Low End Gear And Research Equipment

hiflier

Yeah but, Yeah but......when a bear is snorting around the entrance to your tent you're gonna wish you had that cowbell.

And sure, big trouble or big luck. Snap decision time: Human or Sasquatch, thermal or gun..........paper or plastic, regular or decaf, ketchup or mustard. One might have, oh lets say, two seconds to choose? Prolly gun. It'll kind cover all the bases.

9 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Yeah but, Yeah but......when a bear is snorting around the entrance to your tent you're gonna wish you had that cowbell.

And sure, big trouble or big luck. Snap decision time: Human or Sasquatch, thermal or gun..........paper or plastic, regular or decaf, ketchup or mustard. One might have, oh lets say, two seconds to choose? Prolly gun. It'll kind cover all the bases.

Rock, paper, scissors...........12 gauge,  slug

Easy one, Cat. Slug.

Another piece of reasonably affordable equipment is an infrared thermometer. The come in various detection distances. A 30:1 for instance will measure the heat signature of a 1 foot circle at 30 feet away. A 50:1 is more expensive of course but still less than half what a Flir Scout TK would run. The IR's are small, light weight, and will read temperature of say 98.6 (+ or - a degree or two). Nearly all have a lit display the ones with a narrower heat detector range cost less. Most have a laser pointer built in to help in knowing where it's. Shaped like a gun with a button where the trigger would be and there are many brands to choose from. This one could reasonable measure a 2 foot diameter circle out to 100 feet:

https://www.amazon.com/Non-contract-Thermometer-30-1150°C-22-2102°F-Professional/dp/B07KC99V26/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=infrared+thermometer+30%3A1&qid=1549836705&s=home-garden&sr=1-30  

Edited by hiflier

Do you have non contact handheld IR meters?  I have two for work: bearings, pumps, electric motors, circuit breakers, relays, engines etc. Very handy. I have wanted to measure the fur of a black bear.  I hesitate to 'show' the aiming laser in the forest. If I can see it, so can other animals.  I do not use a laser pointer to aim my trail cameras for that reason.

How do you aim your trail cameras? I use an optical gadget with several nicknames: "Secret Spy Lens", "Sneaky Pete" lens.   Made by Spiratone, the Circo-Mirrotach is a right angle mirror viewer made for cameras. Long out of production, they can be found on ebay for about $20.  I place the unit backwards ( non camo end ) over the lens area of the trail cam and the target area is displayed at me, standing at the side of the cam. The image is reversed.  I added camo, mesh and scuffed the surface to reduce reflections on one unit.  Use one to look sideways and fool the animal that is watching you.

IMG_3195.JPG

IMG_3196.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

Not too many remaining. There are smaller right angle gadgets available.

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Do you have non contact handheld IR meters?  I have two for work: bearings, pumps, electric motors, circuit breakers, relays, engines etc. Very handy. I have wanted to measure the fur of a black bear.  I hesitate to 'show' the aiming laser in the forest. If I can see it, so can other animals.  I do not use a laser pointer to aim my trail cameras for that reason.

Yes I do and it works fine. The trick is to learn how to "read" materials. For instance, wrapping electrical tape around a copper pipe will get you a way more accurate reading. This is something that can change with the seasons of course. But over time one does learn a few things although I have not had one that has a great distance to spot ratio which is why I'm upgrading to the one in the link. My first one was only about $20 and is also only a 12:1. The one in the link is four times that and I had been waiting for one to show up that was reasonable but had a high ratio. Lots of companies make these things as you know including FLIR. The trick was to find a low cost one that had the 50:1 that I have been looking for. It isn't as small as my first one but for the price and free shipping..........

Like the right angle mirror idea a lot.  Sure beats climbing trees but that's been my approach. Try to get one up to about 15 ft. Created a loop-step rope ladder for the purpose with 6 inch aluminum ferrules to place my feet on that hold the loops open. which makes it so much easier to find a foothold when coming back down. I was going to use static climbing rope to minimize stretch but have decided to just replace the braided rope I used with 1/4" paracord. It will stretch a bit too but for only 15-20 feet it should be negligible. I haven't experimented with using the rope to get a hammock into a tree but don't see what it wouldn't work and then just pull up the ladder once one is in place.  

More stuff for your pack(s).

The knives are made by Victorinox, nicknamed 'vicki' knives, they are wicked. Don't be fooled by the small size. Think of them as 'long' scalpels. The knife without sheath is $7----$8.

You are going to be taking notes. The 'reporters notebook' fits in your hand. You can carry them in the Kinesis reporter notebook pouch, $4.95.  And that 4 color BIC pen that you have not seen since grade school. Field notes are not necessarily black or blue ink. Emphasize important details with other colors. 

I am not a big advocate of bear deterrent spray ( unless it is 12 gauge ).  The Orion brand plastic 12 gauge  pistol works for flash bang shells (yellow ) to scare animals and the red shells are red flares for distress signaling.

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text
  • Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic

I re-read what you wrote about IR thermometers and "lasering" animals. Many, including the one I am ordering, offer a laser toggle off feature because I don't like sending out a laser either. Would hate to accidently damage an eye when eyes are so important to an animal's survival.

Tripod for ugly terrain. I set up my trusty STAR D tripod for difficult terrain. I used furniture sliders and plastic flag pole holders. The plastic flag pole holders were about $8. I think 4" furniture sliders were the same.

The goal

IMG_3133.JPG

Remove the foam piece on the bottom. The concentric rings help position the flag holder foot for drilling. Drill from the bottom side. Shown below are the stainless steel washer, metric wavy washer, metric nut and a ss shim. The dishwasher drain hose goes around the bottom tripod leg. Split for insertion. The wavy washer is for pressure. The nyloc nut is just snug so that the feet pivot freely.

