How dangerous is it to be BiGFooting alone?

RedHawk454

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Yeah, but did you ever consider the fact that you're feeding your political and ideological enemies some of the best cuisine on Earth while they send you back restrictions, wolves, taxes, and counterproductive policies? What would happen if you took a small loss for a few years by selling your beef overseas at cut rate prices and forced the urban aristorats to eat their rats instead?

I've never eaten wolf, but I have dog and rat. Rat meat sucks. It's stringy, Nasty. Dog is certainly better. But who knows? Maybe the environmentally considerate urban princesses out there might learn to love rat meat if she knows she's saving the planet?

Most countries cherish and protect their agriculture.

The Prez is trying to level the playing field, but its not easy.

11 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Have you seen this yourself?

This happens with all animal tracks. Key words from your comment: snow, pasture and yard. I have seen this. A cougar passed by me in close range while I was snow shoeing. I went to the trackway. Cougar tracks, snowshoe hare and deer tracks. They all 'appeared and disappeared' and re-appeared in cycles. A little wind and snow fills in tracks quickly. Air currents are highly variable with eddies, precinct vortices. Tracks get filled in very quickly. I watched the cougar and yet most of its tracks were covered in a matter of minutes. Same can happen with sand.

I do not subscribe to the 'UFO drops off a scouting animal and then picks it up to 'download' the mission' scenario.

No Cat, I have never seen this myself I, am not even from the snow country, I am only going by what I have seen on other BF forums, thank you for sharing this with me.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:32 AM, Catmandoo said:

Have you seen this yourself?

This happens with all animal tracks. Key words from your comment: snow, pasture and yard. I have seen this. A cougar passed by me in close range while I was snow shoeing. I went to the trackway. Cougar tracks, snowshoe hare and deer tracks. They all 'appeared and disappeared' and re-appeared in cycles. A little wind and snow fills in tracks quickly. Air currents are highly variable with eddies, precinct vortices. Tracks get filled in very quickly. I watched the cougar and yet most of its tracks were covered in a matter of minutes. Same can happen with sand.

It can.   By no means is it always the correct explanation.   You should remember that snow varies in water content.    What you are suggesting might account for some tracks in dry snow in windy conditions.   It does not account for those in wet snow in still conditions.   Same thing with wet vs dry sand.   When a top tier tracker (border patrol **trainer**) says they're baffled and uncomfortable, I pay attention.  

On 8/22/2019 at 10:32 AM, Catmandoo said:

I do not subscribe to the 'UFO drops off a scouting animal and then picks it up to 'download' the mission' scenario.

I don't either, but I think you are far too quick to dismiss all oddities simply because you can correctly dismiss a few and ridicule the rest.   Put it this way .. by your logic, because some people die in plane wrecks, all people can be assumed to die in plane wrecks.    Clearly that's not how things work.  

IMHO we need to do our best to root out the real causes where possible, but we shouldn't be eliminating data we can't account for just because we're uncomfortable with it.

MIB

On 8/19/2019 at 9:27 PM, MIB said:

Well, without bigfoot proven to exist yet, that would be hard to do in absolute terms, but a couple of the Missing 411 seem suggestive.    Based on the remains found, a couple of the cases from Crater Lake National Park suggest predation.    I would think the Dennis Martin case would be another strong candidate.     Nothing in them suggests territorial behavior.

I can think of a couple of territorial .. events .. I've heard about but none were fatalities, not even any injuries unless you consider a need for a change of underwear an "injury."   All were bluff.   Which is pretty much my point.   Bigfoot does not seem to escalate from bluff to action, if there's action, it's deliberate, and the motivation is different.    You don't bluff your cheeseburger, you just kill it and eat it.

MIB

You shoot hamburgers!? What does the drive thru say to you? Do they hand the cash drawer through the window?

;)

23 hours ago, markc said:

No Cat, I have never seen this myself I, am not even from the snow country, I am only going by what I have seen on other BF forums, thank you for sharing this with me.

Was there human tracks or snowmobile tracks around the Bigfoot tracks? I start getting excited when Bigfoot snow tracks are found virgin. Unless somebody rented a helicopter and build a twin pole stomper while hanging outside the door in winter? The physics start becoming hard to explain.

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:49 PM, norseman said:

Was there human tracks or snowmobile tracks around the Bigfoot tracks? I start getting excited when Bigfoot snow tracks are found virgin. Unless somebody rented a helicopter and build a twin pole stomper while hanging outside the door in winter? The physics start becoming hard to explain.

Exactly this /\

The trackway I came across 40 odd years ago was all alone along the old logging road, nothing else had made any tracks there. When I went back with John Green the next day, the only additional tracks were my own, paralleling the large tracks for the first 20 yards into the snow; the rest of the tracks continued up the road for as far as we could see, probably 400 yards till they disappeared around a curve in the slight uphill grade. Who the heck would fake that, not knowing if anyone would see them before all the snow melted?

• Upvote 4

Agree completely.  Wow to seeing that trackway. A find of a lifetime BC. Kudos.

One of the real benefits of getting as far back as you can in the backcountry is you reduce the chances of a hoax.  Someone so inclined wants his/her work to be discovered.  All the more reason to do so near trailheads,  favorite camping areas accessible by vehicle, or even popular hiking trails. hat is why I prefer to go in by backpack as that eliminates most hoaxers.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:25 PM, BC witness said:

Who the heck would fake that, not knowing if anyone would see them before all the snow melted?

Not merely who WOULD, but who COULD, and HOW without leaving tracks of their own.    Scoftics fail to adequately address those questions, instead, they try to dismiss them because they can't answer them.

