The realism of the Patterson-Gimlin Film subject cannot be replicated with a costume so; what are the possibilities? (2)

masterbarber

On 11/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, Bill said:

The irregularities in fur contours on the buttocks can be explained by fat being stored for the impending winter. 

Exactly. It is called steatopygia, and was commonly seen in early hominid females and is still common in certain human tribes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 8:46 AM, hiflier said:

.......California has DNR agents who are also timber cruisers on state forest lands. I would ask them the same things but as far as I know none of them have seen nest-like structures similar to Gorilla nests........

Lyle Laverty was a timber cruiser supervisor in the Bluff Creek area when Patterson and Gimlin shot their famous footage. He and his crew were on the site three days later, and he shot still photos of the footprints. I read (from Bobby Short) that Laverty had found a nest on Scorpion Ridge, which is almost directly above the Patterson film site. I do not know when his nest find occurred.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Lyle Laverty was a timber cruiser supervisor in the Bluff Creek area when Patterson and Gimlin shot their famous footage. He and his crew were on the site three days later, and he shot still photos of the footprints. I read (from Bobby Short) that Laverty had found a nest on Scorpion Ridge, which is almost directly above the Patterson film site. I do not know when his nest find occurred.

I had never heard this.    I thought it was someone else who saw -not a nest- but an area where is was guessed Patty might have sat down to observe Roger and Bob that day.  I would think since Laverty took photos of the tracks he would take a pic of such a thing had it been obvious and unusual.  This is esp true in light of why Laverty went back to bluff creek with the camera in the first place.   Maybe it was Laverty and he was out of film.   Whomever it was, Was it a nest?  Never heard it thought of as a nest vs. some place to just sit down in the grass.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Backdoc said:

......... I thought it was someone else who saw -not a nest- but an area where is was guessed Patty might have sat down to observe Roger and Bob that day.........

That was Titmus who was on site several days later and who claimed to track Patty for quite a ways........maybe a quarter mile or more.

........I would think since Laverty took photos of the tracks he would take a pic of such a thing had it been obvious and unusual.  This is esp true in light of why Laverty went back to bluff creek with the camera in the first place.   Maybe it was Laverty and he was out of film.........

My guess would be that Laverty didn't have a camera when he found the nest. He was probably on the clock for the USFS when he stumbled upon it. Moreover, it may have been years before 1967. He had worked that corner of California for some 15 years or so. 

When they went to the PG site on Monday, 23 October 1967, it was specifically to see the site that they'd heard the filming took place. They were in Orleans for the weekend when they'd heard the news of the Friday afternoon filming, at which time they were probably preparing to drive out of the woods for the weekend. It would be no surprise that they'd bring a camera on such a visit.

His nest find was mentioned by Bobbie Short, if memory serves me correctly. In the same reading it was mentioned that he also had a sighting or some other encounter near Hyampom. He was definitely interested in the phenomenon.

• Upvote 3

Too bad that's all we've heard of this. My suspicion is that this is from personal conversations Laverty had with others of the era and location that he kept close to his chest because of his professional situation with the USFS.