Mysterious Animal Attack Leads To Death

BlackRockBigfoot

I'm with you Huntster; at it's greatest height (depth?) during the last ice age, Glacial Lake Missoula extended to withing about 50 miles of Helena, Montana, where I grew up and still live near. The glaciers were not much further away to the north. Sure, heat has its downside but nothing stops a mile plus thick wall of ice.

On the subject of the thread, here is another story from the area about a chewed up water moccasin found in "The Swamp Park" in eastern North Carolina by the park manager:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article223207280.html#storylink=readmore_inline

6 hours ago, Airdale said:

.........Sure, heat has its downside but nothing stops a mile plus thick wall of ice..........

Glaciers and ice fields are beautiful to behold from a distance and from within a heated cab, but few peopke have actually tried to walk on one. I have, and it can be terrifying. Most folks don't even understand hiw easily a glacietpr can swallow a man up forever.

Your signature about Bretz is beautiful, Airdale. It's a monument to the spirit of determination, persistence, and triumph.

E. Puma is most definitely a thing. These sightings have never stopped in the E. U.S. "Escaped pet" is always the official explanation, to which those with experience in the matter give a Bronx cheer. I had my own sighting of a mountain lion, a sighting that coincided with others', in the warm months of 1987 along the Appalachian Trail between Harper's Ferry and Snicker's Gap, on the VA/WVA boundary. Definitely wasn't supposed to have been possible, except it was.

This poor woman probably either met up with some feral dogs or a rabid coyote. Coyotes seem to get especially aggressive when hydrophobic and I've seen more than one report of that happening.

An interesting development:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/mountain-lions-roaming-colorado-town-in-pack-up-to-10-troubles-officials

Mountain lions roaming Colorado town in pride of about 10 'troubles' officials

Colorado wildlife officials issued a warning for the residents of Edwards this week after discovering a pride of 8 to 10 lions has been "roaming" neighborhoods in the area.

"This is a troubling situation and we are very concerned for the safety and welfare of the people in this area," CPW Northwest Regional Manager JT Romatzke said in an online statement Thursday. "We ask everyone to take this warning seriously."

2 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

An interesting development:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/mountain-lions-roaming-colorado-town-in-pack-up-to-10-troubles-officials

Mountain lions roaming Colorado town in pride of about 10 'troubles' officials

Colorado wildlife officials issued a warning for the residents of Edwards this week after discovering a pride of 8 to 10 lions has been "roaming" neighborhoods in the area.

"This is a troubling situation and we are very concerned for the safety and welfare of the people in this area," CPW Northwest Regional Manager JT Romatzke said in an online statement Thursday. "We ask everyone to take this warning seriously."

I've never heard of Mt Lions running in a pride?  This is very troubling... I'm a cat person but for this very reason, I dislike Mt. Lions... cats are sneaky and very, very strong for their size.

49 minutes ago, Old Time Lifter said:

I've never heard of Mt Lions running in a pride?  This is very troubling... I'm a cat person but for this very reason, I dislike Mt. Lions... cats are sneaky and very, very strong for their size.

Besides other people, I worried more about cougars than anything when camping/RVing with our little one.

14 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Besides other people, I worried more about cougars than anything when camping/RVing with our little one.

I would be, too. Outside of the PNW, there are many more lions out there than bears, and lots of them in the PNW, too. 

But as a large man who carries a sidearm religiously in the great outdoors, I'm not afraid of them at all. I'm more concerned about bear boars. 

I'm not so sure about my wife. Lions tend to attack women as soon as they would children, but I'm afraid that Mrs. Huntster might be a cougar herself........... 😳

4 hours ago, Huntster said:

I would be, too. Outside of the PNW, there are many more lions out there than bears, and lots of them in the PNW, too. 

But as a large man who carries a sidearm religiously in the great outdoors, I'm not afraid of them at all. I'm more concerned about bear boars. 

I'm not so sure about my wife. Lions tend to attack women as soon as they would children, but I'm afraid that Mrs. Huntster might be a cougar herself........... 😳

Carrying helps. But a cougar making a leap at a three year old and tearing off with them through the woods is a pretty terrifying prospect.

12 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Carrying helps. But a cougar making a leap at a three year old and tearing off with them through the woods is a pretty terrifying prospect.

Yep.  :(

51 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Yes, children in the great outdoors is 100% attention. Actually, my buggest fear with kids in the woods is water, then falls over cliffs.

21 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Yes, children in the great outdoors is 100% attention. Actually, my buggest fear with kids in the woods is water, then falls over cliffs.

I don't put my family in those situations, but I cannot predict where a big cat may be.

8 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

I don't put my family in those situations, but I cannot predict where a big cat may be.

In Alaska, the water and high places are everywhere. The water damned near got me once........

2 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Ive had cougar kills within 100 yards of my childrens swing set in the backyard.

As a rule of thumb? Keep big dogs around. They keep the critters back. I notice between gaps of family dogs (I only keep one at a time). Stuff comes closer to the house. And kills chickens and attacks foals, etc....

Secondly hunt predators legally at every opportunity. I dont have alot of respect for deer hunters who complain about low deer numbers when they dont attempt to fill Bear tags or varmint hunt in winter.

It also is peace of mind when your kids are waiting at the bus stop.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic