Vanished documentary

Explorer

Saw the new History channel documentary titled "Vanished" with David Paulides (see link below).

https://www.history.com/specials/vanished

It covered 2 missing person cases:

• Carl Herber Landers who disappeared in Mount Shasta, CA in 1999 and whose story is covered in the book titled Missing 411 - Western United States and Canada.
  • Mitchell Dale Stehling who disappeared in Mesa Verde NP, CO in 2013 (and is not covered in his 411 book, but the link below explains the case).

https://durangoherald.com/articles/141040

While I missed the last 10 minutes of the show, there was no mention or connection made with bigfoot.

I found it odd that they went to the locations where the 2 men disappeared and used an electromagnetic detector to measure EM anomalies and  used another instrument in 2nd location to measure time dilation.

While they never explicitly said what their preferred hypothesis is for the missing persons, they probably are exploring some high strangeness hypotheses.

I think you can make an interesting (and educational) show on missing people and their search with just the facts without introducing  speculative stuff like EM readers and time dilation that could distract from the main story. 

Edited by Explorer

BFF Patron

Mount Shasta is famous in the UFO community for UFO sightings and strange happenings.      Same thing applies to Mt Adams in Washington.     Not surprised that they showed up with EM gadgets and tried to tie things to that.     People have claimed to have seen doors open up and see UFO's flying in or out of the mountains.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2019 at 2:32 PM, Explorer said:

While I missed the last 10 minutes of the show, there was no mention or connection made with bigfoot.

I found it odd that they went to the locations where the 2 men disappeared and used an electromagnetic detector to measure EM anomalies and  used another instrument in 2nd location to measure time dilation.

While they never explicitly said what their preferred hypothesis is for the missing persons, they probably are exploring some high strangeness hypotheses.

I think you can make an interesting (and educational) show on missing people and their search with just the facts without introducing  speculative stuff like EM readers and time dilation that could distract from the main story. 

I think they laid out their theory in those last ten minutes you missed.  Dave P. point blank told a family member and an eyewitness that "a portal" should be seriously considered a alternative theory for their missing loved one.   After listening to many of his talks and reading a couple of his books (have a couple more on the shelf to get to) I was floored.  He has always made a point of not speculating on the cause of these disappearances so I was shocked that he has finally come out with a theory, and a doozy at that.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

I think they laid out their theory in those last ten minutes you missed.  Dave P. point blank told a family member and an eyewitness that "a portal" should be seriously considered a alternative theory for their missing loved one.   After listening to many of his talks and reading a couple of his books (have a couple more on the shelf to get to) I was floored.  He has always made a point of not speculating on the cause of these disappearances so I was shocked that he has finally come out with a theory, and a doozy at that.

Arrowhead, thanks for letting me know.  Amazing claim! 

I will have to watch the end of the show and see how he arrived at the portal hypothesis.

I agree with you, in the past 411 books and presentations, David has been coy and not said what he truly believes.

The idea of the portal is not new in the BF world.  Thom Powell wrote a whole chapter on it titled "The Quicksilver Curtain" in his Edges of Science book.

What is news to me is that David Paulides is proposing that idea to explain missing person cases.

Thom Powell and David Paulides have met and exchanged ideas at conferences, so maybe the idea of a portal for 411 missing cases grew from that exchange.

I did enjoy reading that "Quicksilver Curtain" chapter and the stories therein. Who knows? Maybe some of these stories are describing a real unknown anomaly.

Nonetheless, it is a big jump to suggest that Mr. Landers and Mr. Stehling went missing because they went thru a portal. 

BFF Patron

I have heard many claims about BF from various people and some claims are common enough that either they all encourage each other to say the same thing or they must be based on actual BF behavior.   But the portal thing has only been supposedly observed by fewer people than I have fingers on my right hand.    Either some people have a very vivid imagination, are delusional,   or the event is very very rare.   If such things as portals exist, and BF is involved with them,  then that is a red flag that BF is extra-terrestrial.    We as humans certainly cannot create them,  so if they exist,    someone else creates them.         Nothing I have observed suggests BF is ET.        You do not come from the stars without gadgets.      Just like we do not go to space without gadgets.   A furry ET  humanoid walking around in the woods would have gadgets with them.   No one seems to see any so I doubt they exist.       

