Western Washington horse camps

norseman

On 2/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, BigTreeWalker said:

I know the road you're talking about. 93 actually goes to the left and west about 16 miles to Rd 25. 

Ever read Robert Pyle's book Where Bigfoot Walks? It's about the dark divide. I recommend it. One of my favorites. The divide runs between Mt St Helens and Mt Adams. Boundary trail #1 runs along the top. 

Im 100 pages in..... bout ready to gouge my eyeballs out.

Between the comments about houdsmen being barbarians, loggers, bike riders being evil, and his fascination with moths.....

Is there certain chapters I should zero in on?

^^^^  I found it a hard read as well.   By his wording, he comes across as having a higher opinion of himself than seems warranted.     I found the book to be not very useful but adequately entertaining so Long as I could remember to laugh at Pyle as the stereotype of all that's wrong with pompous academics.  

MIB

Yes there is that. But my interests were his experiences in the areas I research. Couldn't tell you exactly where that is in the book. He is an environmentalist, as is easy to see. But he is also a naturalist that's knowledgeable about the PNW. The point that was interesting to me was the fact that a large omnivore such as BF could exist in the environment he is discussing. His field of expertise is lepodopterist, hence his interest in moths. 

Edited by BigTreeWalker

Remember we as civilian researchers would like to have those pompous academics take a closer look at BF. He is interested as I wish more were. ;)

Norse, he does give a good description of that country in the GPNF and the dark divide area specifically, that I have spent many years of my life roaming around in. 

I also have a love hate relationship with motorcycles. Not because of the noise but because of what they do to the trails. It's easier to walk in the woods than use many of the trails that they use. But if it wasn't for them, many of those trails wouldn't exist. Just forget about an easy hike or horse use on the steep parts. The ruts are knee deep!

4 minutes ago, BigTreeWalker said:

Remember we as civilian researchers would like to have those pompous academics take a closer look at BF. He is interested as I wish more were. ;)

Norse, he does give a good description of that country in the GPNF and the dark divide area specifically, that I have spent many years of my life roaming around in. 

I also have a love hate relationship with motorcycles. Not because of the noise but because of what they do to the trails. It's easier to walk in the woods than use many of the trails that they use. But if it wasn't for them, many of those trails wouldn't exist. Just forget about an easy hike or horse use on the steep parts. The ruts are knee deep!

I will keep reading because Im gonna go back in there. And your right he is the kind of help we need, despite the fact he is abit grating to read.

But thats not the fault of the Bike riders who have paid a forest pass to be there and pay income tax to the federal government each year.

Its the forest service's job to maintain trails!

Im a member of the Back country horsemen assoc. We do more damn work for them! Rebuilt the snow peak cabin after cutting out the trail in. Packed propane, cots, garbage. 

I bet if the Forest service take charge the BCHA would come in and pack dirt, and the motorcycle club would come in and man shovels and rakes and together they could rebuild those trails and maybe make the better. There are ways to keep those trails from trenching.

Honestly, the only thing I've seen the FS doing is closing and ditching roads. I've seen some they have dug up for miles. Must have cost them a pretty penny. Yet they spend very little on what's still there and barely driveable.

I'm certain that it is groups like yours that have made the few improvements I have seen in the forest. That's why I say some of the trails are still there because of motorcycle riders. 

6 inches of asphalt!

My best friend was on a blue top crew in Spokane. He was incredulous that they had put down so much asphalt for a secondary FS road.

We could tell because that snagtooth road had washed out and you could see the cross section of the road.

Coming from NE Washington and N Idaho? It was pretty insane. Our secondary FS roads are 4x4 only

All that asphalt was put down in the late 70s when it seems like they had money to burn. It was when they were cutting hard into the old growth. No more old growth is being cut now, but they are starting to recut some of the second growth. 

They can't even fix the existing roads now. 

What a waste!

Watching the federal government work is like watching two wolverines fight in a gunny sack.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

The most dangerous USFS campground in the U.S. is Canyon Creek in Western Washington.   You let your girlfriend walk around naked but tie a thick rope to her for when the sasquatch ****** her up and run away at a full clip, with her tucked under one arm like a loaf of bread.  Two women have disappeared out of there, who were both solo at the time.  One was naked.  I read that they eventually found her pile of bones and it looked like she was killed and eaten.  https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/naked-woman-forest-quest-missing-article-1.1370241

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Maureen_Kelly

Maureen Kelly (born September 26, 1993) disappeared on the evening of June 9, 2013 at the Canyon Creek Campground, located in Gifford Pinchot National Forest in Skamania County, Washington. According to a group of friends who were at the campground with Kelly, she stated she was going on a "spiritual quest" and subsequently removed her clothes and walked into the woods wearing only a fanny pack containing knives, matches and a compass.

The Skamania County Sheriff's Department stated that Kelly's friends reported her missing shortly after midnight in the early hours of Monday, June 10. A search was initiated later that day and continued throughout the week. Bare footprints matching Kelly's shoe size were found crossing Canyon Creek and climbing the opposite bank to Forest Road 54, where the trail was lost. K-9 units were reportedly unable to pick up a trace. By Monday night, temperatures in the area had dropped to the mid-40s with light precipitation, sufficient to cause hypothermia in a nude adult.

Looks to me like this one found her spirit on her quest. The Survival Rule of Threes shows that Kelly broke Rules #1 and 3:

1) One can survive 3 seconds without thinking.

2) One can survive 3 minutes without air

3) One can survive 3 hours without shelter

4).............

Or a sexual predator of opportunity on NF 54 was passing by and caught a nice treat.

I suspect drugs and/or alcohol played a role in this story. No need for a sasquatch in this mystery. 

I failed to find reference to a second missing woman or pile of bones.

BFF Patron
On 3/6/2019 at 6:46 PM, norseman said:

What a waste!

Watching the federal government work is like watching two wolverines fight in a gunny sack.

Agreed, there are some sinkholes in that asphalt that will swallow your suspension whole. 

You best drive like you are going to broadside a bull-elk at every bend in some of those roads or you won't have time to avoid some of the worst.

Edited by bipedalist

4 hours ago, bipedalist said:

Agreed, there are some sinkholes in that asphalt that will swallow your suspension whole. 

You best drive like you are going to broadside a bull-elk at every bend in some of those roads or you won't have time to avoid some of the worst.

I learned in the oilfield you either better be doing 5 mph or 50 mph. Nothing in between. Or you will lose a kidney.