Mysterious Animal Attack Leads To Death

BlackRockBigfoot

Should have added to the original post-

Apparently whatever killed this lady is unknown at this time.

“preliminary DNA testing facilitated by NC Wildlife Biologist has eliminated any wild animals indigenous to the area,”

It seems like feral dog attack would have been one of the first things that they would have considered.  

It seems that if they are doing DNA testing, then all the usual culprits (dogs, coyotes, bears, mountain lion, etc) would be readily identified.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't they assume dog attack before even thinking about wildlife?  Seems like dog evidence would be the first thing that they look for.

When I was a houndsman I was a member of the Big game houndsman forum. (Before Washington outlawed it)

Guys back east swore up and down that sometimes they would bay up big cats. Lions, Tigers, etc. Evidently they had escaped Zoos or the private owner left the gate open, etc.

Dont know if the claims were true. But I found em believeable.

Must have come as quite a shock when yer dogs cornered something and a giant Lion pops out of the brush.

Wouldnt take much to take out a school teacher when dealing with something like that.

And the state FG may not have African Lion DNA on file.

23 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

It seems that if they are doing DNA testing, then all the usual culprits (dogs, coyotes, bears, mountain lion, etc) would be readily identified.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't they assume dog attack before even thinking about wildlife?  Seems like dog evidence would be the first thing that they look for.

But then you have this quote from the article...

“Beaufort County Sheriff’s Investigators are continuing to investigate to determine which, if any domestic canines in the area may have attacked Hamilton,” said a release.

They may be able to eliminate many things based on bite patterns ... tooth arrangement, bite width, and so on.    

I'm not sure how well equipped their DNR is to do DNA analysis nor whether they'd have bite information from any of the more exotic (non-native) critters.   Might have to ship it down the road from me to the USFW Service forensics lab here in Ashland, Oregon for truly detailed determination.  

MIB

If it's it's bite marks only then it narrows it down to dogs .It doesn't say if the victim had claws marks also .

1 hour ago, Old Time Lifter said:

But then you have this quote from the article...

“Beaufort County Sheriff’s Investigators are continuing to investigate to determine which, if any domestic canines in the area may have attacked Hamilton,” said a release.

That really shouldn't be that hard to determine . There's something they are not telling us.

A 77 yr old woman,  suffered her demise along a public road.  Nothing about this screams BF other than being unknown.  To what end?  Not a threat and most likely not to near its habitat to warrant killing if close to a public road.  

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Guys back east swore up and down that sometimes they would bay up big cats. Lions, Tigers, etc. Evidently they had escaped Zoos or the private owner left the gate ope

I have never heard of any lions or tigers being loose here anytime I can remember, not saying it could not have happened on the hush-hush from authorities. 

There have always been big cats near where I grew up in the foothills (have heard reports from the coastal areas as well) and the Fish and Game and all the wildlife people have always denied them being in NC, and they still do.

Big cats out east are cougars. Several sightings in my family (of black ones) history but obviously, that's "impossible".

Two sightings were with two people at once. One with my father and my grandmother on a road crossing and the second with my grandfather and a cousin while deer hunting.

Maybe they were escaped black jaguars in WV.

Who knows?

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic