Aptly Named Locations

NatFoot

The Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) is the Federal and national standard for geographic nomenclature. The U.S. Geological Survey developed the GNIS in support of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names as the official repository of domestic geographic names data, the official vehicle for geographic names use by all departments of the Federal Government, and the source for applying geographic names to Federal electronic and printed products.

https://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/index.html

9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

You're going from open spaces and mountains to a place where human activity is inescapable. Not too much in the way of sasquatching in that area. Where will you drive to for research and/or expeditions? Pine Barrens, Catskills, Adirondacks, other?

They or something is here that have 3 toes

Edited by 7.62
  • Upvote 1

Reading how the bear population is on the rise in CT I'd think bigfoot may be around too. I use to hunt around the Quabin res area in Ma when I was a kid, good deer action around Bare also. I don't think bigfoot is afraid of our subdivisions once he figures his way around!! I'll have agree too, you're going from freedom to a heavily commie state.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Doubt I'll do much squatching to be honest. Time camping and fly fishing in Vermont, NH and Maine will be the extent of it.

I have a very good friend who is a registered Maine fly fishing guide with some good spots for trout. He's been one for years. Even ties his own flies so he's the real deal. He also did the illustration on the front cover of my book so yeah, a good friend :) 

Edited by hiflier

I wonder if there is any noticeable pattern between locations with native names and the locations with settler/European type names/descriptions? In theory there should be but i cant think how.