Western Washington horse camps

norseman

The ranch is only 30 miles from BC and it would be nice to throw a rifle in with the camping equipment.

Right now I stay at hotels because its risky in bear country to be unarmed. 

A pistol would be the best but I can live with my guide gun.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:51 PM, norseman said:

Awesome!

I boot hunted out of the Lewis river horse camp one time. The trails were in a bad way and lots of roads in the area. The camp itself was nice. But not much of a reason to bring horses in the first place.

You're right, that doesn't seem like a great area there for horse riding. Maybe they ride the Lewis River trail? Which is down along the river. 

You are also right about the trails in the area. A lot of them still exist only because of motorcycle riding, which tears them all to hell. I don't even like walking on them because of the ruts. 

Now if you would like another possibility in the area, Wright Meadow has some good campsites, dispersal type, close by which is off FS RD 93. That's the one that comes out right by the Lewis River horse camp. Your up on the edge of the Dark Divide there. Lots of trails and old gravel logging roads in that area. 

Also my favorite elk hunting area, where I've had other experiences that leave me thinking about sasquatch. 

I think we hunted out that road. To the north? A spur road up there had washed out and we could barely get a ATV through. Big dark timber up on top and a trail that intersected the road. We only saw some cows tho.

We were simply amazed with all of the black top on those forest service roads. Ive never seen anything like that. 

What is the dark divide?

3 minutes ago, norseman said:

What is the dark divide?

I know the road you're talking about. 93 actually goes to the left and west about 16 miles to Rd 25. 

Ever read Robert Pyle's book Where Bigfoot Walks? It's about the dark divide. I recommend it. One of my favorites. The divide runs between Mt St Helens and Mt Adams. Boundary trail #1 runs along the top. 

I havent. But Ill check it out. Maybe up on top it would be worth using stock?

We were up in snagtooth creek I think. Looking at google earth here.

There's a lot of older side roads in the area that could be accessed. Motorcycles do use the trails, mostly on the weekends, so I can't guarantee the condition of them, especially the steeper ones. But the whole area up in there is worth exploring. There are sighting reports in the Wright Meadow area. Old growth interspersed with 25 year old cleatcuts. They haven't logged in there recently. Spotted owl you know. 

Sure.

I liked the country, it was fairly mild, and in that old growth a guy could see through it. The reprod was too tall and thick to hunt or glass in.

One day the clouds cleared and we could see Mt. Adams. That was cool.

Too many people though during modern firearm. But no wolves or grizzlies like Leclerc creek back home. That was nice.

Too many people was one reason I switched to archery for elk. But in the off season there are less people around although at times it can be popular. But there are lots of excellent places to camp throughout the area, not all have stream access though. 

You're probably right about the trackways. An area I've been researching up in there is about 10 miles behind a locked gate in the winter. You could get up road 93 but you would need a snowmobile to cover the last 8 to ten miles. I can't justify the cost of one in this country. It isn't even worth having a Ranger or such for the amount you could use it. 

Restrictions on the 4 wheelers. Personal preference on other noisy motorized vehicles in the woods. ;)

On man! I think a 4 stroke utility snowmobile is just what the doctor ordered!

It would open up some interesting winter country. I have found suspicious tracks in the snow in that area and up around Bumping Lake. But they were kind of melted out so hard to tell for sure.