Low End Gear And Research Equipment

hiflier

Don't know about parabolic dish recorders. Amazon puts the above device in the toy electronics dept.  Offered with a 32GB micro SD card. Runs on a 9 volt battery. Good that it has sane battery requirements.  You will need 2 units..........a girl recorder and a boy recorder or there could be bloodshed...............Do you have 2 binoculars?

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

16 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Don't know about parabolic dish recorders. Amazon puts the above device in the toy electronics dept.  Offered with a 32GB micro SD card. Runs on a 9 volt battery. Good that it has sane battery requirements.  You will need 2 units..........a girl recorder and a boy recorder or there could be bloodshed...............Do you have 2 binoculars?

Lol.  I will just let her have it.  I want to make it out of those woods alive, ya know?

• 1 month later...

13 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

Got this beauty for Christmas!

20191224_200517.jpg

Very nice, Madison!

I saw this "how to" on making a parabolic mic setup from a squirrel baffle and thought I would share it. 

https://makezine.com/projects/squirrel-baffle-spy-microphone/

Edited by NorthWind
Fixing a typo.

2 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Got this beauty for Christmas!

20191224_200517.jpg

You got the Freyr!

We have the Chogan and the Kangee hawk from CRKT.   These are great tools.  Iirc, they are made for Columbia River by Condor Knife and Tool.

Ours don't look as nice as yours.  That is a good looking little axe!  

3 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I saw this "how to" on making a parabolic mic setup from a squirrel baffle and thought I would share it. 

https://makezine.com/projects/squirrel-baffle-spy-microphone/

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to make one but I am not very handy. I looked at the step-by-step instructions and the affixing and installation of the microphone is what it is beyond me.

I wonder if there is another way to get a microphone and install it within the parabolic dish?

14 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to make one but I am not very handy. I looked at the step-by-step instructions and the affixing and installation of the microphone is what it is beyond me.

I wonder if there is another way to get a microphone and install it within the parabolic dish?

This is a pretty low cost option.  It has some pretty good reviews that seem legitimate.  

This model records to an SD card.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07RPB1WJV/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=AD8KB6G20MIR8&psc=1

BlackRock, I'm enjoying it. Liked several viking bearded style hatchets, but this was less expensive and made in the PNW. Can't wait to use it camping this spring!

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron
22 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

This is my homemade dish.   WIth this dish I mount the recorder at the apex of the parabolic dish.       I determined that by just shining a flashlight at the dish.   The recorder is mounted to an aluminum rod that screws into the base of the recorder.     The rod is adjusted to be at the apex or focal point of the dish.      Where the flashlight beam concentrates is the apex of the dish.    I can also mount a separate microphone and have the recorder some distance away.        PCV, epoxy glue mounts a foam block with a PVC pipe.     There is a weight in at the opposite end of the pipe to counterbalance the weight of the dish.     The stand is a photography tripod.  You can literally hear a leaf flutter in the wind from a couple of hundred yards.    Not exactly portable but worth having at a field observation or camping situation.    I found the dish in a catalogue of scientific toys.     It is supposed to be for a solar oven.    In the field if I get hungry I could cook a hotdog on the thing.    It should be painted some dark color.     I was not careful with it and put it in my truck to transport it and the sun got to it and burned a hole in my truck passenger seat.   You might want to be careful about pointing it at neighbors houses.    You could hear even through a closed widow.  

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

Edited by SWWASAS

Wow, SWWASAS,  that is a sweet setup. I have a question if you wouldn't mind.  If you wanted to sit there and listen to things, how would you attach a head set to be able to do so?

I ask because my scenario is such that I will be backpacking the setup  with me to whatever the ultimate site is.  I would be inclined to listen to things at night using headphones. If I heard something noteworthy, I'd put the parabolic device down, grab my thermal and head toward to sound.

Also, can you listen and record at the same time?

BFF Patron

My recorder is the Hero H2.     It allows you to listen with headphones as you are recording.    That is the preferred way to record since it allows you to adjust the gain real time although there is a level meter on the recorder.       When I first tested it I was in the yard and a humming bird flew past the parabolic.    It sounded so loud that it really scared me.    After a few contacts with BF my best tactic is to listen for their footsteps as they move around.    It is a very low thud at the very bottom of my hearing range.   Nearly infrasound but I can still hear it.   The only thing else that makes thuds down in that range are a large animal like a bear or elk moving around.    So in a way audio might be even better than a FLIR to know if BF are in the area and moving around.     Since the dish is very directional,   if rotated, you can really pin down the direction.    I operate my H2 in stereo.    So if you test the orientation of the recorder in the dish with a known sound,   and orient it properly,   something moving past the dish will be directional in your headsets.     You can hear it moving left to right or right to left.     One good way to check the orientation is have the headset on,  and listen to cars go down a busy road,   rotate the recorder or the separate microphone so that the noise in the headset follows your view of the cars passing by.  

Edited by SWWASAS

SWWASAS - did you consider using a dedicated microphone and placing it when you currently have your H2?  Is there a benefit to rigging it one way or the other? What I really like about your setup is you've maximized the inner surface space of the parabolic dish so there is no wasted space cluttered with connections. One small hole, that's it.

I'm trying to decide to go the easy but expensive route and get a 22" setup already made by Wildtronics (including microphone) or buy a 16" squirrel baffle ($14) and try to make one myself.  I already have a SONY PCM-M10 recorder which is similar to your H2.

https://www.wildtronics.com/store.html#!/All-Purpose-Parabolic/p/45886620/category=11442155

Edited by wiiawiwb

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic