The Actual Developing Of The Pgf (3)

Guest Admin

3 hours ago, OldMort said:

It was Gimlin who stated that it was he who grabbed the camera and went after the creature prior to being called back by Patterson who feared for his own safety.

I had not heard this.

I watched a video of a Gimlin where he jokes about Roger wanting him to “come back” esp. since Roger was left there with no gun right after the encounter with just his camera and, “without any film left in it” ( audience laughs).

I didn’t know - if true- Gimlin took the camera and went forward to try to “see Patty again” but it could very well be and I have this wrong.

I thought Roger understood and made it clear to Gimlin he ran out of film.  Then, only after things calmed did Roger get down under a poncho, changed the film to reload the camera with Roll #2.  At this point I don’t think Gimlin left the scene with the camera but instead participated in the stomp test.  Then he filmed the a  plaster cast being poured by Roger about that same time.   

While I had not heard or understood Gimlin took the camera with him, I could have this completely wrong.

The obvious question in my mind is did Bob create anything via videography without Roger? After his death? Bob is now over 80 years old…

Plenty of time to explore his passion if videography truly was his passion!

Ive met Bob, and would say his true passion involves western horsemanship, and not cameras.

Backdoc, Its in P and G's first interview, just days after the filming. The full transcript of that interview can be found here: - Bigfoot Encounters

Gimlin: "After chasing them (the horses) up and down the road for a little while and finally catching them, well we talked it over and I said I'd check around and see if maybe I could find some tracks where she had come into this area and possibly sight the other one so I grabbed the camera and...."

The story has changed over the years somewhat. The sequence of events you are referencing seems to coincide more with Gimlin's interview with John Green which was quite a few years later. That interview can also be found at the Bigfoot Encounters site.

Its difficult to know with any certainty what the exact sequence of events really was.

Edited by OldMort
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OldMort said:

Backdoc, Its in P and G's first interview, just days after the filming. The full transcript of that interview can be found here: - Bigfoot Encounters

Gimlin: "After chasing them (the horses) up and down the road for a little while and finally catching them, well we talked it over and I said I'd check around and see if maybe I could find some tracks where she had come into this area and possibly sight the other one so I grabbed the camera and...."

The story has changed over the years somewhat. The sequence of events you are referencing seems to coincide more with Gimlin's interview with John Green which was quite a few years later. That interview can also be found at the Bigfoot Encounters site.

Its difficult to know with any certainty what the exact sequence of events really was.

That is the frustration.   I tend to think what people say early after an event tends generally to be more accurate.    In this case who knows.    If it’s a real event then he either took the camera with him or he didn’t.  If it’s a hoax then Gimlin is a liar who can’t be believed about much of anything.   

This is another point Gimlin should be pressed on. 

My best guess:  it makes the most sense Gimlin didn’t/ wouldn’t take the camera at first.   The first roll ran out when Roger stopped filming.  Someone would have to reload the film with reel #2 before he could even leave with the camera.   Roger must have indicated to Bob he ran out of film.  Gimlin has said as much.  It makes no sense for Gimlin to take a spent camera.  Roger wouldn’t likely let the camera go without removing and protecting Reel #1.      

Things like this which make my head spin. He said what he said early on.  He said something a bit different on this point ( if I understand his meaning) years later.

I could imagine he may have taken Roger’s camera After reloading real #2 and then took off a second time (after being called back the first time).  If so, this would occur after they got the horses rounded up and at that time Roger would join him .  I would assume then Roger would be the one armed with the camera, his own gun on his own horse and Gimlin on his.  They might then set off and see this ‘wet footprint’  and  ‘scuff‘ and other signs.  Then, they give up the tracking and go back and do their reported post-encounter flurry: Stomp test, trackway filming, and plaster pour.   It’s only the plaster pour and the picture of Roger standing by the Tree holding casts (darkness?) where Gimlin needs to operate the camera post-encounter.

i don’t know what to believe but thanks OM for finding/posting what Gimlin said.

• Upvote 1

Just a small fact for those of you who never operated a film camera:  When it runs out of film, and it's still running, the noise from inside the film chamber is quite noticeable and distinct from the normal sound when film is running through the gate (exception being a blimped camera, with the "blimp" a common term for a soundproof shell around the camera so sound microphones don't pick up camera noise. But the K-100, like all wind-up 16mm cameras, was not blimped (soundproofed). So when it runs, you hear the film transport very loudly and easily) .  So an experienced cameraman, as Roger was, would recognize the sound and know his camera ran out. Of course, he could also look at the footage gauge to make sure, but a run-out sound is quite obvious and distinct. So if Bob took the camera, and Roger hadn't reloaded, he would have told Bob "Don't bother. It's out of film."

• Upvote 2