Jump to content
hiflier

Low End Gear And Research Equipment

Recommended Posts

wiiawiwb
On 4/28/2019 at 8:48 AM, NCBFr said:

 

I have always felt if you want to track a BF in the dark (or even light in heavy woods) this is by far the best tool for the job.  Far better than any FLIR on the market.

 

I'll disagree with your conclusion. I have a Pulsar thermal imager and can tell right away whether the noise source is a deer, coyote, or something else.  A  sound amplifier as outlined above will provide information that something is out there. It is not easy to determine the distance and what exactly is causing it.

 

Moreover, if a sasquatch was trying to sneak up and was very quiet, it might not be easy to distinguish what was making the sound. Contrast that with the thermal imager that will identity the target . No escaping a heat signature.

 

Nathan Footer is spot on and, in my opinion, a thermal imager is a game changer.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCBFr
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

 

I'll disagree with your conclusion. I have a Pulsar thermal imager and can tell right away whether the noise source is a deer, coyote, or something else.  A  sound amplifier as outlined above will provide information that something is out there. It is not easy to determine the distance and what exactly is causing it.

 

Moreover, if a sasquatch was trying to sneak up and was very quiet, it might not be easy to distinguish what was making the sound. Contrast that with the thermal imager that will identity the target . No escaping a heat signature.

 

Nathan Footer is spot on and, in my opinion, a thermal imager is a game changer.

 

 

 

OK ok.  For the dollar, best deal out there.  I would like a helmit mounted version that would be always on.  If I picked up something suspicious I could use the thermal for final ID.  Better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madison5716

I'm enjoying everything I've bought from Uberleben. I have several ferro rods, the tea/cook pot and the foldaway stove. I haven't used the stove yet, but it feels solid. The ferro rods create rivers of sparks, and are fabulous. I've been practicing fire making with my wood/charcoal Volcano BBQ grill. Nice stuff.

 

https://www.uberleben.co

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madison5716

My new Uberleben stove in action :)

 

2 cotton balls with Vaseline, some dried moss, 6 twigs and one single very dry kindling stick both cooked my dinner and heated hot water for coffee. My kid cooked it all for Mother's Day - and he even used the ferro rod to start the fire. Beautiful!

 

 

20190512_213906.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madison5716

Found these little knife gadgets at Cabelas this morning for $12 each - fun!

20190518_135923.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedHawk454

single man tent

 

zPXpHj6.jpg

 

Mif5Ftl.jpg

 

G8qwARr.jpg

 

Vwy6op2.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wiiawiwb

Nice setup. Is that the Salida?

 

I love the pictures and the setting in which you were backpacking. Beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedHawk454
16 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Nice setup. Is that the Salida?

 

I love the pictures and the setting in which you were backpacking. Beautiful.

 

 

its 16 miles East of Laramie Wyoming in part of the Medicine bow national forest.  Its off forest road 701D, about 4-5 miles directly  north of Turtle Rock in the vedauwoo camp area.  I camped ontop of this rock formation.  I was losing daylight and I wanted to find a place that already had a rock ring that someone else made.  I parked my jeep and just took a little stroll up there to see if someone made a rock ring and I was lucky, because there was one although I moved the rock ring to safer spot but at the least rocks were already there :v

 

wUMmh4s.png

Edited by RedHawk454

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier
BFF Donor

Was at Vedauwoo last year in September. Awesome place. Outlaws in the "olden days" used to hide out there. Great rock formations. It was very windy and 40 degrees and we were just about the only ones there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedHawk454
8 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Was at Vedauwoo last year in September. Awesome place. Outlaws in the "olden days" used to hide out there. Great rock formations. It was very windy and 40 degrees and we were just about the only ones there.

 

do you live in the area or were you just passing through?

 

I set up camp in January 2018 there, about 15 degrees and 40+ MPH winds.  My tent kept getting pancaked.  

 

 

Its a fun place to be!  theres A LOT of forest roads where you can disperse camp if you look at a motor vehicle use map, its much more fun than staying at the vedauwoo campground.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier
BFF Donor

Just passing through during a six-week excursion to Lake Tahoe and back through the Rockies. We had the choice between Vedauwoo And Curt Gowdy and for us and the kinds of interesting places we like to see? Vedauwoo won hands down. In Arapahoe it roughly means "earth-born". Great hiking trails. I'd go back given the chance and explore more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madison5716

Nice pictures, RedHawk, pretty country!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×