wierd tree structures in the forest

RedHawk454

I was hiking in the Rio Grande National forest back in April.  Just a day hike.  I came across quite a few of these tree structures.  One wouldn't have thrown me off but 10+ looked kinda odd.  Theres 2-3 in this photo.  Aspens.  There was huge fir many years ago and this part of the forest is till recovering.

tBdgKrc.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your picture looks like something/someone did it. It doesn’t look natural.  Did you look to see if the stumps were attached yet, or if the stumps were close by and the trees had been moved and placed?  Cool find!

They are big aspens.  I have a hard time believing a group of guys hiked miles and miles in to make quite a few of these structures

Its off highway 160 in southern Colorado just west of South Fork.  I don’t remember what the trail is called.

13 hours ago, Bigjeepman said:

Your picture looks like something/someone did it. It doesn’t look natural.  Did you look to see if the stumps were attached yet, or if the stumps were close by and the trees had been moved and placed?  Cool find!

No I didn’t check to see if the stumps were attached 

I hiked on this trail back in April 2016 and I didn’t hike far up enough the trail to where the aspens were.  This photo was taken closer to highway 160 in 2016.  When I did this hike back in April it was still there.  It’s a rather large dead tree just thrown in top of a living tree

74E638F0-DC02-45AF-81CC-0E91D2C33689.jpeg

On 12/27/2018 at 11:12 AM, RedHawk454 said:

I was hiking in the Rio Grande National forest back in April.  Just a day hike.  I came across quite a few of these tree structures.  One wouldn't have thrown me off but 10+ looked kinda odd.  Theres 2-3 in this photo.  Aspens.  There was huge fir many years ago and this part of the forest is till recovering.

tBdgKrc.jpg

Looks like a deer or elk was using the lower part of the trees as a scratching post.  

• 2 weeks later...

I got lost bushwhacking on the continental divide a good ~1000’ south of highway 160 near wolf creek pass.  I wasn’t lost per say cuz I could hear the cars on 160 but it did feel Missing 411’y

i came across this lay.  Prolly elk

9732B8F2-07E4-43D1-9810-363281D050A2.jpeg

Edited by RedHawk454

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic