Port Chatham Documentary

BeansBaxter78

• 2 months later...

I don't know how I missed this for the past couple of months. 

I just rented it via Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it! I have to admit that the plot was standard fare sasquatch expedition, but the real draw for me was the location. Even as an Alaskan boating out of Homer for decades on charters, friends and relatives boats, and my own, I've never even entered Port Chatham. Anchoring, landing, and exploring would be a dream come true. My biggest obstacles doing so were (1) it's native land and I'm not sure if they'd give permission to poke around looking for sasquatches, or what they'd want to bill me to do so, and (2) finding competent partners to (a) tend my anchored boat while I explored, and (b) accompany me while I explored.

That was the perfect vessel to base a sasquatch expedition out of!

I think a great plan would be to drop off in Port Chatham and walk overland to Windy Bay (@ 5 miles overland with an elevation gain of less than 300') setting bait and game cams. Get picked up by your boat there and return to Homer/home. Three weeks to a month later, repeat the trip collecting the cams. If nothing else, you'd probably get pics of some enormous black bears.

The southern drainage you explored looked promising. Setting a spike camp up on the 850' knoll at 51;1205N/151;3946W and glassing for a few evenings/mornings would provide great views both north and south towards Port Chatham and Chugach Bay.

The port and elsewhere on the tip of the peninsula have several runs of salmon including sockeyes, cohos, pinks, chum, and dolly vardens.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/AnadromousPDFs/regulatory_web/SCN/SLDA5.pdf

• Upvote 1

Hunster, I’m going back eventually. I like your idea of leaving some cams out for an extended period of time. 

Its very expensive to get to get out there. I’ll shoot you a PM and maybe we can strategize on some logistics. Probably no trip in 2021 but I’m thinking an extended trip or multiple trips in 2022. 

I'd love to hear from you. My own boat isn't reliable, and re-powering it isn't in the budget for the foreseeable future. 😞

(Although that might be just the ticket to get this woman to finally leave........)

• 9 months later...

I am very interested in this area

I will definitely watch the documentary.

I have read about the Portlock 

Creature.

Thanks Hunster for the heads up

I just finished watching it.

I rather enjoyed it. Beans explained in the end what I was thinking all along.

The area is way too vast to expect much from such a short expedition

12 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I just finished watching it.

I rather enjoyed it. Beans explained in the end what I was thinking all along.

The area is way too vast to expect much from such a short expedition

Thanks! I think at the end of the day(s) my Inreach said we had only covered about 6 miles. That's barely a drop in the bucket considering how much land is there. There are a couple areas I have pinpointed on the map that I am VERY interested in getting to. I'd like to take an extended trip into the area that consists of bushwhacking and just sitting and observing some lakes and watering holes.

There are several things that didn't make it into the film that I think would have been very interesting for other Bigfoot enthusiasts. I was disappointed in the amount of screen time that the tracks we found got and would have like to have had more time spent on them. The director/editor of the doc was not a Bigfoot enthusiast, so he focused more on us and the documenting of the trip, not the things we found. At the end of the day, we were the first to go in there and seriously look for BF, so we will always have that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BeansBaxter78 said:

There are several things that didn't make it into the film that I think would have been very interesting for other Bigfoot enthusiasts. I was disappointed in the amount of screen time that the tracks we found got and would have like to have had more time spent on them. The director/editor of the doc was not a Bigfoot enthusiast, so he focused more on us and the documenting of the trip, not the things we found. At the end of the day, we were the first to go in there and seriously look for BF, so we will always have that.

The director not being a Bigfoot enthusiast explains a lot.  Honestly, Beans, when I watched the film I walked away wondering why a Bigfoot documentary spent so little time on Bigfoot.  

That must have been frustrating.  But, you are right.  You were the first there and that counts for a lot.  

• Upvote 2