Displaced Reference article - C. Barackman

Madison5716

Calling coyotes is an interesting reference to responses by vocal animals. It's my experience that immediate howls after rabbit-in-distress calls is a warning to other coyotes from educated coyotes that a man is trying to trick them, and I get no shows. When coyotes come to rabbit-in-distress calls, it's usually without vocalizations, and usually on the run, but some do try sneaking in. Cats always sneak in. Bears usually come on the run to moose-calf-in-distress calls, but I did watch one younger sow sneak closer for a peek.........

Researchers exposed wild orangutans to models of predators (like tigers) and waited for alarm responses.  As it turns out, the closer the predator was to the orangutan, the longer it waited to vocalize its alarm call.  Also, the younger a female’s infant was had bearing on when the orangutan would vocalize.  In many cases, the vocalizations would come long after the predator model was removed

Now I am quoting this off of Cliff's Blog. I can see why the orang's would not be responding right away to the threat. If you were to hear that there is a threat in the area of a predator where you were sitting/standing would you then vocalize and make your self prey. It seems as though that by them becoming vocal that they would make themselves a target to that threat. So by being vocal would let the predator know and help find their position. So yes it is no wonder why they would not be vocal until after the threat would be long gone. 

These creature might feel the same way about us as those orang's except that when we become vocal. They seem to use it to walk away from us. They might even become vocal or make knocks to get a position on where we as humans might be. They might answer us a few times but become distant as they answer. Unless they are very interested in us in which case they will remain and watch us. But as for my self I still do not see them as primates like Monkeys, Apes, Gorrillas. Whether I was dealing with a Sas or I was dealing with an entity that was mimicking these creatures to a tee. They do not have the fear that other creatures have that are apex that roam our wilderness.  The one thing that they are very good is that they know how to play a Human.

2 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Researchers exposed wild orangutans to models of predators (like tigers) and waited for alarm responses

Did the models of predators move and have 'predator' smell?

Reminds me of a test with Canadian Geese.  Plastic 'owls' were placed in areas where the geese frequented to scare them.  The geese defecated on the owls. Good test. 

Catmandoo

It is funny since I have done similar things with birds in my back yard. I have placed a plastic owl that does not move on a fence post so that the pigeons and the starlings would stop eating the dog food for my dogs.  My results are similar with one exception which is the starlings are not afraid of the plastic owl.  I have yet to see a pigeon but have seen an owl hanging out and around the area. But I have not tried owl calls to see if this would have any effect on the starlings.

But if we are out in the field looking for these creatures and we are calling out for them. Who is to say that they are not listening and will occasionally cry out to see if we are still around. This way when we answer back to their call they know to walk away from where we are calling out to them. The only time that I believe that they would come near us is when they are very interested in us and want to gain more information from us. I would not call them hunting us but more of a observation. The times that I was hunting I had no idea that they were even around . It is not until I started to observe those little settled signs that I knew I was being observed by them or of some type of entity. There is no other way to describe what was taking place .

• 3 months later...

So sad that Cliff thinks human vocals would be convincing to a BF.  I wish I could have gotten paid to bum around in the woods like he did.

If I thought a Tiger was close to me? I wouldn’t make a sound either. Smart Orangs.

What seems to be going about 50 feet over Cliffs head? Is he is technically not as smart as an Orang. (No offense Cliff, I like the guy)

If he thinks he is close to a Sasquatch in the woods? Why would he call out and draw attention to himself? 

Maybe it’s the hunter in me. But I like having the drop on things. Most Bigfooters would say it’s impossible to have the drop on Sasquatch. And yet we have the PGF that proves that completely false.

I use mouth calls to make recordings and then place the speaker 100 feet from me, the animal if I played my cards right with sight and smell, should be focused on the sound and not me. I’m not saying I’m Wayne Carlton.... but I have had success.

I've been in close proxmity to wolves several times. In every case, and as would be expected, the wolf/wolves knew I was there. Like the old adage goes, "If you see a wolf, he's seen you twice." 

There's no surprising him, so I simply relax and talk to him in a soft reassuring voice. This has had an almost universal effect; curiosity. The body language of this reaction is non-threatening. The return behavior has mostly been the wolf sitting down and watching me with curiosity.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this at close quarters with bears or larger packs of wolves, and I don't believe I will...........

34 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I've been in close proxmity to wolves several times. In every case, and as would be expected, the wolf/wolves knew I was there. Like the old adage goes, "If you see a wolf, he's seen you twice." 

There's no surprising him, so I simply relax and talk to him in a soft reassuring voice. This has had an almost universal effect; curiosity. The body language of this reaction is non-threatening. The return behavior has mostly been the wolf sitting down and watching me with curiosity.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this at close quarters with bears or larger packs of wolves, and I don't believe I will...........

And especially a Tiger..... I hate cats. Sneaky rotten scoundrels.... and efficient killers.

Actually, I've done it with lynxes. Funny cats, those. They aren't nearly as sneaky and murderous as either cougars or bobcats in my experience. They certainly are curious like the proverbial cat whose curiosity got him killed. I've been in close proximity to several and spoken to some of them while they sat and watched me.

One of the best lynx stories in Alaska I remember was a woman somewhere down here on the Kenai Peninsula who found a big cat in her kitchen. Apparently it had followed the dog in through the doggie door. Irritated, she grabbed him and stuffed him back out of said doggie door. 

Then, while looking at the cat through the kitchen window while it stared back at her from the porch, she realized it was a lynx..........