similar experiences might be well-suited for solo trips.  Those who have a lesser amount of experience and training are probably better off going with other people.  In my mind, it depends on the individual.

Welcome Charles!

I remember you from the BFRO forum a long time ago. We reside in the same neck of the woods too. I understand you have spoke up at Republic at the BCH meeting. I have helped with packing into the snow peak cabin and we also replaced logs on the porch. I was a member but let my membership lapse of late.

Be safe!

13 hours ago, hiflier said:

Will be leaving tomorrow for a two week stint on the Maine coast just short of Canada. Then into New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia to Cape Breton So My spouse, dog and I will be living with the bears, coyotes, and cougars for a total of about six weeks. Not many BF sightings in N.B. but I attribute that to low Human witness population. We have a member, Trogluddite, who has done extensive data mining and so I would think whould have reports that aren't in the usual places on the web. Looking forward to seeing some much of that great region and a lot of the Bay of Fundy.   

I was listening to a pod cast the other day and they said they are getting more reports of BF being close to towns around populated areas rather than deep in the woods, which I find to be interesting, could be because of what you said hiflier that there are less people to report them but the pod caster was claiming that more BF researchers are reporting this also. He claimed that it looks like they like to hang out in the woods at the edge of populated areas.

My encounter happened deep in the woods, if you call it that, but I am not from a wilderness area like most of you guys are from, so what I call deep woods would probably be like the edge of the city to you guys. We had driven a few hours into the woods then we walked a few more hours to our deer stands.

BFF Patron

Well I have always claimed that if BF were as intelligent as humans, long ago they would have marched into town,  demanded a lawyer, and started suing us for trashing their habitat.    Maybe they have realized that to do that they need to be more comfortable in town.  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Haha 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic