Alaska Firewood People

Madison5716

No. Not a business. Just got our firewood in for the year. Both houses, my son and mine.

Rented the processor for 1 day. Fed it with my excavator. And borrowed neighbors old dump truck.

• Like 1

BFF Patron

Like I said sweet, saw that posted up on another thread and thought it was pretty cool.  

• Upvote 1

I think he just added that it was a "Bigfoot" structure to get hits on youtube.

Those trees were still in the ground at the roots, and it was open area around from the opposite direction from where they fell. That would mean the wind could have got a good push on them, most likely when it was wet and the ground was loose, and blew them over. The ones that are in the middle of a thick forest that is protected from the wind and have been moved from where they grew out of the ground are harder to explain as a natural occurrence. 

9 hours ago, Rockape said:

I bought a wood burning stove for the addition I built on back of my house, then remembered all those years I spent cutting, splitting and hauling firewood for three different houses, and came to my senses. That things been sitting in my barn collecting rust, I'll stick with my gas heat.

LOL!......yeah, it heats twice; the first time as you sweat chopping, sawing, splitting, and bucking, and the second time when you burn it. 

As a primary source of heat, it kinda' sucks in that way, but as a backup, it's the best there is, especially if you live in a forest. I have an efficient wood burning setup in my home, a cord of wood on hand, and there it sets for when the gas stops...........

8 hours ago, norseman said:

..........Just got our firewood in for the year. Both houses, my son and mine.

Rented the processor for 1 day. Fed it with my excavator. And borrowed neighbors old dump truck.

Nice. Were the logs delivered? Looks like the cat's meow for straight evergreen logs, but it wouldn't work so well on trees like birch.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

As a primary source of heat, it kinda' sucks in that way, but as a backup, it's the best there is, especially if you live in a forest. I have an efficient wood burning setup in my home, a cord of wood on hand, and there it sets for when the gas stops...........

Yeah, I kept mine as a backup just in case. I have everything to install it and it wouldn't take long to do. I have used it in my shop a few times, burning scrap lumber. It came inches from falling into the sinkhole that opened up and swallowed the back half of my shop. I've been going to rebuild my room I had there, close it in and use the wood burner in the winter when it's cold enough. Haven't got around to that yet though.

44 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Looks like the cat's meow for straight evergreen logs, but it wouldn't work so well on trees like birch.

Yeah, Norse has got it whipped with that thing. I could probably handle some firewood cutting if I had that.

Don't folks in Alaska use a lot of Spruce for firewood? Looks like Spruce that guy was cutting. Those things look a lot like Pines and we have a ton of Pines around here but don't use them for firewood because they are so full of rosin they really soot up your chimney. Seems like Spruce would do that too.

Edited by Rockape

16 minutes ago, Rockape said:

........Don't folks in Alaska use a lot of Spruce for firewood? Looks like Spruce that guy was cutting. Those things look a lot like Pines and we have a ton of Pines around here but don't use them for firewood because they are so full of rosin they really soot up your chimney. Seems like Spruce would do that too.

Yeah, white, black, and Sitka spruce are very common firewood targets. Southeast Alaska also has several cedars and fir among the evergreens available, but in most of Alaska, it's white and black spruce and birch. Where I live, there's actually more birch and aspen than spruce. As a hardwood, birch is a very desirable firewood because it burns very hot and has less pitch than spruce which helps create creosote in the flue, which builds a chiminy fire hazard.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Nice. Were the logs delivered? Looks like the cat's meow for straight evergreen logs, but it wouldn't work so well on trees like birch.

Yes. We won a load of tops at a benefit for a injured logger. Usually I just pull logs off the ranch.

There was some Birch in the load. Pretty straight. Ive also encountered Western red cedar and lodgepole pine. The load is suppose to be fir and larch.

Here is the view from the other side. I have the mulching head for the excavator now. Excited. Now I just need to get the grousers welded on. Thats the project over the next couple of days. The thing is helpless right now.

In snow.

• Upvote 1