Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Perez

Processing of P-G film, NEW INFORMATION

Recommended Posts

Daniel Perez

Key word here is "ACQUAINTANCE."

 

New information has come to light with regard to Al deAtley, who is still living in the Yakima, Washington area. 

 

“DeAtley indicated that he expected to receive the film in Saturday’s mail and would take it to an acquaintance [emphasis by Daniel Perez] who could have it processed and returned Sunday.”

 

“Saturday" is October 21, 1967.

 

As for the comment about "mail," I can only guess that it was postal mail, which could still mean "air mail." I don't know, that is my guess. OR, that it was sent by a hired pilot/plane. Again, I don't know. 

 

What is interesting and NEW is this is the first time we have learned that Al DeAtley was going to have the film developed by an “acquaintance.” They didn’t go blindly to any film lab the could process Kodak film. Al deAtley took it to an "acquaintance." 

 

Between Roger Patterson and Al they knew exactly where to have those films (subject film and footprint film) processed and Roger told a newspaper reporter words roughly like this: it would jeopardize the man’s job if it were known. This might indicate this man was an employee for a processing lab, rather than a one man shop.

Al DeAtley might know who this person is, even at such a late date. When John Green tried to talk to him by phone Al signed off quickly and when I phoned he hung up. This was in the early 2000s.

Once Al is deceased that information — who processed the P-G film — might be gone forever. And the person who processed it, if that person is still living, might not know what he was processing as the subject is on the tail end of the film, not the beginning.

If we can find out, even at such a late date, that is one more piece of the puzzle that would be solved.  Anyone have any solid inroads to Al DeAtley to ask this question by phone?

 

Stay On The Track,

Daniel Perez,

www.bigfoottimes.net

Edited by Daniel Perez
typos, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldMort

It would be most helpful to know the source and context of this "new information."

 

Is it possible for you to share any of that here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PBeaton

Interestin', but I'm with OldMort, be nice to know where an who the quote comes from. A quote is just a quote.

 

Out of the quoted sentence, I find the "..have it processed and returned Sunday." more interestin'. This at least may or may not give us a possible developin' day, Sunday Oct.22nd. ??? 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SweatyYeti
33 minutes ago, PBeaton said:

Interestin', but I'm with OldMort, be nice to know where an who the quote comes from. A quote is just a quote.

 

Out of the quoted sentence, I find the "..have it processed and returned Sunday." more interestin'. This at least may or may not give us a possible developin' day, Sunday Oct.22nd. ???

 

 

 

 

I would think that it would indicate a pick-up/return day of Sunday, Pat....more-so than the film being developed on Sunday.  :) 

 

If the film was able to be developed on Sunday, then it could just as well have been developed on Saturday.....possibly late in the day.

 

 

As I suggested in the other thread....a 'Sunday pick-up' might be the reason why Roger showed-up late to DeAtley's….and the reason why the film was not shown to anyone before Roger arrived...(and went down to the basement to view it before anyone else). 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldMort
2 hours ago, SweatyYeti said:

If the film was able to be developed on Sunday, then it could just as well have been developed on Saturday.....possibly late in the day.

 

 

If, as many suspect, it was indeed processed at Technicolor Lab in Seattle, Sunday would have been far less risky for the parties involved.

 

According to Ishihara, the processing lab itself was closed on Saturday's but the front office was open for sales etc. People talk.

 

No technical staff was present on Saturdays at that time of year.

 

Sunday is much more viable since Ishihara was regularly scheduled to come in later on that day to oversee processing startup for the coming week.

 

No front office staff were in the facility on Sundays. Frank could have come in early and in the unlikely event he was questioned about it later,

 

would have had his pick of a myriad of excuses as to "problems he was resolving" etc... which required his presence.

Edited by OldMort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SweatyYeti
3 minutes ago, OldMort said:

 

 

If, as many suspect, it was indeed processed at Technicolor Lab in Seattle, Sunday would have been far less risky for the parties involved.

 

According to Ishihara, the processing lab itself was closed on Saturday's but the front office was open for sales etc. People talk.

 

No technical staff was present on Saturdays at that time of year.

 

Sunday is much more viable since Ishihara was regularly scheduled to come in later on that day to oversee processing startup for the coming week.

 

No front office staff were in the facility on Sundays. Frank could have come in early and in the unlikely event he was questioned about it later,

 

would have had his pick of a myriad of excuses as to "problems he was resolving" etc... 

 

 

That all makes sense, Mort.  It sounds like a plausible scenario, to me.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PBeaton
2 hours ago, SweatyYeti said:

I would think that it would indicate a pick-up/return day of Sunday, Pat....more-so than the film being developed on Sunday.  :) 

If the film was able to be developed on Sunday, then it could just as well have been developed on Saturday.....possibly late in the day.

As I suggested in the other thread....a 'Sunday pick-up' might be the reason why Roger showed-up late to DeAtley's….and the reason why the film was not shown to anyone before Roger arrived...(and went down to the basement to view it before anyone else). 

 

SweatyYeti,

 

It could indicate either I suspect. 

Agreed.

Are you suggestin' Roger hand delivered the film(I recall this mentioned earlier) ? 

I'm sure I recall John mentionin' Al had viewed it already before Roger got there. 

 

OldMort,

Are you thinkin' a Sunday developin' was possible ? 

 

Pat...

Edited by PBeaton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joebeelart
BFF Donor

I believe about five years ago Bob Gimlin added a little to his presentation, his history of the P-G Film.  I heard him say in a Guy Edwards produced Portland presentation that they stopped at the "old Eureka airport" and Roger went inside for about 40 minutes.  Bob stayed in the truck, exhausted.  Roger came out and did not discuss what when on, or words to that effect.  Then they started the terrible drive home. 

 

As I remember, the storm stayed in for a day or two.  It would have taken an instrument rated plane and pilot, plus a break in the weather to take off.  It is bizarre to think the USPS, as good as they are, and I mean good in genuine truth, could get the film from Eureka to Yakima by Saturday. 

 

Another serious, long-time student of the film, not MKD, told me it was processed in North central California.  I think it important to study the film's history in great detail using period maps, roads, etc.  Make a story board with times, estimated travel times, weather considerations, and a hundred other details about the event and afterwards.  

 

To that end, at some no little expense and time, I have the "at the time" current USFS map of the area, plus the envelope in which it was mailed to me.  The use of timely documents is paramount in this pursuit of history.

 

I believe, like, and respect Bob Gimlin. 

 

 Joe Beelart here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SweatyYeti
1 hour ago, PBeaton said:

 

SweatyYeti,

 

It could indicate either I suspect. 

Agreed.

 

Are you suggestin' Roger hand delivered the film(I recall this mentioned earlier) ? 

 

 

 

I'm just thinking that that is a plausible, and sensible scenario, Pat.....and that it would account for why Roger arrived as late as he did. 

 

 

Quote

I'm sure I recall John mentionin' Al had viewed it already before Roger got there. 

 

Pat...

 

 

I wouldn't put a lot of weight on that account of John Green's....since he would have simply been taking Al's word, for it. Al could have just told Green that the film was in the projector, and that he watched it all the way through one time....without that actually being the case.  After all, the guests were all upstairs, and the projector downstairs.

 

That might seem like a non-sensical scenario...but, so is the fact that both Roger and Al kept the identity of the developer secret.....and in Al's case....even to the present day. Al has some reason for not revealing the identity of the developer....so, perhaps Roger didn't want his association with the developer to become known to the general public...(and Al was covering for him). 

 

Just thinking of potential, plausible scenarios. :)

 

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldMort
3 hours ago, PBeaton said:

OldMort,

Are you thinkin' a Sunday developin' was possible ? 

'

I'm with Sweaty on this one...

 

"Just thinking of potential, plausible scenarios."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Backdoc
BFF Donor
6 hours ago, SweatyYeti said:

 

 

I would think that it would indicate a pick-up/return day of Sunday, Pat....more-so than the film being developed on Sunday.  :) 

 

If the film was able to be developed on Sunday, then it could just as well have been developed on Saturday.....possibly late in the day.

 

 

As I suggested in the other thread....a 'Sunday pick-up' might be the reason why Roger showed-up late to DeAtley's….and the reason why the film was not shown to anyone before Roger arrived...(and went down to the basement to view it before anyone else). 

 

 

 

Exactly.

 

1)  A Sunday Pick Up from a product developed on Saturday (somehow)

 

 

or...

 

2)  A Sunday development and pick-up.  I got the impression (maybe I am reading it wrong) Frank Ishihara stated they started developing again on Sunday PM.  I can see someone on a phone tell Al/ Roger, "Sir we wont be open on Sat but if you can bring the film in after lunch on Sunday we can run it for you"   This would give time to run the film and still show up miles and hours away in Yakima by 5, 6, 7PM.   

 

or...

 

I could be entirely wrong.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PBeaton

SweatyYeti,

 

I can understand you're lookin' at all possibilities regardin' the development.

Roger would have had to go pick it up after he an Bob returned, as Bob didn't go with Roger to get it.

 

Pat... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PBeaton

go with Roger...or go pick up the film 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×