New Ancestor?

WSA

BFF Patron

You must not be able to sleep tonight either.  

Edited by SWWASAS

5 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

You must not be able to sleep tonight either.  

I sleep pretty well now. It's amazing how retirement shed so much sleeplessness.

1 hour ago, WSA said:

We interrupt this techno-narcissism to bring you this....

Norse's video about intentionally warmimg Mars and creating a new Garden of Eden is the height of narcissism. They can't fix the mess that's here, so intend to illegally immigrate and change their destination to fit their failed desires.

Some folks never learn...........the Sasquatches, Neanderthals, and Denisovans are looking to be the wiser of the Homo species.

19 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I sleep pretty well now. It's amazing how retirement shed so much sleeplessness.

Norse's video about intentionally warmimg Mars and creating a new Garden of Eden is the height of narcissism. They can't fix the mess that's here, so intend to illegally immigrate and change their destination to fit their failed desires.

Some folks never learn...........the Sasquatches, Neanderthals, and Denisovans are looking to be the wiser of the Homo species.

What do you think we have done for 10’s of thousands of years?

Sheep, goats, cattle, horses and dogs?

Lettuce, potatos, wheat, rice, apples, oranges?

Farm fields where there was once trees? Dams and irrigation where there was once desert.

The human race may very well be arrogant? But we also get stuff done. Terraforming Mars to support life for the benefit of humans is just a continuation of it.

A trip to the supermarket proves it so.

We are going to fail many times in space. Just as we inched along with trial and error on Earth. But progress will be made.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, norseman said:

.........The human race may very well be arrogant? But we also get stuff done. Terraforming Mars to support life for the benefit of humans is just a continuation of it.

A trip to the supermarket proves it so.

We are going to fail many times in space. Just as we inched along with trial and error on Earth. But progress will be made.

You may be right, but I'm sure glad I got to live my miserable life on Earth. In fact, I often feel like I lived at the wrong time for my persona........maybe I would have fit better during a more primitive time, place, or culture. 

The global warming crowd can have Mars. I don't fit their beliefs, desires, or goals, and I look forward to their departure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

BFF Patron

The problem with Terriforming Mars is the reason Mars does not have much atmosphere in the first place.   It is because the iron core cooled  off and the magnetic field collapsed.      That magnetic field, like on earth, protects the atmosphere from being stripped away by the solar wind.     When the Earths core cools off and is no longer molten the same thing will happen here but a lot quicker since we are closer to the sun.    So you need to heat the core to molten or build some sort of giant planet wide magnetic field to have anything that lasts.    Earths moon helps in that is it large for a moon and fairly close.    The tidal forces do some heating to the earths core.  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

We'll just tax all the rich Americans, ship these nasty fossil fuels to Mars, burn it there, and heat the place up. 

"The science is settled".

3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

The problem with Terriforming Mars is the reason Mars does not have much atmosphere in the first place.   It is because the iron core cooled  off and the magnetic field collapsed.      That magnetic field, like on earth, protects the atmosphere from being stripped away by the solar wind.     When the Earths core cools off and is no longer molten the same thing will happen here but a lot quicker since we are closer to the sun.    So you need to heat the core to molten or build some sort of giant planet wide magnetic field to have anything that lasts.    Earths moon helps in that is it large for a moon and fairly close.    The tidal forces do some heating to the earths core.  

They are addressing this as well.

https://youtu.be/jQwT_6bbzeI

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

You may be right, but I'm sure glad I got to live my miserable life on Earth. In fact, I often feel like I lived at the wrong time for my persona........maybe I would have fit better during a more primitive time, place, or culture. 

The global warming crowd can have Mars. I don't fit their beliefs, desires, or goals, and I look forward to their departure.

I hear you. I do. I love my ranch and my animals. And life and family.

1 hour ago, norseman said:

..........I love my ranch and my animals. And life and family.

