Low End Gear And Research Equipment

hiflier

Motion lights from what I have read are not IR emitters but are more like a thermal imager which passively detects changes in temperature. The motion sensor passively monitors the heat in it angle of detection and when a warm body enters the field it detects the temperature change and turns on the light. This isn't like a supermarket door opener which sends out microwaves radar-style and then quickly calibrates the time it takes for the microwaves to bounce back to its receiver.

And sure, I'll get something up from the NV scope sometime soon. It is advised in the manual to always view with both eyes open to reduce losses in our natural night vision. But even so the screen when looked at through the eyepiece was very bright. I cut a small circle from the leader of exposed negative film and installed it between the rubber eye cup and the lens. It results in a kind of orange cast but the level of brightness is much lower now and unless I have the IR illumination on the highest setting my natural night vision when I look take the scope away is very much better. It also doesn't affect what is actually recorded on the display which at night is in b & w. The unit is cool because it can be used with no light whatsoever unlike the NV feature which does need some light like any other NV scope does.

15 hours ago, gigantor said:

Why do you need to ground yourself?

Humans and other animals with a nervous system have an electric field and a magnetic field. Had an EKG? Lots of electrical pulses moving along our nervous system. We actually create a human body magnetic field that shows up in ELF bands.

The human body at rest is putting out about 100 Watts of power.  A shark will know the presence of a human at a very long range.  Evolution of electric eels is shocking. Seems like that we live on a giant battery. Air is ionically charged. When an object moves, air is energized,  + & -- ions. The human body should be neutral when grounded. That changes when we walk. I have a Trifield Natural EM Meter, made by AlphaLab, Inc. It can be used as a proximity sensor. I can walk by it and set it off ( audible alarm). The manufacturer claims that under the correct conditions, movement of a person can be detected through a wall.  So we have humans and critters roaming around spewing magnetic and electric fields. Some people want to hide their EMF signature. Shielding and grounding is commonly dealt with rigid materials and fabrics. Magnetic shields do not need grounding. Electric fields need a ground. Low cost grounding is via a wrist strap and foot wear ground straps.

If you want to experiment, keep in mind that carbon fiber is not the best shielding. Tin coated copper mesh fabric is available.  Lowest cost is aluminized mylar Emergeny Ponco's and tubular tents. They are called 'space blanket poncho', 'Emergency Poncho', 'Survival Poncho'. The 'tubular' tents are about 8' long. Hook a ground wire to them.

I posted about the ELF band.  I read a paper by a European researcher who may have been in the military. His research was detecting the human magnetic field in the ELF band.  One area of future use was to have a handheld receiver in the ELF band to locate persons who are buried by an avalanche.    How about a detector that picks up animal presence via magnetic field -- ELF band, not requiring audible or inaudible (infrasound) noise? The research is in the area of the Schumann frequencies.  Cheapest available portable detector that I have seen only goes down to 600Hz. Not good enough.

Human electromagnetic emission in the ELF band
J. Lipkova, J. Cechak

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Admin

I see...

I tried horse hair/horse blanket  as an olfactory signaling test and drove the black bears crazy. I bought horse hair and a used horse blanket off of ebay and craigslist. The items get washed but there was some scent remaining. I bundled up horse hair and horse blanket fibers with loops of string for hanging. Placed the collection in a plastic bag lined coffee can and filled with water. Into the freezer.  I can't remember how high off of the ground that I suspended it. A bear could not stand on it's hind legs and get it.

Time release essence of horse. The drip rate was greater during the day, slowed down at night. The black bears went nuts. This was a heavy item to pack uphill to a camera site. I did this one time.  

horse hair ice block_2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just ran across this, different name, same product as Barska NV100 for about $30 less money and with free shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Solomark-Monocular-Blue-Infrared-Illuminator-Viewing/dp/B00THZ2NFE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=shopperz_origin3-20&ascsubtag=841369700-2-&SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA

It operates at the less desirable 850nm wavelength and some illumination can be seen by most cameras. As Catmandoo stated in another thread the 94 nm is better as its illuminator is virtually invisible to cameras. Animals? I sure they see at least the 850 nm glow.

Edited by hiflier

6 hours ago, hiflier said:

As Catmandoo stated in another thread the 94 nm is better as its illuminator is virtually invisible to cameras.

940nm is invisible to humans.  Some light sources have very bad out of bandwidth transmission. Humans see the faint red glow from lights labeled as '850nm'.   I purchased a light labeled as '940nm'. Initially, it looked good.  However the longer that I had it turned on, the light started showing in the 'red' spectrum.  Have you ever tried to return something to China?   These things always have to be tested to determine what they really are.

What is taking your gift items? Can you test for opposing digits?   Yes you can.

I had a test 'stump' in a clearcut where items were vacuumed away in less than 12 hours. I would camp about 1,000 feet away with terrain blocking my view. View blockage by design.  No humans got past me.  The heartwood of the stumo was rotted away. I would load up the cavity with 4--5 apples. Gala and Braeburn. Biggest birds in the area were Ravens. If birds visited the stump, which was 42" in diameter, bird poop would be visible.  To test for method of removal, I punctured  one apple with a piece of the stump that was about 7" long. Loaded the stump with apples so that the test apple was underneath 2 top apples. The top surface of the lowest apple was about 11" below the deck of the stump. The apples disappeared and the stick was placed on the top of the stump. No sign of beak or teeth marks on the stick. The stick was always inserted 2" into the apple core. I set up a pull test to determine how much force is required to remove the stick. Using a Chatillon scale, # IN-015M, which has a capacity of 15lbs X 4oz, I did horizontal pull testing on site. Gala apples had the lowest values and Braeburn the highest. Extraction force was 7 to 13 lbs. The apples were fresh, kept in a cooler. After all, you need to be able to eat your research sometimes!  Everything stopped when I put up a trail camera.

I know how much forum members like red circles so I added a set. The red circles are around a hole in the stump where a shrew would appear. It was freaked out. During my time at the stump, I did not tame the shrew.

IMG_0051 -1.jpg

The stump, 42" in diameter.

IMG_0130 - 1.jpg

The insertion stick. I have it in my freezer.

IMG_0001 - 1.jpg

No teeth or beak marks. I always use gloves to try to minimize my scent.  However, my hands sweat so I do 'drip'.

IMG_0047 - 1.jpg

IMG_0048 - 1.jpg

IMG_0052 - 1.jpg

Sometimes I set up with the end of the stick flush to the top of the stump. Pay no attention to the blue gloved hand.

IMG_0054 - 1.jpg

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text

BFF Patron

I see that as very scientific. I have used both apples and sweet potatoes in stumps as well as tree cavities at the base of live hollow trees with a closed peanut butter jar that was opened some eaten and top layer back in stumps just big enough by for a big hand or small raccoon hand paw good work you are doing great work, you should set up your own researcher thread on the bottom of page such as project Grendel myself and others have. Mine grossly dated and not updated

^^^^ Stump had the heartwood rotted out.  Any 'gift' item has to be in the hole.  On top, the slope of the cut will cause items to roll off.  Items on top will be investigated by birds, small animals, bears and humans. A vertical hiding place is a test for grasping -- opposable digits. The hole diameter has to prevent mouths/muzzles from biting the items. A test that several forum members have done is 'jar of peanut butter, with lid' to watch for the lid being unscrewed. An apple does not have much scent. I was watched.  Using one gift item and mashing it on a log, tree or something very close will aid olfactory signaling.  if you place something at a location, another human can find it . Trackless areas are what they like. They know how to not leave tracks.

No. 3rd image down is how I would find the stick and I went through many evolutions on this. Spent a fortune on apples. The stick would be removed and placed on top of the stump in the same place every time. I have wondered about right-handed and left-handed dexterity.  What you don't see are the other items that were on top of the stump where the stick is. They were removed first, then the apples. The items on top of the stump were of no interest to birds. The rotted out hole down the center of the stump was not 'round'.  The top was about 5" roughly in diameter. The hole tapered and the lowest point would hold 1 apple with the upper surface about 11"--12" below the top surface of the stump. That low apple would be gone. That would be a difficult reach.  The stick does not have any marks.  Check the cross section of a raven beak. Raven is a strong and inteligent bird. Smarter than an ape. A raven beak would have left marks on the stick.  I have the stick in my freezer. I plan to use the stick in the future-----deja vu for Sasquatch. Good test.  I might be able to get to the sight in July. Access is difficult.

All activity stopped when I put up a trail camera. The closest tree was 17' away and was 4" in diameter. No bears, they don't care about trail cameras. Again, I was camped 1,000' away.  The trail camera strategy is to have placement horizontally away from the target area at the tree line ( not up or downhill as it is a steep clearcut with no trees ) I have a trail camera that has a telephoto lens and is prefocused  at   XXX feet.   Everything bad about trail cameras  obeys the laws of inverse squares except the flash since it has a reflector.  The distance will help attenuate bad camera emissions. July is a long way off and we are getting hammered with snow at the higher elevations.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, now that we have 18" of snow on the ground, my YakTrax walking cleats are very good in the snow. I walk much more securely. A+ purchase!

Catmandoo, why don't you start your own thread on your research? It would be easier to follow?

IMG_20190227_090241.jpg

Edited by Madison5716

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic