Aptly Named Locations

NatFoot

I always thought the connection Paulides made to places of disappearances goes with their name was interesting. Things like, Booger Hollow, Ape Canyon, etc.

Unfortunately I'm moving from CO to CT but on the very long drive I came across my own. On I-64 onto the way into Hoosier National Forest there is a Monkey Hollow Winery. Naturally when I stopped for the night I looked in the BFRO database and there is a history of sightings and encountered there.

Interesting to say the least....who knows, maybe it's part of the larger government cover-up and some our designated national forests were designated because they needed to find refuge for these big 'ol apes.

Fun to think about, at least.

31 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Monkey Hollow Winery. Naturally when I stopped for the night I looked in the BFRO database and there is a history of sightings and encountered there.

I would guess that there are many sightings and encounters at Monkey Hollow Winery. Must be some powerful stuff.

Terms on maps like Skookum and Devils slide, Devils lake, etc.,  are common on maps.

58 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

I would guess that there are many sightings and encounters at Monkey Hollow Winery. Must be some powerful stuff.

Terms on maps like Skookum and Devils slide, Devils lake, etc.,  are common on maps.

I get they are common....the point being is there a history in these places or did random settlers just like names like Skookum? Booger?

If this interests you, for the Pac NW, Henry Franzoni's "In the Spirit of Seatco" is a great resource.    Translations of "Indian" place names really does seem to track with a map of bigfoot reports.    Some of his other conclusions jibe with my assessment of the report data.   It was truly an interesting read.  

MIB

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

^^^ A good read.  I activated my orphaned DeLorme map software and entered 'devil' and then 'skookum'.  The column of 'devil' related listings is huge, country wide. 'Skookum' listings are west coast, numbering over 60 in the DeLorme database.  There is only one listing for Skookum Meadows ( Washington ).  There are a few Skookum Lakes in Oregon.  'Skookum' is one of many names for 'Sasquatch'. Indigenous Indian tribes had their own names for the big guy: Albatwitche, B'gwas, Boqs, Chiye-tanka, Holla Yella, Nuk-Luk,  Oh-mah, Opie, Seatco, Weendego are but a few examples. The map makers used historical names in many locations.

Connecticut has several locations with 'Devil' in the name.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron
2 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

^^^ A good read.  I activated my orphaned DeLorme map software and entered 'devil' and then 'skookum'.  The column of 'devil' related listings is huge, country wide. 'Skookum' listings are west coast, numbering over 60 in the DeLorme database.  There is only one listing for Skookum Meadows ( Washington ).  There are a few Skookum Lakes in Oregon.  'Skookum' is one of many names for 'Sasquatch'. Indigenous Indian tribes had their own names for the big guy: Albatwitche, B'gwas, Boqs, Chiye-tanka, Holla Yella, Nuk-Luk,  Oh-mah, Opie, Seatco, Weendego are but a few examples. The map makers used historical names in many locations.

Henry Franzoni's book about Seatco included a whole mapping of all these names across the country devil, windigo, skookum, booger,  monkey, ape etc.   He graciously sent me a review copy on dvd, got to review it some day I guess. 

From his foreward: "Seatco is a nineteenth century term from the Chinook Jargon, the one-time trade language of the Pacific Northwest. Indians described the Seatco as a mysterious tribe of Indians that possessed puzzling powers... among which was their ability to kill game with hypnotic power and their ability to turn invisible. Since the 1920s, modern society has disregarded Indian wisdom about the Seatco as superstition and myth, coinciding with the rise of mechanism and reductionism and the defeat of vitalism in institutional science. Institutional science has found no place for the Seatco (known today as the Sasquatch).. After 50 years of cursory interest, institutional science has acquired no hard evidence that they exist. However, the places the Indians said they lived still exist. Explore the location of over 4000 early place names and embark on a quest to find out if the Seatco are still there. Accompany the author as he seeks to understand the puzzling powers of the Seatco... exploring the possible connections between science and spirituality... between Indian wisdom and the discarded 19th century idea of ?field lines? as well as the long abandoned scientific school of thought named "vitalism?. Learn about a possible explanation for the puzzling powers of the Seatco using the 19th century theories of Faraday, Maxwell, Tesla, and the vitalists. Journey across North America and learn how extrordinary proof of their theories awaits discovery in the high and lonely realm of the Seatco."

