How Far Up The Ladder Does Knowledge Of Sasquatch Go?

hiflier

• 4 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:39 AM, SWWASAS said:

The Smeja event was the only one I am aware of in which anyone claimed to have blood or tissue collected from something that looked like a BF and that requires the Smeja story to be believed.     There are a few reports of BF shot and leaving blood trails but none have been tested.   No wonder that stuff tested turns out to be bear or some other known animal.     The only DNA main stream science is going to believe is that collected from a BF on a lab table that has been collected with accepted protocols and verified with testing in more than one lab.   

I am sure this has been talked to death in these parts but I will re-visit with a few details.  DNA was a consequence of Smeja's actions. Such a sample is going to be contaminated by that point anyway. As been pointed out numerous times, you need a fresh carcass for DNA testing or some quick DNA kit preservation in the field. That was never going to be the case here. He and his hunting buddy were aware of fish & game rules about reporting kills. This guy is not the brightest bulb on the tree so he shoots first and then realizes he killed a baby BF or something or other.  How is he going to explain that and what would he do with the body? So he buries it instead of trying to explain it to game authorities. I don't think Smeja cared at all about BF before the incident. He had no reason to make a spectacle of himself with such a tale.

Edited by Arvedis

Smeja is a petty poacher, and his actions up to the shots and afterwards confirm that fact. In frustration, I'd like to feel sorry for the idiot, but I can't. If his story was true at all, all he had to do was bring the baby bigfoot out and dump it on the doorstep of the appropriate authority. The fact that the "steak" came back as bear literally confirms that he's a liar. Had it come back as "human" even the Fish and Wildlife authorities wouldn't have had a case against him.Neither would the DA, with no particular missing person.

The most interesting aspect of the entire Smeja saga was the quiet authorities.........until that DNA sample came back as bear. Then they just as quietly prosecuted the moron........and remain quiet about the case to this very day.

AFAIC Smeja is an idiot, and the authorities are a nest of vipers. Neither are to be trusted.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

A gentleman in Ohio actually did some presentations (Larry Battson) with the USFWS in West Virginia some years back.  

He was into wildlife rehabilitation and school science presentations of wildlife and such.  Among some of the documents

was a memo from USFWS about Sasquatch or Bigfoot.  Not sure if I ever scanned this document as an upload anywhere but I

have a copy of it somewhere.  Might take awhile to find it at this late date and dust it off. 

Edited by bipedalist

3 hours ago, bipedalist said:

A gentleman in Ohio actually did some presentations (Larry Battson) with the USFWS in West Virginia some years back.  

He was into wildlife rehabilitation and school science presentations of wildlife and such.........

Interesting. A former BFF participant (Saskeptic) who is now a JREF/ISF participant (Shrike) claimed to have conducted a presentation with government wildlife managers regarding their responsibility towards the sasquatch species after he debated me extensively on BFF. He denied that they had any responsibility to look into the matter, and he claimed to tell them that. 

11 hours ago, Huntster said:

The fact that the "steak" came back as bear literally confirms that he's a liar.

No, incorrect.

Smeja had strong reservations about the "steak" being bigfoot.    It was many weeks between the shooting and the collection of the sample.   Weather had changed and the "steak" was hacked off of something frozen under snow.  There was hope it was bigfoot but nothing more.   Smeja said so from the beginning.    It was Melba Ketchum who "confirmed" it was bigfoot and asked Smeja to destroy the rest of the sample with bleach, etc so there could be no DNA remaining to contradict her evaluation.    Some time after that, Bart Cutino and Tyler Huggins assisted Smeja with sending some of his remaining sample to Trent University where it was tested and determined to be bear ... conclusively.  That is more or less what Smeja expected all along.

The blood on the boots is a bit of a different story.   That was "collected" at the time of the shooting.   Problem is it was not tested until it had been in the field, including immersion in salt water, for a considerable time.   I don't recall whether the boot samples came back as blood or came back as so contaminated and so degraded that nothing identifiable was found.

MIB

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2019 at 7:35 PM, Huntster said:

We know for a fact that Lyle Laverty was directly involved in the Patterson-Gimlin film event as a witness to trace evidence at the site, was among the first people in the scene after the filming event, took photos of the footprints himself, was a government  official at the time, and eventually rose through the ranks of government to a near cabinet level position:

http://jkagroup.com/about/lyle-laverty-bio.htm#

There are also indications that Laverty had his own sighting near Hyampom, and found a nest near the PG film site at Scorpion Creek/Lonesome Ridge.

But didn't Laverty just happen upon the prints? Was he sent to find the prints? If so, this is the first I'm hearing of it. 

13 hours ago, Huntster said:

Smeja is a petty poacher, and his actions up to the shots and afterwards confirm that fact. In frustration, I'd like to feel sorry for the idiot, but I can't. If his story was true at all, all he had to do was bring the baby bigfoot out and dump it on the doorstep of the appropriate authority. The fact that the "steak" came back as bear literally confirms that he's a liar. Had it come back as "human" even the Fish and Wildlife authorities wouldn't have had a case against him.Neither would the DA, with no particular missing person.

The most interesting aspect of the entire Smeja saga was the quiet authorities.........until that DNA sample came back as bear. Then they just as quietly prosecuted the moron........and remain quiet about the case to this very day.

Smeja was completely unprepared for the experience. He's an irresponsible hunter and as a result, things took a bad turn. The bear remains were not worth anyone's time. There are interviews with him where you can see how dumb bravado turns to extreme discomfort when forced to recall each detail in sequence. He genuinely did not know how to deal with his mess and this is the result - no evidence and needlessly dead Bigfoot.

1 hour ago, MIB said:

No, incorrect.

Smeja had strong reservations about the "steak" being bigfoot.    It was many weeks between the shooting and the collection of the sample.   Weather had changed and the "steak" was hacked off of something frozen under snow.  There was hope it was bigfoot but nothing more.   Smeja said so from the beginning.    It was Melba Ketchum who "confirmed" it was bigfoot and asked Smeja to destroy the rest of the sample with bleach, etc so there could be no DNA remaining to contradict her evaluation.    Some time after that, Bart Cutino and Tyler Huggins assisted Smeja with sending some of his remaining sample to Trent University where it was tested and determined to be bear ... conclusively.  That is more or less what Smeja expected all along.

The blood on the boots is a bit of a different story.   That was "collected" at the time of the shooting.   Problem is it was not tested until it had been in the field, including immersion in salt water, for a considerable time.   I don't recall whether the boot samples came back as blood or came back as so contaminated and so degraded that nothing identifiable was found.

MIB

Everything at the scene and on his person was useless as far as evidence or DNA. 

Smeja is a poacher, poacher and poacher.  He was arrested in 2017 for hunting violations.

After his famous claims, cadaver dogs were brought in and found nothing. I am not sure of the time frame from claim to dogs.

BFF Patron

They brought in Meldrum and Mionczynski too. One of them said there were guard hairs and said a sample smelled like coyote. Still all for naught

2 hours ago, MIB said:

...........It was many weeks between the shooting and the collection of the sample.   Weather had changed and the "steak" was hacked off of something frozen under snow.  There was hope it was bigfoot but nothing more.   Smeja said so from the beginning.    It was Melba Ketchum who "confirmed" it was bigfoot and asked Smeja to destroy the rest of the sample with bleach, etc so there could be no DNA remaining to contradict her evaluation.    Some time after that, Bart Cutino and Tyler Huggins assisted Smeja with sending some of his remaining sample to Trent University where it was tested and determined to be bear ... conclusively.  That is more or less what Smeja expected all along..........

Funny story, that. Entertaining, but it gets no investment from me. It got him convicted in a court of law. That's about as scientific as it's going to get.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:39 PM, bipedalist said:

They brought in Meldrum and Mionczynski too. One of them said there were guard hairs and said a sample smelled like coyote. Still all for naught

One of the follow up investigative trips to the area noted an abundance of deer.

Edited by Arvedis

2 hours ago, The Truth said:

But didn't Laverty just happen upon the prints? Was he sent to find the prints? If so, this is the first I'm hearing of it. 

The Laverty part of the PG film story is among the most interesting of all. He was the only government official involved, he had prior experience with a nest and footprints, his, private photos got into the public sphere almost immediately, yet he has remained very quiet about his side of the event.

Laverty had heard of the filming while off for the weekend in Eureka, and on their way back to work, he went to the site and took the photos. It is clear that he was a "bleever", and he was wise to remain quiet about his opinions. His career turned out very successfully.

50 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

........this is the result - no evidence and needlessly dead Bigfoot.........

AFAIC, "no evidence" strongly indicates no dead sasquatches. I have no reason on Earth to believe his story at all.

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, Huntster said:

AFAIC, "no evidence" strongly indicates no dead sasquatches. I have no reason on Earth to believe his story at all.

That always seems to be the case. We are left with nothing but anecdotals and unsubstantiated clues. I actually dismissed this incident for several years. What swayed me was more recent video interviews with he and the other guy he was with.

Edited by Arvedis