High Country BF News

bipedalist

BFF Patron

https://www.hcn.org/articles/essays-even-if-bigfoot-isnt-real-we-still-need-him?utm_source=wcn1&utm_medium=email

Cool article on our favorite hairy biped from High Country News

Edited by bipedalist
  • Thanks 1

Came across that yesterday (4/1) while looking for nest site updates. As usual, the article plays it safe with the level of information it talks about. In other words, no interest whatsoever in solving the mystery- just a soft approach with the same talking points about existence. As in "even if Bigfoot isn't real" which again is a safe article. It's business as usual where journalism keeps to their typical, no stance, no risk, middle of the road. Didn't do a thing for me but reinforce that Laura Krantz is getting a lot of mileage out of the subject. She's keeping the discovery in the public eye though so I guess that says something.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I assume she is related to Grover, must have missed that if she is. 

Why so negative, I thought it was better than most articles and gave some results.

In perusing her podcast splashpage I see a lot of good references to other articles.  

https://www.foxtopus.ink/wildthing/

In the end, some of us will probably miss the Biggest Squatchiest pressie of all for various reasons:  can't live long enough, have squatchaphilia ad nauseum syndrome, are not techy enough to tune in; etc etc   

I like people like this that at least are out there seeking (and receiving a free visit to the nests--lucky duck).   

I think they are worthy of having a post=up, never heard of her or wildthings up to now. 

You are righ, bp, in that it's better than most. She is indeed a distant cousin of Dr. Krantz's. One of her podcasts did have Dr. Todd Disotell's announcing that the e-DNA testing of the nest site soil samples came back Human, bear, etc. which is what Dr. Meldrum had announced in a podcast a couple of months prior back in September I think. I'm still surprised that the announcements were made in such a low key, rather obscure manner being that the results were pretty highly anticipated by anyone following the Olympic Project's initial discovery nearly four years ago now. Ms. Krantz IS doing the work of keeping the discovery fresh in everyone's minds so I give her credit for that as well as my thanks. 

BFF Patron

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-cm-wild-thing-podcast-20181002-story.html

Krantz was her grandfathers cousin.  I agree about the results, they must have been crushed and thus low key. 

49 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

I agree about the results, they must have been crushed and thus low key.

Sounds plausible.

Thanks very much for sharing. 

I completely agree. We need the non existent creature. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:39 AM, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thanks very much for sharing. 

I completely agree. We need the non existent creature. 

HAH! Yeah, but not nearly as much as the existing one LOL.

Her podcast started in October and cranked out episodes religiously for 2 months, and then just stopped.  One 10 minute bonus show this year so far.  Great shows for the most part.

What a condescending story, painting those who have experiences as misguided, starry-eyed hopefuls without any concrete evidence. There's plenty of evidence; what we lack is proof. Articles like this won't inspire anyone to join the search. 

• Upvote 1

It also won't inspire anyone lo do anything beyond the "field" either which according to the article has yielded nothing. In other words, absolutely no mention that aim at any authority is even a thought. It only serves to keep the focus on that researching the woods is the only option. The pattern of that kind od writing is everywhere- even in books- never mind the internet. It does nothing to encourage the public to be stronger when it comes to discovery. Almost as if we are poor victims of our own "beliefs". Sad. Playing the publicity angle of "I'm almost but not quite convinced" is an old journalistic mechanism. It keeps everything in the old "you decide" camp. So one can write all they want about the subject as long as they stay career-neutral. Safe,.

8 hours ago, hiflier said:

It also won't inspire anyone lo do anything beyond the "field" either which according to the article has yielded nothing. In other words, absolutely no mention that aim at any authority is even a thought.

Hiflier, are you not factoring in career suicide? Anxiety concerning pensions prevails. It is understandable.  PGF and plaster casts will not sway them. They are aware of the fake-footers, rubber monkey suits, home less person eating a pancake and DNA fiascos. And you tube?

For many, the only aim is targeting social media..........that is all they know.

2 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

They are aware of the fake-footers, rubber monkey suits, home less person eating a pancake and DNA fiascos. And you tube?

And so the "assumption" is because the low level stuff is all fake then there is no reason to pry out a definitive answer where none has been forthcoming.  Pensions and social media is understandable but it still is OK to call the kettle black. Reason is I have yet to see any investigative reports/journalists turn their skills toward the strange silence coming from agencies on the matter. Don't forget, if "they" think it's a myth and just folklore then one would thin that it would also be true in the higher echelons of wildlife management? But I don't see WM saying it's a myth- if it is indeed a myth.

Look, people are out there getting run over and shot because SOME folks think the creature is real. In other words, the public that ventures into the woods is at risk for injury or even death. And yet no one in authority will stand up and put a stop to those risks by saying Bigfoot isn't real? Where is the logic in that? It is a case where an agency's silence really does place people in danger because we all know there are folks out there with guns looking for these creatures. TV shows about it are entertainment but in the real world I think it to be a fairly serious situation. Please, tell me I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Edited by hiflier

^^^^ I can't say you're the only one, but you're the only one making a big fuss over it.    Nobody gets out of life alive.     Odds are we're more likely to die in a car wreck on our way to some bigfoot search than we are from all causes during the search, including being shot, added together. 

So far as authority ... well, who has the authority to say anything more than "we don't know" or "we don't believe so"?     Agencies are in the same boat everyone else is, it's possible to demonstrate a positive by producing it but there is no way to KNOW, to actually produce a negative, the best that can be said is "not so far."    You're asking the rationally impossible.

MIB

40 minutes ago, MIB said:

I can't say you're the only one, but you're the only one making a big fuss over it.    Nobody gets out of life alive.     Odds are we're more likely to die in a car wreck on our way to some bigfoot search than we are from all causes during the search, including being shot, added together. 

Excuse me, I guess that makes it all OK then? Dying in a car wreck however wouldn't be because authorities didn't say cars and trucks were dangerous. Laws are created to help save people from that. Why? because cars and trucks are real......the authorities said they were, the laws say they are. I mean it's not like getting hit by a bus because authorities couldn't tell us that buses whether are real or not.

40 minutes ago, MIB said:

You're asking the rationally impossible.

MIB, Sasquatch is an animal. Authorities have the JOB of knowing about animals. Especially about animals that walk on two legs, weigh in excess of 6-800 pounds and are 6-9 feet tall. Sounds like you are saying they couldn't possibly know about such a creature. Or even suspect that there is one. Odd how there never enough money for that research but there is money to run e-DNA tests in ponds. So.....rationally (key word "rationally") impossible? I think not. The Feds can pop a NEON facility in the woods to monitor living things but there's no money for tranquilizing a Sasquatch? How dose ANYONE believe that? The 62 unit NEON facility program is going to run the U.S. taxpayers nearly $470,000,000 which is an average of $7.5 million per location- like WA and OR .........yet they are still left with an "I don't know" on Bigfoot?  I find THAT rationally impossible.

Edited by hiflier