British Columbia - Feet

Somerset

Yah but crabs walking on beaches and burrow into dens?

The top of the foot is open to them?

Same goes for fish or birds eating at the surface. 

Obviously Im missing something.

There are regular size grabs in the water, but I've never seen one wonderin' on shore, eagles, gulls, crows would get them. There's the tiny ones that hide under the rocks.

Birds on surface would have a view of the bottom/sole of the shoe/sneaker. Small fish could an probably do get at the tissue around the ankle.

I find my share of sneakers downs at the beach, an yes...I check. 

1 hour ago, norseman said:

.......Same goes for fish or birds eating at the surface. 

Obviously Im missing something.

Me, too. As a shrimp pot guy, I know what sea fleas can do literally overnight. Remember those videos of pirahnas eating an animal down to the bone in seconds? sea lice are so efficient, they do the job better than dermistide beetles, and much quicker.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphipoda

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/australia-flesh-eating-sea-fleas-attack-teens-leg-while-swimming.html

30 minutes ago, PBeaton said:

.......I find my share of sneakers downs at the beach, an yes...I check. 

I don't......and won't. If there's a foot in it, its owner isn't going to need it back, anyway.

Hunster,

It may be a answer for family.

Pat...

ps: I had seen the Aussie kids story, they couldn't figure what had happened to him at first. Wild photos ! 

Edited by PBeaton

12 minutes ago, PBeaton said:

Hunster,

It may be a answer for family.........

True, but more often, they know their loved one is dead. Such a gruesome find always intensifies the horror and nightmares for many members of the family.