The most pernicious aspect of the constant parade of "end times" threats (ice age, nuclear winter, global warming, climate change, economic collapse, etc, etc, ad nauseum) is the hopelessness instilled in the vast majority of humanity who are captive to the ruling class who repeatedly threaten us with this BS. As has been discussed elsewhere on these forums, Earth has lots of room. Russia, Canada, Brazil, Alaska, Greenland, Argentina, Australia, Mongolia, all offer immense expanses of pure wilderness. This very forum is dedicated to the premise that a large hominin is living around a human population of @ 15 million in northern California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia, thereby testfying to the remote wildernesses surrounding our urban homes.But people, both multi-generational Americans and immigrants alike, are amassing in the urban and suburban areas. Few want to endure the hardships of living in, say, Yukon Territory. Yet it's lots warmer there than the warmest place on Mars, and you can step out of your house and breathe the sweetest air on Earth without equipment.

I wouldn't even want to visit the moon, let alone live there. My home is as close to Heaven as I've ever felt.

7 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Yes.  We also have plate tectonics. Warm up your Google search finger and find another planet with plate tectonics.  Our plate movement is critical for our carbon-oxygen-hydrogen cycle. Keeps the crust saturated with water too. Geological chaos has put minerals and liquid petroleum items in relatively close proximity to the surface so our extraction techniques are not complicated.

There is water on Mars. Besides the polar caps, researchers found a lake close the southern polar cap. Don't drink the water.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/361/6401/490

The Mars Polar Lander was programed to land in the area close to the southern ice cap.  It crashed, Dec. 1999. Over flight photographic missions have not found wreckage.

I have not read any articles about generating oxygen based upon contemporary methods like electrolysis.  Landers and rovers have done testing on soils and it looks like really boring dirt. No mention of 'valuable' minerals worth extraction.

Mars has more inclination than Earth. Solar arrays have seasonal/dust storm limitations. Landers and rovers with solar panels have slow/sleep modes. The rovers with RTG's ( Radioactive Thermal Generators ) are on the go 24/7 for years. Well, RTG's blow it for the green squads.

And what about the Schumann  frequencies? Humans do poorly when not in close proximity to the Earth's natural frequencies.

So pie in the sky plans are to make an artificial magnetic field and add the extra optional Schumann frequency generator.  I will not hold my breath.

Robots are really good in space and on other planets. Send them.

Be safe out there. Remember, most accidents happen within 249 million miles of home.

This thread has wandered quite a bit......the typical amount.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

..........So pie in the sky plans are to make an artificial magnetic field and add the extra optional Schumann frequency generator.  I will not hold my breath..........

The corrupt high priests of science don't care about cost/benefit. The military requirements will grow into a funding sow with thousands of tits. The only good thing that will come from it will be spin-off technology...........if government lets us use it.

"Be safe out there. Remember, most accidents happen within 249 million miles of home."  That's funny!  And, very true  😁

Fascinating discussion.  I personally think that we will colonize Mars within the next couple of generations.  Whether that works out or not, I have no idea but, the level of success will certainly hinge on jump-starting some sort of a much better and sustainable atmosphere there.  For the record: there is no side of the moon that is always dark, as I'm sure many of us knew already.  👍 

Edited by xspider1

BFF Patron

I cannot see us colonizing Mars within a 100 years.    Mars might be humanities lifeboat in about 4 billion years when our sun goes red giant and swallows up the Earth.    Unless we discover mineral resources that make the trip pay I cannot see colonization .   We will probably land geologists etc and do some exploration.   It will end like the moon.   Nothing much to find.    The only thing from that which would light the fire of further exploration would be fossils etc.   They may very will be there.    My son has been on the JPL team that landed three rovers on the planet and is working on the 2020 Rover.  I have said that if he wants to light the fire of exploration he just needs to put a chicken bone in the rover that bounces out onto the surface when they land.   By the time they figure out it was a hoax they would have committed billions in money for exploration. 

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Haha 1