I ain't sayin' it was actually a Bigfoot...

Rockape

I'm just not saying it wasn't either.

North Carolina toddler who was missing for 3 days says he ‘hung out with a bear’

CRAVEN COUNTY, N.C. – It took three harrowing days for a search team to find Casey Hathaway alive.

Facing heavy rain, gusty winds and low visibility, rescuers and law enforcement combed the difficult Craven County, North Carolina, terrain — focusing on up to 1,000 acres of heavily wooded areas.

On day three, a tip led the search team to a spot where they were able to hear the 3-year-old calling out for his mother, Craven County Sheriff Chip Hughes told reporters at a news conference Thursday night.

They followed his call 40 to 50 yards into the woods, through water, to find Hathaway tangled in vines and thorns, Hughes said.

The boy told deputies that he spent two days hanging out with a bear

• Upvote 2

It would be interesting to hear the story from the boy himself.

I don't have personal experiences with bears but I have a hard time thinking they'd 'hand out' with a human child.

Are there any reports about how far away he was from where he was taken?

And what's up with the 'tip'?  Does BF have cell phones now?

Edited by Old Time Lifter

I'm guessing the "tip" was someone who thought they heard a kid yelling in the woods, they said he was calling for his mother when they found him.

As for the "bear"? Who knows, kids have vivid imaginations, or maybe it was a dream. Maybe it was a kindly bigfoot.

1 hour ago, RedHawk454 said:

A similar situation was reported in Missing 411 mayhapz 100 years ago or more.

Lots of reports about how female Bigfoots seem to have a fascination with human children.

Edited by Rockape

Admin

For the benefit of the slider...

firefox_2019-01-26_13-55-34.png

• gigantor featured this topic

The search groups included K-9 units. As this event plays out, it will be interesting to learn if a K-9 dog  'smelled' the child after recovery. Trained noses know the difference between bears and others.  How about a very large dog?

It is a happy ending, especially with the cold weather factor.

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

........Lots of reports about how female Bigfoots seem to have a fascination with human children.

Actually, it seems to me that it tends to be young males that are fascinated with kids.

Admin

I think there was a case back in the 70's/80's in WA where a young boy (3 or 4?) went missing for 2-3 days and basically told the same kind of story (I do not remember his exact terminology...). KInd of thinking that the only way a bear (at least one grown or nearly so) would hang out with a kid is if the child was lunch.

19 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Actually, it seems to me that it tends to be young males that are fascinated with kids.

I'm not aware of any involving males except abductions where the child was never found. I have seen a few reports where what was considered a female watching children play. You have to wonder why the kid wandered off in the woods to begin with. Maybe he saw something and followed it.

Found another story about this. The "tip" came from a woman who was walking her dogs and heard crying in the woods.

Woman who heard Casey crying calls it a miracle that he was found alive

More about the "bear" in this report...

Fraker's son Noah is a friend of Casey's family, and was at the hospital Thursday night when Casey told him he wasn't in the woods alone.

Noah Denis says, "Casey said a bear was his best friend for two days, so I just wanna give him a big hug. That's all I want to do, is give him a big hug."

Admin

OK, found it. It appeared in the book, The Locals, and also in The Track Record #18 (July 1992; where I saw it a number of years ago). It happened in 1989 in Oregon. The summary is as follows (from the Track Record):

Joseph Edwin Leffler (3), disappeared from his mobile home, SE of Estacada. He told his mother he was going "fishing" (play fishing) on a creek, only 200 feet from the house. The boy was lightly dressed, wore sneakers, and had with him two adult male, part dingo-part Australian shepherd dogs, Dan and Jack, and a small white puppy.

Trackers found tracks of the boy and his dogs a mile west of the boys home, heading downstream through marshy ground on nearby Delph Creek.

The search team found a series of barefoot, "four-toed," footprints, and the boys tracks disappeared. The tracks were measured at 27 inches, with a five foot stride. The tracking dog sniffed and ignored the Bigfoot tracks, hunting for the boy’s spoor which had mysteriously disappeared near a roadway.

The Air Force had two helicopters with infrared video cameras taping their progress while crisscrossing the area in a search grid.  About that time they noticed a huge object on the FLIR system, something they've never seen before. They wanted the trackers to go and check it out; they did find tracks again, and they were of the same size that they had seen near the creek earlier.

About that time little Joey walked up to a different searcher, one of the search team members in a wooded area near the search base camp. "His first comment was, besides that, “he was hungry”, before anybody could talk to him, a big hairy monster came and got him, and the three dogs, kept him safe. Fed him berries and showed him where the creek was (how to drink). They slept in a mining cave. And when the helicopter came up, he (the monster) got scared and left, and he (Joey) took off."

I have been able to find no other collaborating data on this incident.

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, Rockape said:

I'm not aware of any involving males except abductions where the child was never found. I have seen a few reports where what was considered a female watching children play. You have to wonder why the kid wandered off in the woods to begin with. Maybe he saw something and followed it.

One of those incidents occurred in Old Fort, McDowell Co., NC  it was of a mother watching her children playing and noting a BF at the woodline doing the same, it now appears that report has been sanitized from the bfro site or was a privately reported one. 

• gigantor unfeatured this topic