Implications of Apparent Consistency of Evidence

MikeZimmer

It is my contention that wide media exposure to the phenomenon, like wide media exposure to anything, has been detrimental to it. Introducing the Laverne & Shirley culture to sasquatchery with such productions as Harry and the Hendersons and the new media creation of docu-drama/"reality tv" shows like Finding Bigfoot is where we got shapeshifting, ufo-bigfeet, mindspeaking, howling in the woods, banging on trees, beef jerky eating Bubbas playing practical jokes on a sasquatch, bigfoot sightings in Central Park and downtown Chicago, etc. There was none of that garbage in 1967........except within the culture of aboriginal spirituality. 

http://www.photekimaging.com/Support/rptcol2.pdf

........Let’s assume that manufactured reports will be uni- formly distributed across the population. If the rate of manufactured reports is constant, then the frequency of reports should correlate to population. To some degree, this is seen in Group B.

There may be other unidentified influencing factors such as mean media exposure to Big- foot, which may influence the density of manufacturing.

The author speculates that Group A and Group B repre- sent different phenomenon. Group B may represent manufactured reports because of the correlation to popu- lation, whereas Group A may represent a different phe- nomenon because of its correlation to population density. The author hypothesizes that if Green’s data is the superposition of multiple phenomena that this is the expected result...........

This circus atmosphere might be fun if you like practical jokes, but it doesn't help find funding for serious science.........if serious science actually exists, which I also happen to believe is as rare as real sasquatches.

3 hours ago, WSA said:

FBF did contribute one thing to the field, in general. It raised the awareness of the phenomena a peg. It took it just a little bit out of the tabloid journalism  realm and nudged it up towards a true scientific discipline, where it should be. Sure, they had to fight the producers who wanted to drag it in the opposite direction,  but for the most part, they won that fight. We know this because most of the episodes were dull as dishwater, pretty much what scientific research is, day after day, until... !  **Disclaimer: I never watched an episode after about the second season**. The biggest contribution was to bring eyewitness accounts into the public awareness where it had to be confronted.

I’d disagree, it may have raised the general public awareness level but on a scientific level I’d guess it was detrimental.   The practice of going in the woods and beating trees or howling does not seem very scientific to me.   I believe scientists would look at them like a bunch of goofballs.  

• Upvote 3

Kind of how I look at them as well. So much more could have been beneficially done beyond just keeping the plates spinning in the air on truth. It's hard to forgive any of them (FB team) for not rising above a circus act or a vendor selling bobble-headed Bigfoots at a conference. Yep, seems harsh but for a guy like me I find the whole charade inexcusable.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 2

On the flip side, BFRO set the foundational standard for databasing the phenomenon. Unfortunately, that also appears to have gone south with regard to publishing/non-publishing, backlogs, etc.

BFF Patron

The BFRO data based died for lack of attention and the fact that when the show was active they used data base reports to get locations for future shows.   When the show was active they probably had some junior person in the production staff reviewing reports.  One of my reports got a producer interested and an invitation to a town hall but that report itself, nor the other I made,   did not get into the data base.   When the show was pulled they did not have anyone paid to look at the encountere reports.      That in itself is sad in that we have forum members who voluntarily are producing data bases.    Money maker could have found one of these people who would have gladly taking over the BFRO data base and run it well.       I think it shows where the focus was within the BFRO, at least at Moneymakers level.  No Finding Bigfoot,   who cares about data bases.    A data base without current data is history,   not data.   Moneymakers business model could have included people more interested in BF research but he chose to run it more like a small fraternity than a research organization.  If it had been more inclusive than exclusionary he could have made much more money with conventions than he made with the expedition theme.    Many national organizations have relatively small membership fees yet their conventions draw thousands of people and fill convention halls.   The AOPA and NRA are two that I can think of in this category.    They also feed the egos of their founders and current leadership.        Moneymaker should have realized a TV show lives and dies with ratings and he was lucky to get as long a run as he did.    Now what does he have?   

• Upvote 1

He has 9 seasons worth of pay days and 9 seasons worth of Bigfooting for free.   He's profited a decent amount while chasing a product he never produced.   Not to bad if you ask me. 

20 minutes ago, Twist said:

He has 9 seasons worth of pay days and 9 seasons worth of Bigfooting for free.   He's profited a decent amount while chasing a product he never produced.   Not to bad if you ask me. 

Yep. He's not bright enough to have planned a retirement fund from his Bigfoot interests. The opportunity fell into his lap. 

I actually never noticed him on the show. He seems like a non person. Clint and Bobo overshadow him. The female, whatever her name is, has the perfect scam. Just be there because whatever and get paid.

34 minutes ago, Twist said:

He is adamantly no kill. He like so many others are caught in a perpetual tail chasing. He will never produce the beast.

He produced entertainment....and people bought it. No different from ancient aliens or ghost hunters. If that’s your thing? So be it.

I guess my mind doesn’t work that way. The only successful hunt is a tangible dead beast on the ground.

• Upvote 1

I agree with everything you said, SWWASAS. But there is a point that I have brought up before in an older thread somewhere a few years back. I hope folks remember it but I think it worth mentioning again. It's in regards to John Green's database. He stopped adding to it back in 2000 when he footed the bill to have the entire things digitized and then gave it to the public for free but there is something important about it. There is data in it that I still consider current even though populating it with reports ended 19 years go. How can this be?

Because there are many reports in his database that mention individual juveniles and groups with small BF's. If one is of the opinion that a Sasquatch can live to be 40-50 years old then one has to think that a lot of those small creatures and juveniles are still around. If Sasquatch is territorial like most animals including Humans then where they grow up may be where they stay. Even in the migratory hypothesis they should return to the places that they know. It comes down to infants would be in their early 20's and juveniles up to say 15 years old would be in their early to mid thirties. Under that criteria I still consider JG's database current until maybe at least the year 2040. And if there are offspring then, by territorial thinking, the generations that follow may hang around the same regions as their ancestors who were adults in 2000 when Mr. Green stopped adding entries. In other words, the JG database still has a lot of life left in it...maybe even generations worth of life.

Just something to think about.....

2 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Yep. He's not bright enough to have planned a retirement fund from his Bigfoot interests. The opportunity fell into his lap. 

I actually never noticed him on the show. He seems like a non person. Clint and Bobo overshadow him. The female, whatever her name is, has the perfect scam. Just be there because whatever and get paid.

I dont pretend to know his "brightness" or have any knowledge of his retirement.  You must be close to someone to have knowledge of Moneymakers retirement plans.

1 hour ago, norseman said:

He is adamantly no kill. He like so many others are caught in a perpetual tail chasing. He will never produce the beast.

He produced entertainment....and people bought it. No different from ancient aliens or ghost hunters. If that’s your thing? So be it.

I guess my mind doesn’t work that way. The only successful hunt is a tangible dead beast on the ground.

His ways are not my cup of tea either, just making my personal assumption of "what he got" from his career in bigfootery.  

Edited by Twist
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Twist said:

You must be close to someone to have knowledge of Moneymakers retirement plans.

I have no knowledge of his plans either but reality shows over that span will get you in the 6 figures (maybe more if invested wisely). Not a bad payday. Though, I am unsure what else he would be qualified to do so hopefully it lasts him.

Edited by Arvedis

4 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

...........Moneymaker should have realized a TV show lives and dies with ratings and he was lucky to get as long a run as he did.    Now what does he have?   

He still has the hottest report site on the continent. I'd guess that BFRO gets as many reports from the public as all the regional bigfoot organizations combined. He doesn't need to publish them. He can sit on them if he so chooses.

But he also gets first crack at checking them out. That's huge.

20 minutes ago, Huntster said:

But he also gets first crack at checking them out. That's huge

Which in my way of thinking means the government gets first crack at checking them out because they have the best assets and deepest pockets in any state one chooses. Moneymaker is in the same position with the BFRO as Harzan is with MUFON and Davenport is with NUFORC.

11 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Which in my way of thinking means the government gets first crack at checking them out because they have the best assets and deepest pockets in any state one chooses.........

How so? For example, if somebody has a sasquatch sighting, goes online and finds BFRO and fills out their report page, government has no clue anything happened. Neither does anybody else. In the case of a series of reports, like the Ocean Shores WA events, BFRO people can work the area hard for years without anybody else knowing. 

10 hours ago, Twist said:

I’d disagree, it may have raised the general public awareness level but on a scientific level I’d guess it was detrimental.   The practice of going in the woods and beating trees or howling does not seem very scientific to me.   I believe scientists would look at them like a bunch of goofballs.  

This post should have 10 upvotes already, not the second I just gave.

I left the old BFF a long time ago when I was much younger and new to this subject. I was convinced that one day I'd log back in and someone would have the body, and proof.

Almost 15 years later I'm contemplating leaving again for a much different reason.

No matter what I believe is true, or how much I want it to be, I'm not sure we will ever have an answer. And then it begs the question, do I want to spend my time checking in on, spending thoughts/concerns, on something that can only do harm to myself, my family, my career, etc... depending on how this all ends up shaking out.

I'm having a hard time saying this time (even posting here) is worth it. I'm not going into deep wilderness where I'm living now.

Maybe it's time for Natfoot to sign off and let go of the legend? I believe many of you here with sightings, and my own family story, but...I don't know.