INTERVIEWS OF FRANK ISHIHARA

HOLDMYBEER

Daniel Perez

Excellent interviews, Patrick Beaton. To find the answer to the question we are all wondering about, my gut is telling me the big reveal might be in an old personal telephone book that Roger Patterson had his contacts written in. It was an "acquaintance" that processed the film and Pat Patterson might have the answer in her household, unbeknownst to all of us.  Daniel Perez

• Thanks 2
Squatchy McSquatch

It’s worth a shot if you have her contact info.

Ask her if Roger kept a personal diary if you get the chance, and if so, is it still in her possession?

Catmandoo
1 hour ago, Daniel Perez said:

unbeknownst to all of us

Unbeknownst to many,  but knownst to a few,  there was  Kodachrome processing capability in Portland Oregon.  Portland was sort of on the way home for the PGF group.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Unbeknownst to many,  but knownst to a few,  there was  Kodachrome processing capability in Portland Oregon.  Portland was sort of on the way home for the PGF group.

A facility capable of KII processing ? 

Squatchy McSquatch
1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

Which facility in Portland Oregon?

Catmandoo

Unbeknownst to many,  but knownst to me,  there was  Kodachrome processing capability in Portland Oregon.

There is an echo on this page.

Knownst to me is this box of Kodachrome by my computer. From 1964, when you mailed your film to a Kodak lab and they mailed the processed film to an address that you gave them.  Process K-11 is printed on the box. The postal meter stamp is intact. Postage was 10 cents. This pre-dates zip codes.  The meter stamp, from Portland is #373010.   Any forensic mailmen out there willing to burn time trying to track down the meter?

Daniel Perez is working on finding the 'acquaintance' of Roger Patterson who developed the film. Wait and see.

Stop putting words in the mouths of dead people.

• Thanks 1
PBeaton
4 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Catmandoo,

What was the unbeknownst lab in Portland called ?

Tall's 4 or 5 camera supply stores seem to predate the Technicolor Lab.

K11 an K12 were different processes.

Pat... 

Catmandoo

The name of the lab was throwing me for a loop, so I pulled out a 15X lupe ( very small blurry printing ). The name of the the lab:   Color Processing Laboratory,  POB 3424, Portland Oregon.... No zip code. In the US, zip codes started to become popular mid---late 60's.

TALLS TRAVEL SHOP became TALLS CAMERA SUPPLY in 1948.   I have a roll of Kodachrome that was processed by TALLS CAMERA SUPPLY in 1963, and the box is Technicolor. Processing cost $1.85.  I have Kodachrome films that were  processed by Technicolor, Seattle, in 1967. I am giving them the heavy eyeball.

In 1963, TALLS had 3 stores.

Yes, I know about K-11 and K-12.

And now, the name of the lab in Portland Oregon is knownst to all.....................

Edited by Catmandoo
  • Thanks 1

The lab in Oregon is good information if it processed KII film.  It’s been said only Seattle could do KII processing.  

Backdoc
2 hours ago, Twist said:

The lab in Oregon is good information if it processed KII film.  It’s been said only Seattle could do KII processing.  

On any Oregon Lab:

My gut tells me it just feels unlikely.  IF such a lab could process KC II film I would think Frank Ishitara would know and mention this many times.   

I hope I turn out to be wrong not because I need this to be true.  It just adds to the interesting discussion and increased options.

I agree BD, given the route north out of California, a KII facility in ORegon would present  another possibility.   That said I doubt their ability to do KII processing given what I’ve read/learned in the past.  

PBeaton

Catmandoo,

10 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Yes, I know about K-11 and K-12.

You mention you have Kodachrome that was processed, this might be a silly question, but can you confirm it is actually Kodachrome ll which requires K12 processin'.

Pat...

OldMort

As I recall, there was a lab in Portland during that era and it was named Sawyer's.

My memory is hazy on this but I believe it was discussed in Long's book.

Again I could well be wrong, but Long was in touch with them and learned that they didn't process movie film, just standard 35mm.

If anyone has that book, it can be looked into further.

Perhaps I read it elsewhere....

Another possibility is that the Portland P.O. box was just a centralized address for collection of films from the PNW area that were then forwarded to the nearest Kodak Regional Lab. (Palo Alto.) The films would be collected and then shipped together and processed and then returned to the same central location where they were then returned to camera stores for pickup or mailed to the customers home address. Kodak had a highly organized shipping and distribution network in those days.

Edited by OldMort

Thanks for the additional info OM.  I do recall an Oregon facility being discussed in the past and if memory serves me correctly it was determined they did not process KII film.  Not having enough knowledge of film processing in the NW I leave the possibility open that Catmando is mentioning possibly a different facility. 

I believe, according to various sources KII was only available in Seattle in regards to the NW and then the next closest facilities were in California.   There are other Kodachrome facilities in the NW but not those capable of processing KII.

PBeaton

That's what I was thinkin', the film was sent to Technicolor for processin', then returned to the other photo lab/store. Ishihara mentions somethin' similar earlier... 

"He recalled Alpha Cine did ‘out-lab’ work for Technicolor NW. Frank said Technicolor did all Kodachrome processing for Alpha Cine."