New Ancestor?

WSA

Considering just how much evolution tinkers with the basic human floorplan in isolated Earth settings, imagine the evolutionary changes that will inevitably occur once mankind starts colonizing planets, moons, and constructed voluminous space stations. Let alone what vast changes genetic engineering will produce.

Edited by Incorrigible1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Considering just how much evolution tinkers with the basic human floorplan in isolated Earth settings, imagine the evolutionary changes that will inevitably occur once mankind starts colonizing planets, moons, and constructed voluminous space stations. Let alone what vast changes genetic engineering will produce.

I’ve thought of this. 

At first it will be a a bottleneck. Think astronauts and mission control. Once corporations start lifting off Earth? It will be more like the Wild West and the Oregon trail.

Eventually factions will turn into new species, as humanity colonizes the cosmos. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

14 hours ago, norseman said:

I’ve thought of this. 

At first it will be a a bottleneck. Think astronauts and mission control. Once corporations start lifting off Earth? It will be more like the Wild West and the Oregon trail.

Eventually factions will turn into new species, as humanity colonizes the cosmos. 

5 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Another little hominin! How exciting! Our family tree is getting bushier.

Methinks you guys have absorbed too much science fiction. First of all, these human species or sub species that these Leakey wannabes are "discovering" are all long, long dead, and here we are on a forum lamenting the very real likelihood that we can't get these same paleoanthropologists interested in kicking up the few remaining live hominins out there. Frankly, if anybody needs to go off and live on the far side of the moon (if they're not there already ideologically), it's them.

Moreover, there is an absolutely pervasive ideology that demands that we agree that the Huntster and a Bambenga tribesman are the same critters. Indeed, according to the DNA wizards, I have 43% sub-Saharan African DNA, yet I'm so vastly different from them it's literally like night and day. If Asiatic elephants and African elephants are different sub-species, American black bears and grizzly bears different sub-soecies,  how can I be the same as a Bambenga tribesman?

The Denisovan deal is particularly stunning, especially coming after the Zana stories. They literally created this sub-species out of a piece of a single finger bone, like gods creating a woman from Adam's rib, yet they'll call me a "creationist". 

Bah. Humbug.................

Hunster…I don't believe it is as much a question of IF you can divide modern H. sapiens into bins, but rather WHY you would want to do that, and for WHAT purpose? We have a rather tragic history to show what usually happens when this idea is emphasized.

But I do agree with the idea that we are not likely  to be camping out on Mars, or any other extraterrestrial location, anytime soon, or ever. But even if so, I'm not sure what beneficial adaptive pressures are brought by "burning up on reentry", "dying of asphyxiation or starvation", "murdered by a crew member who always resented victim's attitude", or "marooned when mission control's funding was cut-off"! Besides, you need procreation opportunities, and when your ability to obtain additional food, water and oxygen provide a hard limit on population increases, your pace of evolution is glacial, even as compared to the a pace of evolution under completely favorable circumstances.

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Methinks you guys have absorbed too much science fiction. First of all, these human species or sub species that these Leakey wannabes are "discovering" are all long, long dead, and here we are on a forum lamenting the very real likelihood that we can't get these same paleoanthropologists interested in kicking up the few remaining live hominins out there. Frankly, if anybody needs to go off and live on the far side of the moon (if they're not there already ideologically), it's them.

Moreover, there is an absolutely pervasive ideology that demands that we agree that the Huntster and a Bambenga tribesman are the same critters. Indeed, according to the DNA wizards, I have 43% sub-Saharan African DNA, yet I'm so vastly different from them it's literally like night and day. If Asiatic elephants and African elephants are different sub-species, American black bears and grizzly bears different sub-soecies,  how can I be the same as a Bambenga tribesman?

The Denisovan deal is particularly stunning, especially coming after the Zana stories. They literally created this sub-species out of a piece of a single finger bone, like gods creating a woman from Adam's rib, yet they'll call me a "creationist". 

Bah. Humbug.................

Your proving our point!

Your 43% sub Saharan African and yet you kill caribou north of 60! Yes! You have adapted, overcame, and changed! 

Your story is a magnificent testimony to resiliency and adaptability of the human race.

When your great grandchildren fly off to Mars and Io and hundreds of other planets and moons? They are gonna need that adaptability and resilience of yours to colonize new places man has never tread.

We are already landing robots on Mars. I don’t think we can call it science fiction any longer. Sending humans to Mars is on a short countdown.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, WSA said:

Hunster…I don't believe it is as much a question of IF you can divide modern H. sapiens into bins, but rather WHY you would want to do that, and for WHAT purpose?........

The same can be asked of the now multiplying new species of hominins. The repeated question now served up in the growing number of drama-documentaries is "what happened to them?", and the repeated conclusions (based more upon the producers ideology than science) are two-fold: 1) They are now part of us, and 2) the naturally evil parts of us killed them off. 

This fits their need to deal with both absolute needs to address racism as well as continue thev"evil man" narrative being pushed by the science funders (who are trying desperately to swindle more funding with climate taxes, justified by our evil ways).

We have a rather tragic history to show what usually happens when this idea is emphasized.

That is precisely why the reality is socially, politically, and ideologically taboo, despite the obvious. Thus, it is more ideology than biology.

Let them show some interest in a potential 1000 lb hominin seen repeatedly every year and leaving fresh trace evidence, not 40,000 year old bone fragments. Then I'll lend them more credibility.

We may tag Mars, yes. I mean, it has been proven that you can get anyone to attempt just about anything if you offer them enough money. Colonies of content citizens going about their Martian lives over multiple generations? Notgonnahappen.  That is an easy prediction to make mainly because the planet is unlikely to contain any food, water or breathable atmosphere. That some consider this to not be a complete deal-breaker is consistent with the theory of Pathological Technologies. This would be the same derangement that convinced an entire country and millions around the world that flying around in large bladders filled with the most combustible elements known is somehow a great idea.   

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, norseman said:

Your proving our point!

Your 43% sub Saharan African and yet you kill caribou north of 60! Yes! You have adapted, overcame, and changed! .........

Bambenga tribesmen are pygmies, about the size of Homo Floresiensis. My African lineage were Sub-Saharan, but they were dragged here kicking and screaming within the past 400 years, and they were double the size of Bambenga, Who would want tiny agricultural slaves?

We are already landing robots on Mars. I don’t think we can call it science fiction any longer. Sending humans to Mars is on a short countdown.

Going to Mars and colonizing it are two different ventures. The former is a waste of assets and magic trick for the masses, and the latter is a pipedream even more of a waste. The best asset Mars can become would be as a penal colony.