For the knowers who have seen them up close...

NatFoot

.As for leaning forward while walking, when using a compliant gait, a bit of a forward lean can add a good bit of speed, as well as scanning for hazards. I've had osteoarthritis in my knees for decades, so I'm well versed in walking in such a manner, as its much easier on knees over distance. 

Also, being a so.California fella, I'm barefoot when ever possible(I'll walk to the store, and then put on shoes before I go in) and you can build up serious calluses in relatively little time. I could step on gravel or sticks quite easily as well as hot or cold surfaces(I went mostly barefoot in tucson for a few years too..that took some acclimation!) And there was little need to examine every step I took, but rather scanning for larger hazards. Out in the hills around here, it's not sharp things most on my mind when barefoot, but rather the potential for venomous snakes, which I wonder may be the root cause of some of those three toes prints reported on occasion...

Guest Stringerbell89
4 hours ago, guyzonthropus said:

.As for leaning forward while walking, when using a compliant gait, a bit of a forward lean can add a good bit of speed, as well as scanning for hazards. I've had osteoarthritis in my knees for decades, so I'm well versed in walking in such a manner, as its much easier on knees over distance. 

Also, being a so.California fella, I'm barefoot when ever possible(I'll walk to the store, and then put on shoes before I go in) and you can build up serious calluses in relatively little time. I could step on gravel or sticks quite easily as well as hot or cold surfaces(I went mostly barefoot in tucson for a few years too..that took some acclimation!) And there was little need to examine every step I took, but rather scanning for larger hazards. Out in the hills around here, it's not sharp things most on my mind when barefoot, but rather the potential for venomous snakes, which I wonder may be the root cause of some of those three toes prints reported on occasion...

Pic of feet?