New Ancestor?

WSA

We landed men on the moon 50 years ago, and several nations have landed unmanned vehicles there since, but nobody has colonized it, and nobody is likely to waste resources doing so. Even a military presence there has so far proven unnecessary. I'm more than confident that Mars is a similar venture, but even more expensive in both financial investment and potential loss of life. Another world war involving battles in orbit might change overall military strategy to include a presence on the moon, but not likely Mars beyond simply being there to prevent others from militarizing the place.

BFF Patron

The noon was either so boring geologically that they did not want to do all the Apollo missions or we were scared off by who was there watching us.    Both may be true.   My gut feeling is Mars will be the same deal.   

The moon race was essentially a Cold War battle. Actually landing on the moon was simply a game of King of the Hill. The Soviets didn't even play along. All they did was continue their espionage and subversion within our society while our science industries played with their new toys. The end surprise was that the game produced an incredible amount of spin-off technologies that catapulted the American economy well beyond where the Soviets could ever catch up.

But the real end is still playing out; the long march of communist infiltration into our government, schools, universities, entertainment industry, and media is still playing havoc not only with us, but now with a Russia that has moved beyond the failed communist ideology. 

Steady, continued unmanned exploration of Mars is appropriate, and it will continue. Snake oil salesmen will continue to try to sell pie-in-space concepts and science fiction books. But we have our hands full here. The house needs some serious desanitizing, and the powdered aristocrats won't be flying off and leaving the mess, because they can't. Ain't happening.........today, or a century from now. Few will want to live on a lifeless red rock with ambient temperatures averaging under 100 degrees below zero. If that was true, Antarctica would be full of people with penguin feeders in their yards and Mayan laborers shoveling their snow for them.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I think they pretty well have decided that manned stations on the moon or Mars pretty well have to be underground.    Both because of impact danger and solar radiation without heavy shielding would quickly be lethal for astronauts.    The easiest way to get shielding material is to use what is already there by digging or piling it on top of structures.  

There are those that hold that we 've had ongoing developments on/in the moon since we first got there, with covert space fleets financed through black budgets. I'm sure some might contend the same holds true for mars, with all our "gradual investigations" merely a cover to distract the masses from the reality of the situation. This isn't my take on it mind you, however i wouldn't be too surprised were it to come to light that valued resources may not have been reported in their entirety, be  they lunar or martian. As for those we may have "met" there, who's to say? They may have shown us(or "the powers that be") technologies that enable colonization, or proffered rental space they'd already established who knows how many years/centuries/millennia ago.

As a few have postulated, I'd wager most "pioneers" wouldn't be the super wealthy, presuming our space program is as presented to us now, as most of them prefer to let others do the preliminary dyings/tragic ends, only showing up once the resorts are at least near completion. If there are established covert bases on either body, supported by the secret space force or in cooperation with extraterrestrials, then who knows who might be buying tickets? Could just be the 0.1%, or those privy to the alien presence. 

So whether or not we'll progress as a species out beyond this planet is largely a matter of ones perspective, faith, or delusion and who can say who's wrong in their take on things. 

I do like the chicken bone hypothesis in regards to funding the space program!!!

BFF Patron

My son says that a hoax like the chicken bone has actually been discussed and rejected at JPL when they have been concerned about funding.   One fossil sea shell would do the trick.    Problem being they are on the verge of retrieving interesting samples and sending them back with the next generations of rovers.    Testing a fossil from earth would end up showing it was from earth if it was sent back.     The 2020 rover has a helicopter on board that will fly around and look for interesting stuff.