https://books.google.com/books/about/In_the_Spirit_of_Seatco.html?id=ZrJsPgAACAAJ

Edited by bipedalist

Alaska natives have their own names for them. In southeast Alaska, the name kushtaka is used. There is a very, very wild location where Kushtaka Lake, Kushtaka Mountain, and Kushtaka Glacier are right there adjacent to each other (60 22'52"N, 144 06'59"W). When I say wild, that is an understatement. Few humans have been there, the only way in is by bush plane, and Cordova Air is reluctant to bring people in. They refused to bring me in alone, and within a year the guy who I spoke to crashed in the area and was killed. I've only spoken to one other man who has been in there. He was a USFS summer worker who was with a small crew of mempn trying to establish a kayak "trail" from the lake down Stillwater Creek to the Bering River, and down the Beting to the coast. They camped on the island on the lake to keep away from all the bears, and the wind off the glacier darned near killed them. Then trying to float down Stillwater Creek was crawling with brown bears. He said they were everywhere. 

On the west side of the lake on a some map I found there was mention of an "abandoned village". I talked to a native history expert, but he never found out anything about this village. My bet is that it was like Portlock, Alaska, and was abandoned because the sasquatches scared them out.

In the early part of the 20th Century Alaska's first oil strike was on the coast nearby. The town of Katalla was founded, but is now a ghost town. I always wanted to find a piece of private land there to buy. I've seen plats of the old townsite, but I can't figure out who owns those old lots or how to make contact with them. It would be the perfect SHTF bug out location.........but tough to get to.

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Alaska natives have their own names for them. In southeast Alaska, the name kushtaka is used. There is a very, very wild location where Kushtaka Lake, Kushtaka Mountain, and Kushtaka Glacier are right there adjacent to each other (60 22'52"N, 144 06'59"W). When I say wild, that is an understatement. Few humans have been there, the only way in is by bush plane, and Cordova Air is reluctant to bring people in. They refused to bring me in alone, and within a year the guy who I spoke to crashed in the area and was killed. I've only spoken to one other man who has been in there. He was a USFS summer worker who was with a small crew of mempn trying to establish a kayak "trail" from the lake down Stillwater Creek to the Bering River, and down the Beting to the coast. They camped on the island on the lake to keep away from all the bears, and the wind off the glacier darned near killed them. Then trying to float down Stillwater Creek was crawling with brown bears. He said they were everywhere. 

On the west side of the lake on a some map I found there was mention of an "abandoned village". I talked to a native history expert, but he never found out anything about this village. My bet is that it was like Portlock, Alaska, and was abandoned because the sasquatches scared them out.

In the early part of the 20th Century Alaska's first oil strike was on the coast nearby. The town of Katalla was founded, but is now a ghost town. I always wanted to find a piece of private land there to buy. I've seen plats of the old townsite, but I can't figure out who owns those old lots or how to make contact with them. It would be the perfect SHTF bug out location.........but tough to get to.

http://texascryptidhunter.blogspot.com/2015/08/sasquatch-classics-murder-and-mayhem-in.html

Interesting...

8 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

There is also a north and south skookum lake in Pend Oreille county. Last Washington county that borders north Idaho.

13 hours ago, NatFoot said:

I always thought the connection Paulides made to places of disappearances goes with their name was interesting. Things like, Booger Hollow, Ape Canyon, etc.

Unfortunately I'm moving from CO to CT but on the very long drive I came across my own. On I-64 onto the way into Hoosier National Forest there is a Monkey Hollow Winery. Naturally when I stopped for the night I looked in the BFRO database and there is a history of sightings and encountered there.

You're going from open spaces and mountains to a place where human activity is inescapable. Not too much in the way of sasquatching in that area. Where will you drive to for research and/or expeditions? Pine Barrens, Catskills, Adirondacks, other?

Not necessarily, NW CT looks active, and there are recent reports in other areas.

I think it is likely that forests and parks of all sorts have been tacitly recognized as special enough to be protected at least partly because of them, although it can't be proven. I think the place names mostly predate such protections, whether named by natives or settlers. They are very interesting.

Edited by JKH
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1