How dangerous is it to be BiGFooting alone?

RedHawk454

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

Been a while but as I remember the book was called "Liver Eating Johnson"       Of course that title got the attention of a grade school kid.........

As a guy who absolutely loves moose, caribou, deer, beef, sheep, goat, rabbit, chicken, and turkey liver, the thought of eating a man's liver is disturbing. But it sure makes a great intimidation tactic. 

I've read that human flesh tastes rather sweet. I've read similar about horse and mule meat, neither of which I've tried. I would love to try horse, mule, or donkey meat.

20 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I was outgunned in both cases and decided the best choice was to get away.  

I can't remember seeing a post about drug deals. The development of civilian GPS units has allowed drug dealers to create anonymous 'drop off / pick up points'.  Hikers stumbling onto a drug deal site has been suggested for some disappearances and deaths in Washington State. 

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

He just disappeared on day and was never seen again.   No one is sure what got him.     The NA or a grizzly.    

Old age got him. Jeremiah Johnson died on Jan. 21, 1900 in a veterans home located in Santa Monica. He was reburied at Old Trail Town, Cody, WY.. He has a statue. The eating of the livers was vengeance / insult. Crow believed that their livers were important in the journey to after life. He ate livers for something like 25 years.  This brings up the question of where and how the expression "eat crow' originated?

• gigantor featured this topic
On 8/18/2019 at 8:50 PM, Huntster said:

After watching and dealing with dog mushers around here, there is no way in Hell I'd build a kennel if dogs........for any reason. But I still think that if you're actually going to hunt sasquatches, bear hunting dogs might be the ticket.

But mushers have neat "boxes" they build to transport their sled dogs.

E14B4AB2-B4C0-45A3-8F28-A4E657044319.jpeg

My wives family were big time mushers. They put on the Priest Lake sled dog race for years.

Houndsmen do it differently.

Just one hold for all the dogs and a strike platform on top.

A3948A20-CB71-47F1-B011-BE8FA0211F5C.gif

Plott Hounds are considered best for bear.

• Upvote 2

Few things I loved more in life than skijoring with my huskies and riding a sled dog team when I traveled out west for a skiing trip.  Never raced but I always wanted to.

One of our group had a cougar stare at him from a couple of dozen feet away while camping/researching alone.

Even after he fired the shotgun in the air it only ran a short distance 

Twice that night he had to chase it from camp.

He came home the next day because he knew that it was still hanging around

BFF Patron

That cougar should have been killed.    Even Washington Fish and Game are taking out cougars that have no fear of humans in populated areas.   Humans killed or seriously injured by cougars are on the rise in the state.    I just saw something in the local paper where they are looking to increase cougar hunting permit numbers.   They are territorial and do not tolerate other cougars in their territory.   So increasing numbers are pushing them into populated and suburban areas.  

Edited by SWWASAS

4 hours ago, Huntster said:

^^^^ Was it in an area where he could have legally killed it if he had a hunting license/permit?

Yes, but he had neither. I visited him at the site the next day, and saw the tracks, and the video that he took before firing the shotgun. I stayed that night, and we left the following evening. I had a license, but no cougar tag. I picked one up as soon as I got back to town.

Had the cat actually made a run at him, he could have killed it, and filed a self defense report with F&W, but that's always a major PITA. The cougar was just beyond the sunlit patch across the old logging road in the pic below, facing him as he stood at the edge of the road near my red camp chair. After he fired the shot, it slunk into the timber on the left. He followed, shotgun at the ready, and spotted it lying next to a log just 40' into the trees. A blast from his whistle chased it further into the trees, out of sight.

IMG_0090.thumb.JPG.bedb266d6f7bfad99ed77efce2c58989.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2019 at 5:53 AM, Huntster said:

^^^^ Was it in an area where he could have legally killed it if he had a hunting license/permit?

BCWitness already answered so I deleted my answer

I saw on another local 4x4 site that a couple of others have seen a cougar close by in that area

Edited by MagniAesir

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a sorta kinda update,  I now have acquired the DJI Inspire 2 drone system that I will use in conjunction with my FLIR Vue Pro R 640.  I will be able to rapidly respond to a situation should an animal approach my location as well as use this system to passively scan an area for thermal targets. 

Thermal video of hog hunting from a similar system - WARNING - this shows animals being shot.

image.png.763971123682f6c2c85014ab28b0645a.png

I need to purchase the 3 axis gimbal for direct interface with the drone, this also costs a pretty penny ( 1300$ to 1500$ ) so I am looking at having the system complete by the end of November.    I would be on this sooner but many big game seasons are in full swing and the forest is packed with hunters at this time ( not looking to get that much money shot out of the sky ). Been busy as usual out in the field as well as with my recent move, I will post additionally as progress is made.

• Upvote 3

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic