How Far Up The Ladder Does Knowledge Of Sasquatch Go?

hiflier

14 hours ago, NatFoot said:

So....this just popped into my mind.

Special Forces have to have some sort of proof of BF. They're in the most remote areas of the world, train in BF territory with some of the most advanced equipment in the world.

If there wasn't a hush order on BF, these folks would talk about this stuff post service. Can't talk about shooting Osama, but a BF story at the bar should be fair game if they've never been told not to divulge it.

You ask and you shall receive:

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=6486

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

The use of the military ridge and known cover just supports my contention that BF are at or near human intelligence.   Perhaps that requires further explanation.    If you move along a ridge you are silhouetted against the sky.   If you move along just below the ridge you can use vegetation cover there to avoid being seen from that side, are not silhouetted, and over the ridge for those on the other side.   Using cuts allows crossing the ridge line and getting to the back side away from searchers without silhouetting.       Certainly their very existence to present day is likely due to their ability to avoid humans.   

18 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

^^^^^ I am a huge Mel Brooks fan.  Mel Brooks and associates have lived in houses that farts built.  He is still alive. A Master.

Abbey Normal is part of my daily lexicon.      There is a lot of Abbey Normal going around.  

15 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

The use of the military ridge and known cover just supports my contention that BF are at or near human intelligence.   Perhaps that requires further explanation.    If you move along a ridge you are silhouetted against the sky.   If you move along just below the ridge you can use vegetation cover there to avoid being seen from that side, are not silhouetted, and over the ridge for those on the other side.   Using cuts allows crossing the ridge line and getting to the back side away from searchers without silhouetting.       Certainly their very existence to present day is likely due to their ability to avoid humans.   

Abbey Normal is part of my daily lexicon.      There is a lot of Abbey Normal going around.  

Im not sure that is strictly intelligence. A Cougar is one of the stealthiest creatures in the forest. Some people go a life time without actually seeing one in the wild.

That doesnt mean a Cougar is going to crack fusion energy or put men on the moon.

17 minutes ago, norseman said:

That doesnt mean a Cougar is going to crack fusion energy or put men on the moon

And Sasquatch or any Great Apes would even think to.

BFF Patron
7 minutes ago, norseman said:

Im not sure that is strictly intelligence. A Cougar is one of the stealthiest creatures in the forest. Some people go a life time without actually seeing one in the wild.

That doesnt mean a Cougar is going to crack fusion energy or put men on the moon.

I said at or near human intelligence.   You think a cougar understands the military ridge concept?     I had a 15 yard face to face encounter with a cougar but not with a BF at the same distance.    The cougar chose to jump right in front of me.      The cougar glared at me for 10 or 15 seconds then walked off down the logging road I had been using on a mountain bike.   It could have hankered down on the ridge above me and I would have never seen it.   You can believe a BF in the same circumstances would have never exposed itself.  

Just now, SWWASAS said:

I said at or near human intelligence.   You think a cougar understands the military ridge concept?     I had a 15 yard face to face encounter with a cougar but not with a BF at the same distance.    The cougar chose to jump right in front of me.      The cougar glared at me for 10 or 15 seconds then walked off down the logging road I had been using on a mountain bike.   It could have hankered down on the ridge above me and I would have never seen it.   You can believe a BF in the same circumstances would have never exposed itself.  

Maybe the Cougar was fixing to eat you and then thought better of it.

Cats are cowards.

Did you see the cat stalking you for probably hundreds of yards or maybe a mile before it jumped out at you? Probably not.

Tell me this. Whats the last thing a person from the 411 books sees? Probably a Bigfoot jumping out at them from 15 feet away?

Ive been stalked many times by Cougar. The only way I knew it was is I made a loop and I had cougar tracks on top of my back trail.

I guarantee you that you have had more close calls with Cougar than you will ever know.

Obviously a Primate is smarter than a Cat. But it stands to reason that the cat does an excellent job of being sneaky.

BFF Patron

I fully respect how stealthy cougars are.    I have likely been stalked before based on tracks I found that had followed me down trails.     I encountered a woman alone on the Oregon Coast that was being stalked by a cougar.   She was oblivious to the fact it was in the area.   I hate to think what would have happened to her had I not been in the area.      My  cat was chasing deer who ran across the road right in front of me.     I stopped,  hoping a BF would come down the ridge after them.    One of the deer looked back back at something else but me,   so I figured they were being chased.     Nothing followed so you are probably right that the cougar stayed behind and above me for about a 1/4 mile stalking me.       It was steep uphill and I was in super low gear grinding up the mountain so was much easier prey than the deer.      When I stopped to take a break it jumped down in front of me.     Typically it would have taken me from behind and the only thing I can figure out why it didn't, was I was wearing a bike helmet and a pack on my back.    Maybe my neck (its preferred target) was not evident.    I mount my digital sound recorder on the top of a pack right behind my neck further impeding access to my neck.    A cougar in the same area got itself shot right after my encounter.    It apparently had gotten too interested in humans.  It very well could have been the same one.    

I think BF take their prey from behind like a cougar.    When I was trying to get a BF I heard moving around to break cover,   one flanked me and was closing on me from behind.   So if BF take down humans they may never see what got them.    Just walking they can easily catch a human from behind.  

In India they make masks with eyes and wear them on the back of their head. It deters Tigers!!! The darn Tiger dont like something looking at it while its stalking! Crazy.

Anyhow, Im just trying to make the point you dont need human level intelligence to be stealthy.

BFF Patron

You have a good point about stealthy behavior of some animals.       My point is I see differences in behavior between BF and cougar.        I have yet to see cougars or bear go to great length to avoid leaving footprints.     The cougar was plodding down a muddy trail following the young woman I mentioned.   Bear leave prints all over the place and do not seem to mind plodding through mud.   However bear avoid humans and are really not seen very often in spite of their relatively large numbers.    I had a wolf follow me for a while on a trail,  plodding right down a muddy trail for several hundred yards.    But I never saw it.      Most of my BF footprints finds were BF stepping across human trails trying to avoid leaving prints in mud or soft dirt of the trail.   I have never found one on a trail indicating the BF was using the tail.    They seem to avoid use of human trails even when doing otherwise is a lot of work.     My first find was next to a human trail that was steep switch backs up a mountain side.    The BF came straight up the mountain on a path that would have required me to use rope, stepped on one trail margin then across the trail to the other side,  and continued straight up the mountainside.   Energy wise,  it would have  been far easier to walk up the switchbacks.   But the trail was muddy and it would have left a significant trackway.     A couple of places I have found what seem to be active BF trails parallel to human trails.    Why bother unless you understand the danger or leaving tracks for human trackers to find.     To me that behavior is different than other stealthy animals and significant.     Significant in that it seems to indicate intelligent behavior unlike other stealthy animals and may indicate BF is a skilled tracker in it's own right.   .      

Edited by SWWASAS

2 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

You have a good point about stealthy behavior of some animals.       My point is I see differences in behavior between BF and cougar.        I have yet to see cougars or bear go to great length to avoid leaving footprints.     The cougar was plodding down a muddy trail following the young woman I mentioned.   Bear leave prints all over the place and do not seem to mind plodding through mud.   However bear avoid humans and are really not seen very often in spite of their relatively large numbers.    I had a wolf follow me for a while on a trail,  plodding right down a muddy trail for several hundred yards.    But I never saw it.      Most of my BF footprints finds were BF stepping across human trails trying to avoid leaving prints in mud or soft dirt of the trail.   I have never found one on a trail indicating the BF was using the tail.    They seem to avoid use of human trails even when doing otherwise is a lot of work.     My first find was next to a human trail that was steep switch backs up a mountain side.    The BF came straight up the mountain on a path that would have required me to use rope, stepped on one trail margin then across the trail to the other side,  and continued straight up the mountainside.   Energy wise,  it would have  been far easier to walk up the switchbacks.   But the trail was muddy and it would have left a significant trackway.     A couple of places I have found what seem to be active BF trails parallel to human trails.    Why bother unless you understand the danger or leaving tracks for human trackers to find.     To me that behavior is different than other stealthy animals and significant.     Significant in that it seems to indicate intelligent behavior unlike other stealthy animals.      

In other words, instead of relying on instinctive stealth it is being intentionally stealthy.  Am I summarizing you correctly?

11 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

You have a good point about stealthy behavior of some animals.       My point is I see differences in behavior between BF and cougar.        I have yet to see cougars or bear go to great length to avoid leaving footprints.     The cougar was plodding down a muddy trail following the young woman I mentioned.   Bear leave prints all over the place and do not seem to mind plodding through mud.   However bear avoid humans and are really not seen very often in spite of their relatively large numbers.    I had a wolf follow me for a while on a trail,  plodding right down a muddy trail for several hundred yards.    But I never saw it.      Most of my BF footprints finds were BF stepping across human trails trying to avoid leaving prints in mud or soft dirt of the trail.   I have never found one on a trail indicating the BF was using the tail.    They seem to avoid use of human trails even when doing otherwise is a lot of work.     My first find was next to a human trail that was steep switch backs up a mountain side.    The BF came straight up the mountain on a path that would have required me to use rope, stepped on one trail margin then across the trail to the other side,  and continued straight up the mountainside.   Energy wise,  it would have  been far easier to walk up the switchbacks.   But the trail was muddy and it would have left a significant trackway.     A couple of places I have found what seem to be active BF trails parallel to human trails.    Why bother unless you understand the danger or leaving tracks for human trackers to find.     To me that behavior is different than other stealthy animals and significant.     Significant in that it seems to indicate intelligent behavior unlike other stealthy animals and may indicate BF is a skilled tracker in it's own right.   .      

And yet?

We have thousands of track casts....

Chimps are aware of their own trackways according to Meldrum. They just do not attempt to hide them in the wild.

I dont think its a stretch to suppose Bigfeet are aware. But Im sure there are times thats its just not expedient or practical to try and hide them.

Its not like Patty was carrying a Fir bough and brushing her back trail....

BFF Patron

Evidence seems to point that way however differentiation is subtle.   What I detailed above are but a few examples.    I spend a lot of time at a footprint find trying to figure out what the BF was doing and why.       Much of what they do seems to be learned behavior.   Some of my few interactions seem to be with juveniles.      My theory is that juveniles may be encouraged to interact with selected humans who do not present a threat because of past benign behavior of a human.   .   A favorite game seems to be approach, interact by tossing a rock,  and withdraw without being seen.   Twice I had my pack hit by a rock in the same area but on widely separated days.   One of those times I heard the padding footsteps just before I was hit.   I twirled around and could not see the rock tosser.   That is very disconcerting.    If a juvenile can pull that off,  avoiding a human with a gun intent on harm is a lot easier.  

Again you are correct.    BF behavior in remote areas need not be the same.      I doubt Patty expected a human encounter that day.    In areas where humans are common,  it is likely that BF only move around at night.   You set up camp in a remote place and you likely force BF into only moving about at night.     Sometimes reports indicate their displeasure.    

Edited by SWWASAS

1 minute ago, norseman said:

And yet?

We have thousands of track casts....

Chimps are aware of their own trackways according to Meldrum. They just do not attempt to hide them in the wild.

I dont think its a stretch to suppose Bigfeet are aware. But Im sure there are times thats its just not expedient or practical to try and hide them.

Its not like Patty was carrying a Fir bough and brushing her back trail....

What would a BF fear out in the wild?  Why would it hide its tracks when hunting, as far as I know, deer (or any other animal) don't look for tracks but rely on sight, sound, and smell.  The BF trying to hide its tracks would seem like something only done when it knows it's encountered something inclined to look for tracks.  

Do chimps look for tracks of other animals in the wild?  Do BF look for tracks when hunting?