Edited by SWWASAS

6 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I have heard many claims about BF from various people and some claims are common enough that either they all encourage each other to say the same thing or they must be based on actual BF behavior.   But the portal thing has only been supposedly observed by fewer people than I have fingers on my right hand.    

SWWASAS,  I agree with your assessment,  the only cases that I recall reading about BF and portals are 2-3 from Powell's book and the infamous case from Dr. Johnson.  It is not a common observation associated with BF.

I think Kewaunee Lapseritis has written books on the subject too, but he is very controversial and his cases are dubious.

Tonight I saw the rest of the show that I missed, and the proposed hypothesis used to explain the missing persons was indeed time-space portals.  However, Paulides never associated it with BF.  He brought a scientist who suggested that portals could be generated by nature due to geophysical properties of the area (specially areas with a base of quartz).  He speculated that these will be very rare and maybe random, and could take someone into another dimension.   It was Paulides who introduced the idea that the opening/closing of portals could be technology from someone else (ETs).

In re-watching the show,  it seemed that Paulides picked the idea of portals from Native American stories of doorways opening in Mt. Shasta.  The evidence used to speculate on portals was EM reader and some laser instrument to measure time dilation.  However, they never did control tests.  They never took measurements in other areas of the park/forest where people don't disappear and check whether the instrument readings were just random noise.   Even if the instruments did detect anomalous readings, it is a stretch  to assume a portal exists there permanently.  The whole thing is pure speculation and using a mystery to explain another mystery.

BTW, I am not dismissing the possible existence of portals in the universe; just that using that explanation for these cases is not justified by the evidence. 

Some of these missing person cases are truly baffling and folks are grasping at straws for explanations. 

What they haven't done is create a new database that includes missing persons (who met the same 5 parameter criteria) but years later their bodies were found by accident. 

Then we can compare both databases and determine if they are statistically any different.

For those whose bodies were found, no portal explanation is needed.

I've read several of his books, including Missing 411: Hunters, listened to Paulides on YouTube, and saw the Vanished show.  It left me with a few thoughts after its jaw-dropping ending.

I don't know for sure what the implication of the portal was. There are two options as I can see it. One, a portal was controlled by an alien force who saw a person ripe for the picking and they opened up a portal in time to entomb that person. Two, the portal sits there and if the person walks 20' to the left or right, they miss the portal which isn't being controlled. I think the implication was the former. A portal is one way to account for disappearances but I'm not there nor buying that conclusion yet. 

One fascinating case in the conclusion of his MIssing 411: Hunters book.  He included it because it involved the most credible person he knows. That book is worth the read for case alone.  I was expecting that to be introduced into the Vanished show as I watched it. It wasn't.

It was my belief for quite a while that a sasquatch could account for some if not many of the disappearances.  Not any more.  In a number of cases, a hunter's rifle or bow is missing. A sasquatch grabbing someone is not going to carry the person along with his rifle or bow. It makes no sense to me. 

The question remains...How do you remove someone, and the belongings on them, without a trace or any evidence left? My opinion of what's going one has changed based on cases he's written about in several of his books.

17 hours ago, Explorer said:

For those whose bodies were found, no portal explanation is needed.

Or is it?  There have have been many cases where the body has been found within hours of searchers walking in the same spot.  Not being argumentative or even endorsing portals, but just because a body is found I don't think that rules any one theory out.   

BFF Patron

I have one very good argument why portals are very unlikely.      Science, while suggesting that wormholes (portals) might be created in spacetime,   have no clue as to how to make one.    Somehow I don't think BF does either.     If someone can give me evidence that BF are either extraterrestrial or associated with extraterrestrials that are capable of creating wormholes, then portals could be theorized.     Sighting evidence also suggests that if one chooses to believe in ET visitation,  why would ET need UFOs to come and go if they could just open a portal to come and go and not leave as much evidence of visitation by having vehicles zipping around in the night sky for all to see.   

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting thread- thanks to all the ones who posted an image that best captures what was observed & also explained the similarities & differences between them. A picture really is worth a thousand words ; )

Cheers!