Scaling objects in your trail cam images

Catmandoo

How big is that bear/deer/big hairy mammal/stump in your trail cam pics?  It is not difficult to get an approximation. I use metric Pocket Rods to scale animal images. I use metric due to the resolution of trail cameras. It is easy to see centimeters. After I place a trail cam and before I switch out the storage media/batteries, I wander around in front of the camera, stopping in many places. Sturdy camera mounts are important for image alignment. I have home made accessories for my Pocket Rods for distance from camera..

IMG_0781.JPG

The Pocket Rod is 2 meters in length. The 1 meter mark is in red ink.

IMG_0143.JPG

The horizontal Pocket Rod has the 1 meter mark in front of my whistle & signal mirror.

IMG_0149.JPG

A little image processing and the bear is scaled. In setting this image up, I thought about being the invisible researcher and just adding my gloved hands and Pocket Rods.

Scale Cinnaboo_IMG_0781_149_143.jpg

Here we have Jane Doe.

IMG_0375.JPG

No deers were poked during this exercise.

Scale Jane Doe_IMG_0375_134.jpg

Accessories for measuring. The image below is from my 1st set of distance cards. They were made from 3 X 5 cards. My new sets are plastic.  The distance cards are slipped over the 'blade'. The image shows the Pocket Rod at 1/2 meter away from the camera ( the comma is not in view ). A tape measure is stretched out on the ground and I walk out to the distance indicated on the cards.

Pocket rod at 0,5 meter.JPG

Edited by Catmandoo
  • Upvote 2

Admin

^^^ Brilliant!

That's so smart, I can't believe I didn't think of it first.  :)

Thanks for the tip!

• gigantor featured this topic

Stay tuned, I have more.  My new distance scales are larger for moving further away from the camera.  The scale routine does take time in the field to set up and does not burn up an SD card.  Assembling night time images that were created in IR is ugly, but it still works.

Scaling a moving bear in black & white.  I went invisible and have my hands in the image.  I left my trekking pole in place. The length is adjustable and I record the 'height'.

Scale bear_IMG_0427_37_208.jpg

• gigantor unfeatured this topic