MIB

Edited by MIB

On 8/20/2019 at 5:09 AM, wiiawiwb said:

It is the vanishing of people, particularly hunters who can defend themselves, that has me perplexed. I've read all of the Missing 411 books, seen the two movies, and even very closely followed one case. 

The total vanishing in these cases does not appear to be sasquatch related, at least in my opinion. A sasquatch would not also take a rifle/shotgun and thus it would be left behind to be discovered. In some of the hunters cases, nothing was found. Those are the cases that have me a little uneasy. You can address that which you know. You have no idea how to address that which is bafflingly unknown.

In most cases (say the ones where hunters are gone and their rifles and sidearms are nowhere o be found), What do you believe is taking people?  

BFF Patron

Well,  I would say that if something took their firearms,   it has to be something with hands.     That leaves humans or BF.     Given the fact that you can be shot and killed for $20 in most big cities,  could it be that some less than lazy criminal is killing humans for close to $2000 in hunting rifle, scope,  and handgun?   The serial killers that have roamed the woods of the NW for the most part have rarely had a victim found.     Usually that is only because they have helped law enforcement find where their victims were buried.    Without that,   most of their victims would never be found,   buried in shallow graves in the woods.    Maybe we have some serial killers that find it even more thrilling to kill an armed hunter than someone unarmed.  Certainly the firearms involved are something of value and worthy of being collected and sold illegally.    Of course perhaps some killings are accidental.   See movement and shoot, only to find someone dead.    By just burying the victim,   avoid the legal hassle, and either take the guns or bury them with the victim.   Several possibilities.    Certainly I have been shot at more than once.    Once the person knew I was there,  the second time I don't think they did, and the bullets from their target shooting were whizzing over my head.   In both cases I withdrew rather than have a gun battle.    I was outgunned in both cases and decided the best choice was to get away.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RedHawk454 said:

In most cases (say the ones where hunters are gone and their rifles and sidearms are nowhere o be found), What do you believe is taking people?  

I think people too easily discount how easily it is to be lost forever out there, equipment included. 

I heard a story about a guy who saw something in a tree in the forest  near the shore of Tustumena Lake while he was hunting sometime in the 1970's. He climbed up, pulled it down, and unwrapped it. It was two Russian flintlock rifles smeared in bear grease and wrapped in a bear hide. It had been there for at least a century.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/01/15/rifle-found-in-tree-great-basin-national-park/21798189/

In one of the three cases in the last Missing 411: The Hunted  movie/documentary,  the person who went missing was with 6 other hunters. Four, including the one who went missing, were put in formation a hundred yards apart and sat while the other three drove deer to them.  The missing hunter was too old and in too bad of health to leave on his own (82-yrs old, blind in one eye, heart condition). That eliminates the walking-out possibility.  He was not attacked by human or by predator as that was the first thing authorities looked at. 

So how did he and his equipment (rifle and two-way radio) vanish? It doesn't leave very many options does it? 

BFF Patron
12 hours ago, Huntster said:

I think people too easily discount how easily it is to be lost forever out there, equipment included. 

I heard a story about a guy who saw something in a tree in the forest  near the shore of Tustumena Lake while he was hunting sometime in the 1970's. He climbed up, pulled it down, and unwrapped it. It was two Russian flintlock rifles smeared in bear grease and wrapped in a bear hide. It had been there for at least a century.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/01/15/rifle-found-in-tree-great-basin-national-park/21798189/

I keep looking for Jeremiah Johnson leaning against a tree with his 50 Caliber Hawking when I am in the Rockies.     Wouldn't that be a interesting museum find?     Some people don't know the Redford portrayal was about a real mountain man.   The movie did not portray what he was really like.     The movie showed that that NA attacked him one at a time OK.    But did not reveal that when he killed the NA he ate their liver.   He was also known as Liver Eating Johnson.   I gave a book report on him in grade school.  

Edited by SWWASAS

56 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I keep looking for Jeremiah Johnson leaning against a tree with his 50 Caliber Hawking when I am in the Rockies.     Wouldn't that be a interesting museum find?.......

I'd love to find an old gun, but I don't want to find a body. I thought I did just last month. 

..........Some people don't know the Redford portrayal was about a real mountain man.   The movie did not portray what he was really like.     The movie showed that that NA attacked him one at a time OK.    But did not reveal that when he killed the NA he ate their liver.   He was also known as Liver Eating Johnson.   I gave a book report on him in grade school.  

Yeah, incredible story. Was the book "Mountain Man"?

BFF Patron

Been a while but as I remember the book was called "Liver Eating Johnson"       Of course that title got the attention of a grade school kid.    Was fun giving the book report and getting into the grizzly parts of it.    He just disappeared on day and was never seen again.   No one is sure what got him.     The NA or a grizzly.     There is a VOR navigation aid in Montana that is The Crazy Woman VOR.    It was built where the crazy woman lived after her husband and kids were killed by the NA.   Since Johnson was involved helping her, the place became a shrine for the NA looking for Johnson.   NA would come and place feathers and other trinkets.     They left the woman alone.  

The book I read was called "Crow Killer".   The movie was pretty decent but not historically accurate. 

Finished one on Jim Bridger a while back.   I've got 2 books on the shelf about Hugh Glass and another about Jedediah Smith, just need time to read 'em.  First I have to wrap up a couple on archeology .. human origins.  

For what it's worth, the rifle is not "Hawking", it is "Hawken".   I've also seen it Hawkin and Hawkins but those are wrong, too.   Hawkins could be close to correct because there were two Hawken brothers, Samuel and Jacob.   There are a number of somewhat close, but not exact, replicas available.    An original Hawken in good working shape would be a very valuable rifle today.   

MIB

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic