Western Washington horse camps

norseman

Anybody have any ideas? When Im fixed here Im going to keep to the plan and head over to the west side.

My setup is a Dodge cummins 1 ton 4x4 and a 6 horse trailer. So I cannot just pull into just any old trail head. Im long.

Also, what are the squatchy areas in conjunction to being within striking distance of a horse camp?

Also I do not need a official forest service horse camp to stay at. A large dry meadow I can pull my trailer into works.

Grass and water close by is a massive plus.

Thanks!

Awesome!

I boot hunted out of the Lewis river horse camp one time. The trails were in a bad way and lots of roads in the area. The camp itself was nice. But not much of a reason to bring horses in the first place.

Skagit Valley in BC has a nice dedicated horse camp site a few miles N of Ross Lake. The area has numerous sighting reports. I don't know the logistics of bringing your animals into Canada, though.

Edited by BC witness

Yeah, Americans bringing guns into Canada is frowned upon. One exception, though is if you have a written invitation from a Canadian gun club to come and compete in a club shoot. Another is bringing your own firearm to a booked hunt with a licensed guide. Of course, you're expected to carry them in a locked case until you arrive at your club shoot/guided hunt.

Probably not sliding that rifle into a scabbard and going horse back riding.

Although I did hear if a US citizen took the Canadian gun safety course? Then you could?

9 minutes ago, norseman said:

.........Although I did hear if a US citizen took the Canadian gun safety course? Then you could?

Nope. Armed Americans are pretty much persona non grata.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've paid lawyers hundreds of thousands of dollars, and I know enough to avoid them like a dose of tuberculosis. And having to buy a lawyer in a foreign land sounds like double trouble to me. 

I lightly reviewed your link, and checked out references from that link. When I got to this, it pretty much sealed it for me:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-98-209/page-3.html#docCont

........15 An individual may load a firearm or handle a loaded firearm only in a place where the firearm may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws........

While I consider BC to be the best area of remaining sasquatch habitat, I'm not interested in looking for them there, because Canadians really don't want me there, armed or not. I'm fine with that, too. I really don't want them in Alaska, either. As long as we all just pass through peacefully and with pleasant smiles, all is good. They can keep their sasquatches.

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Probably not sliding that rifle into a scabbard and going horse back riding.

Although I did hear if a US citizen took the Canadian gun safety course? Then you could?

In Britain Columbia your permit to carry a firearm (non-restricted) is your PAL.

There are provisions in the BC hunting regulations for non-resident aliens to hunt.

Also I know there are laws that allow US citizens to drive between Washington state and Alaska with non-restricted firearms.

So it may be possible for you  to do this

The way I read it is as a US citizen I have to take the Canadian firearms safety course. And then I can apply for my PAL?

Is my PAL the same as a Canadian citizen? And if it is? Would it allow me to pack a rifle in the forest for self defense 365 days a year?

Also my grandfather was Canadian. Is there any angle there?

My understanding of the hunting regs in BC, Alberta, and Yukon is that an alien must hire a guide to hunt big game. I don't know about small game.

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

My understanding of the hunting regs in BC, Alberta, and Yukon is that an alien must hire a guide to hunt big game. I don't know about small game.

That was suppose to change. But I do not know if it did. When I took my jet boat up to High Caliber Jet boats in BC to be rebuilt? The owner who also guides was upset about the rule change which allowed non residents to be drop camped with no guide?

Some BC outfiiters were also running some Moose drop camp ads in the Coville paper too for a while.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/2016/02/bc_guides_clash_with_one_of_th.html%3foutputType=amp

From your link:

........Non-resident hunters must still be accompanied by a licensed guide.........

Plus there is a difference between non-resident (Canadian from a different province) and alien (non-Canadian).

I somewhat understand how hunting guides in Canada as well as Alaska have gotten these non-resident guide requirements passed, but AFAIC, it's organized crime. But, from another perspective, I agree with alien guide requirements. I don't want armed foreign nationals running around the U.S. unsupervised, or able to simply fly away after running around armed and unsupervised. 

The PAL program is something I wasn't aware of, but for me it's just too legally risky for any possible gain I might realize. The only big game I could hunt in Canada that I can't hunt in the U.S. is polar bear and Stone sheep, and I'm not interested in either. It's important for me to be able to drive through Canada between Alaska and the Lower 48, but I don't need to be armed. My vehicle is a great weapon, if it comes to that.