IMG_3127.JPG

Standard ss screws and nuts are used to attach the flag holder base to the furniture slider.

IMG_3126.JPG 

IMG_3128.JPG

The below surface has to be smooth.

IMG_3129.JPG

There is a slot where the shim was placed. The shim prevents the pressure screw from gouging the tripod leg.

IMG_3130.JPG

The dishwasher drain hose is slipped onto the leg.

IMG_3131.JPG

The tripod legs are inserted. The pressure screw holds the new feet in place. The tape just holds the ss shim.The all terrain feet can be  independently rotated about the tripod leg(s) to adjust to compound curve terrain.

IMG_3136.JPG

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text

How about some flash and flash holders for photomacrography? 

"CoverMate" bags make for cheap rain covers. I buy them at Target. Couple bucks per bag and you get 10 bags, various sizes. I can operate all controls through the plastic.

I modified 2 "Plamp" clamps. I set up the small clamp to take a cold foot mount 2 ways ----- sideways and vertical. I clamp them onto the tripod legs. I made a smaller "Plamp" set up to hold optional extra items like a white plastic sheet to set custom white balance.

IMG_3158.JPG

This type of cold shoe allows for clearance of the rain protection bag. Set up for side ways support.

IMG_3162.JPG

I added copper wires to stiffen the structure. I bought this size because it was a good price in the remnant bin at the hardware store.

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

The below image is a Vivitar 285HV being held sideways with CoverMate bag.

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

A small piece of plastic bag (not shown ) can be added to the clamping area to minimize punctures from the clamp.

IMG_3170.JPG

The below image shows the vertical support position.

IMG_3178.JPG

Don't believe for one minute that you need high dollar, high-zoot flashes. Small units can be placed on the ground for side-lighting/contrast or hand held/aimed. Operate on slave mode. These small flashes were about $10 on ebay. They operate on 2 AA batteries.

IMG_3240.JPG

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text

11 hours ago, hiflier said:

I have thought about that myself, wiiawiwb. Part of the issue here is that there just isn't a history of even moderate activity to a point where there would be known areas to set up research. Maine is vast and if Sasquatches are here they are vastly under reported as well. Being a musician for so many years I have extremely sensitive recording mics which if installed into a dish might just pick up something that might make me never leave my house again! ;) Heck, even MICE would sound like bears walking around LOL. And bears would sound like......... :O ........nevermind 

Carrying the 12"-18" parabolic dish and sound equipment by backpack would be awkward. There are a few places I go by jeep trail and 4-wheel drive that it would be fine as the carry for all of them would be less than 1/4 mile.  Almost two years ago, I was out with a buddy for a weekend doing our sasquatching. One night, we heard two wood knocks respond to our knock and both were very close. I would love to have had the parabolic mic then to listen for any footfalls it might have picked up.

If I were clever, and I'm not, I would come up with some parabolic dish that was portable and would collapse somehow for easy transport. I've always thought about using a large photographer's lighting umbrella and attaching something that could be inserted in the field to hold the microphone. That way the umbrella could collapse and be carried in the water pocket of the backpack.  Here is a setup that uses an umbrella but the hand-holder is permanently attached to the umbrella.

https://youtu.be/BvP0OlfXaSU

https://www.fjwestcott.com/media/wysiwyg/light_modifiers_umbrellas_spread_parabolic.jpg - replace the light with a mic. She can be my sherpa and learn about the finer things of sasquatchery!!

Not sure how to fix a hand holder to an umbrella so it would still collapse. If anyone thinks an umbrella could work, I'd love to hear it.

Edited because somehow I posted it three times.

Edited by wiiawiwb

32 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

She can be my sherpa and learn about the finer things of sasquatchery!!

Hmm...maybe SHE herself could use a Sherpa? TBH after three miles with a 40 lb. pack I do sometimes wish for a Sherpa. Those guys are amazing.

There was a post recently about hunting clothing that grounds the wearer. I do not follow camo clothing too much. Only ASAT.  There are other was to ground one self and cheaper than hunting garments. There are wrist band types with a wire and alligator clip. I am aware of set ups to place on your footwear. i don't have those. A place to ground to and intermediate ground wire connection to your wrist is needed. Beware of electrical storms. Do not be a reenactor for Ben Franklin's and Young Frankenstein's kite activity.

IMG_3227.JPG

This is a pokey thing to stick into whatever you want to ground to.  A 'T' head pin soldered to an eye and wire.

IMG_3246.JPG

This set up is for remaining stationary.

Edited by Catmandoo
adding text

Admin
7 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

There was a post recently about hunting clothing that grounds the wearer.

Why do you need to ground yourself?

On 2/9/2019 at 6:05 PM, hiflier said:

You know? I just might do that in the near future :)

As an added note, not everyone is comfortable being in the forest at night. For about $15 each one can acquire motion lights to aim out from the camp. They are good out to about 15 or 20 feet and so if place 20 feet away something moving coming down a trail toward camp at about 40 feet away will get illuminated. it will remain dark until then which means one won't have to juggle a flashlight unless something is farther from their location. Trails can be very packed down and so much quieter than surrounding vegetation so a motion light aimed down the trail, or a couple spaced in series about 15 feet apart, is a good option for lighting up the approach from the trail. 

Hiflier,

I too, would love to see a demo of your little monocular, if and when you get a chance. By the way, this is a great idea for a thread.

The motion lights are an interesting idea, too. But with the IR that they use, wouldn't that warn off a creature if the general consensus is that they can see into that IR spectrum?  Or am I off base in the way they work?  Thanks, I am just trying to learn.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic