Low End Gear And Research Equipment

hiflier

On 4/28/2019 at 8:48 AM, NCBFr said:

I have always felt if you want to track a BF in the dark (or even light in heavy woods) this is by far the best tool for the job.  Far better than any FLIR on the market.

I'll disagree with your conclusion. I have a Pulsar thermal imager and can tell right away whether the noise source is a deer, coyote, or something else.  A  sound amplifier as outlined above will provide information that something is out there. It is not easy to determine the distance and what exactly is causing it.

Moreover, if a sasquatch was trying to sneak up and was very quiet, it might not be easy to distinguish what was making the sound. Contrast that with the thermal imager that will identity the target . No escaping a heat signature.

Nathan Footer is spot on and, in my opinion, a thermal imager is a game changer.

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'll disagree with your conclusion. I have a Pulsar thermal imager and can tell right away whether the noise source is a deer, coyote, or something else.  A  sound amplifier as outlined above will provide information that something is out there. It is not easy to determine the distance and what exactly is causing it.

Moreover, if a sasquatch was trying to sneak up and was very quiet, it might not be easy to distinguish what was making the sound. Contrast that with the thermal imager that will identity the target . No escaping a heat signature.

Nathan Footer is spot on and, in my opinion, a thermal imager is a game changer.

OK ok.  For the dollar, best deal out there.  I would like a helmit mounted version that would be always on.  If I picked up something suspicious I could use the thermal for final ID.  Better?

I'm enjoying everything I've bought from Uberleben. I have several ferro rods, the tea/cook pot and the foldaway stove. I haven't used the stove yet, but it feels solid. The ferro rods create rivers of sparks, and are fabulous. I've been practicing fire making with my wood/charcoal Volcano BBQ grill. Nice stuff.

https://www.uberleben.co

My new Uberleben stove in action :)

2 cotton balls with Vaseline, some dried moss, 6 twigs and one single very dry kindling stick both cooked my dinner and heated hot water for coffee. My kid cooked it all for Mother's Day - and he even used the ferro rod to start the fire. Beautiful!

20190512_213906.jpg

• Upvote 1

Found these little knife gadgets at Cabelas this morning for $12 each - fun!

20190518_135923.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic

Nice setup. Is that the Salida?

I love the pictures and the setting in which you were backpacking. Beautiful.

16 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Nice setup. Is that the Salida?

I love the pictures and the setting in which you were backpacking. Beautiful.

its 16 miles East of Laramie Wyoming in part of the Medicine bow national forest.  Its off forest road 701D, about 4-5 miles directly  north of Turtle Rock in the vedauwoo camp area.  I camped ontop of this rock formation.  I was losing daylight and I wanted to find a place that already had a rock ring that someone else made.  I parked my jeep and just took a little stroll up there to see if someone made a rock ring and I was lucky, because there was one although I moved the rock ring to safer spot but at the least rocks were already there :v

wUMmh4s.png

Edited by RedHawk454

Was at Vedauwoo last year in September. Awesome place. Outlaws in the "olden days" used to hide out there. Great rock formations. It was very windy and 40 degrees and we were just about the only ones there.

8 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Was at Vedauwoo last year in September. Awesome place. Outlaws in the "olden days" used to hide out there. Great rock formations. It was very windy and 40 degrees and we were just about the only ones there.

do you live in the area or were you just passing through?

I set up camp in January 2018 there, about 15 degrees and 40+ MPH winds.  My tent kept getting pancaked.  

Its a fun place to be!  theres A LOT of forest roads where you can disperse camp if you look at a motor vehicle use map, its much more fun than staying at the vedauwoo campground.  

Just passing through during a six-week excursion to Lake Tahoe and back through the Rockies. We had the choice between Vedauwoo And Curt Gowdy and for us and the kinds of interesting places we like to see? Vedauwoo won hands down. In Arapahoe it roughly means "earth-born". Great hiking trails. I'd go back given the chance and explore more.

• 2 weeks later...
Admin

https://rokpak.com/product/rokpak-pioneer-series-camo/

Camo-Product-RokPak-6.jpg

Rugged Drybox, Solar Power, Battery Power, All in one.
Waterproof, Dust-Proof, Drop-Proof, Lightweight

• 12,000 mAh Battery System
  • Rugged Solar Panel
  • 2 Fast Charge USB Ports
  • Charge Virtually Any USB Device
  • Works in Extreme Temperatures
  • Dimensions 9.6” x 5” x 2.8”
  • Lightweight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• gigantor featured this topic
BFF Patron

^^^  Ever use one in real life?    What are the reviews?  

updated to add no reviews on amazon yet, new seller

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron
On 6/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, RedHawk454 said:

do you live in the area or were you just passing through?

I set up camp in January 2018 there, about 15 degrees and 40+ MPH winds.  My tent kept getting pancaked.  

Its a fun place to be!  theres A LOT of forest roads where you can disperse camp if you look at a motor vehicle use map, its much more fun than staying at the vedauwoo campground.  

Lots of great views and roads around those formations.  Have been there in Laramie before, highly recommend.  If it gets real wet/snowy in there definitely would be good to have four wheel or all wheel drive.  

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic