HOLDMYBEER

CONVERSATION WITH AL DEATLEY

bipedalist
On 10/31/2019 at 4:19 PM, HOLDMYBEER said:

Seems like he had a no-nonsense philanthropy ethic that pervaded his successful life and will live on.  

Backdoc
19 hours ago, Daniel Perez said:

Keep in mind the P-G film was developed by an "acquaintance" of Roger Pattersons. It is not known whether Al DeAtley knew who this person was. In one of my posts on these forums I have written about this acquaintance.

Could it be the other way around.  That is, once Roger mailed the film off it was Al who decided where it would be developed.  He made the further calls and arrangements.  Otherwise, I wonder if it was up to Roger Roger would do one of two things in my mind 1) use a lab that he used all the time and knew and trusted or 2) went to wherever the Mayo Clinic of developing was (and likely hand carried the film there).   From Roger's stand-point he get Patty on film. Doesn't know what he has since he hasn't seen it.  Is determined no matter what is on the film to stick around and try to get Patty again.  Expects to stay.  Asks for tracking dogs.  Has more film for the camera.  When it was decided to mail off the film, a day or two doesn't change Roger's immediate plans.  In this way it makes me think it was Al who knew where he would get it developed. He might have told Roger, "I got it developed by XYZ but you can't tell anyone where since that favor would get someone fired."

I leave open both possibilities but if Roger was going the usual route there would be no need at all of mailing it to Al by some means and needing a quick turn around.

OldMort
4 hours ago, Backdoc said:

Roger would do one of two things in my mind 1) use a lab that he used all the time and knew and trusted or 2) went to wherever the Mayo Clinic of developing was (and likely hand carried the film there).

In my opinion Roger would have done both of the things that you mentioned.

1) Roger was known to have  used the Kodak Lab in Palo Alto CA on a regular basis for years.

2) The Kodak Lab in Palo Alto CA was the "Mayo Clinic" for processing Kodachrome film during that era.

Edited by OldMort

Backdoc
3 hours ago, OldMort said:

In my opinion Roger would have done both of the things that you mentioned.

1) Roger was known to have  used the Kodak Lab in Palo Alto CA on a regular basis for years.

2) The Kodak Lab in Palo Alto CA was the "Mayo Clinic" for processing Kodachrome film during that era.

I’m projecting what I would do I guess.  Roger and I are very different people on many levels.  I should think what Roger would do.

Backdoc

In years past we had a poster who claimed once Al died there would be a major "face-melting" discovery of THE suit being found.  (This was compared to the Wallace family waiting until after Wallace died to show the poorly carved Wallace feet.)

If we take this seriously for a minute and pretend some replica suit existed, it would not surprise me the Skeptic class would declare it real or THE Patty suit no matter how childish the suit ended up looking.

It would be nice if some serious person was able to investigate this in a respectful way.  The family just lost a loved one.  The last thing they are going to care about is some item in someone's study rumored by some to exist (and if so likely a basic reproduction effort for display).  I could see this death could bring out the goofballs.

In the meantime I guess I will await my face-melting sometime soon. 

SackScratch
On 5/8/2019 at 3:09 PM, Bill said:

Al is on camera and talking about the PGF for a good part of the first 30 minute reel of the theatrical program he and Roger showed around the country. A DVD of that 30 minute film is available, although I don't know who sells or distributes it.  I saw the film actually projected at a Bigfoot symposium hosted by Mike Rugg in Northern CA a few years back, when someone donated that film reel to his museum. I don't recall what Al said but he speaks for considerable time on the film.

Why has that Film never been released on dvd?

On 11/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, Daniel Perez said:

Keep in mind the P-G film was developed by an "acquaintance" of Roger Pattersons. It is not known whether Al DeAtley knew who this person was. In one of my posts on these forums I have written about this acquaintance.

There's lots of conflicting stories on who mail it to be developed and where it was mailed to!  Take for example a dvd specifically made to debunk the PG Film has 3 conflicting stories on who mailed it and where it was developed!  I've heard it was developed in Palo alto, California, Seattle, Washington, Eureka, California, Yakima, Washington, etc...  What was Roger & Bob's official story??

SackScratch

btw, it was the Bigfoot De-Bunkers that had the conflicting stories!

Bill

The first 30 minute segment of the theatrical reel was converted to a DVD and was released commercially. Tom Yamarone had a copy and loaned it to me. It had the usual professional image artwork printed on the disk top. But I don't know the extent of the distribution or what company handled the distribution.

SweatyYeti
16 hours ago, Backdoc said:

In years past we had a poster who claimed once Al died there would be a major "face-melting" discovery of THE suit being found.  (This was compared to the Wallace family waiting until after Wallace died to show the poorly carved Wallace feet.)

If we take this seriously for a minute and pretend some replica suit existed, it would not surprise me the Skeptic class would declare it real or THE Patty suit no matter how childish the suit ended up looking.

It would be nice if some serious person was able to investigate this in a respectful way.  The family just lost a loved one.  The last thing they are going to care about is some item in someone's study rumored by some to exist (and if so likely a basic reproduction effort for display).  I could see this death could bring out the goofballs.

In the meantime I guess I will await my face-melting sometime soon. 

The most significant consequence of Al's passing....(potentially, if there never had been a "suit on display in Al's private, collectibles room")…..is that kitakaze now has an "out", for that claim of his.

If someone were ever to gain access to such a room....and it turns out there is no "suit on display".....then kit could simply claim that some family member took possession of it, after Al's passing.

This doesn't mean that kit's "Patty suit" claim can never be proven to be either true, or false. It just means that a simple look into a 'private/collectibles room', in Al's mansion...with no suit being there.....won't mean much of anything, at this point.  

• Upvote 1

ThinkAboutPools

Do you really think this old, rich, well-educated philantropist kept an old, hairy bigfoot suit in any collectibles room? I imagine the word "Bigfoot" was anathema to him and he was sorry to ever get involved with the film. I also think, to protect his sister (Roger's wife, correct?), he'd want to keep any suit a secret and probably would've had it destroyed many years ago. I would defecate in my pants if any suit ever appears and not because I necessarily think the film is of a real creature but find it hard to believe anyone would have held onto the suit for this long without coming forward. I think it's much more probable any suit would have been destroyed to protect Roger's wife and any potential income she may aquire from the film and it's legacy.

• Upvote 1

Bill

Minor correction:  Al's wife was Roger's sister, Iva. Roger's wife, Patricia, had no relationship to Al.

As for why he might keep the suit in a display case in his private office, if it was a promotional construction to help when Al and Roger four-walled the theatrical film to audiences in 1968-1969, that program earned Al a lot of money that helped him build his successful empire. (When you "four-wall" a film, you literally rent the theater and you are responsible for 100% of promotion, publicity, lobby displays, advertising, everything. But you also collect 100% of the revenues from ticket sales at the box office). So Al might reasonably have had the suit made for someone to wear for promotional purposes. Keeping it would be a momento of his experience distributing and promoting the film, which he never disavowed.

There are darker reasons suspected (but not verified) for why he'd keep the suit, but we may never know the truth of those suspected concerns. So trying to conclude there was or was not a suit in his office on display, generally leads to a lot of speculation about Al himself, and possible secrets he chose to keep from the society he sought approvals from later in his life. Sadly, we may never get to the bottom of those speculative issues.

I have read somewhere that when Al passed on, his mansion would be taken over by a local area Historical society or the state as a heritage site, and if we can verify that transition of ownership and management has been done, it might be possible to make a respectful inquiry to the people managing the estate to see if they can verify the presence of any kind of ape suit display in Al's private office.

• Upvote 2

OkieFoot

When Al passed away, (RIP, Al), if his estate is/was probated, everything he owned would be listed in an inventory of his estate. Sometimes they become public record. If there was some type of fur suit, I think it would very likely be listed as a separate item since it would be something unique and really couldn't be lumped in with general items. 

ThinkAboutPools
19 hours ago, Bill said:

Minor correction:  Al's wife was Roger's sister, Iva. Roger's wife, Patricia, had no relationship to Al.

As for why he might keep the suit in a display case in his private office, if it was a promotional construction to help when Al and Roger four-walled the theatrical film to audiences in 1968-1969, that program earned Al a lot of money that helped him build his successful empire. (When you "four-wall" a film, you literally rent the theater and you are responsible for 100% of promotion, publicity, lobby displays, advertising, everything. But you also collect 100% of the revenues from ticket sales at the box office). So Al might reasonably have had the suit made for someone to wear for promotional purposes. Keeping it would be a momento of his experience distributing and promoting the film, which he never disavowed.

There are darker reasons suspected (but not verified) for why he'd keep the suit, but we may never know the truth of those suspected concerns. So trying to conclude there was or was not a suit in his office on display, generally leads to a lot of speculation about Al himself, and possible secrets he chose to keep from the society he sought approvals from later in his life. Sadly, we may never get to the bottom of those speculative issues.

I have read somewhere that when Al passed on, his mansion would be taken over by a local area Historical society or the state as a heritage site, and if we can verify that transition of ownership and management has been done, it might be possible to make a respectful inquiry to the people managing the estate to see if they can verify the presence of any kind of ape suit display in Al's private office.

Thanks for the response!

I was under the impression DeAtley was wealthy way before the PGF and helped Roger out because of the family ties. I didn't realize the PGF generated a lot of money soon after it was released. I always thought Roger missed out on the windfall of Bigfoot money and never saw anything close to what the bigfoot industry rakes in now.

And I assumed people were talking about DeAtley displaying the "original" costume in his home, not one made for any promotion. What would be the signifigance in Bigfoot lore of DeAtley keeping a promotion costume in his collection? It wouldn't look anything like the "original" suit because then people would just say, "I knew it- it was a costume!" They would be crazy to make a duplicate suit for promotion purposes for that reason alone. Have you ever spoken to anyone that went to any of these screenings? Was there ever any talk of someone wearing a costume? 

SweatyYeti
1 hour ago, ThinkAboutPools said:

And I assumed people were talking about DeAtley displaying the "original" costume in his home, not one made for any promotion. What would be the signifigance in Bigfoot lore of DeAtley keeping a promotion costume in his collection? It wouldn't look anything like the "original" suit because then people would just say, "I knew it- it was a costume!" They would be crazy to make a duplicate suit for promotion purposes for that reason alone.

Very good point, TAP.  :) 

A 'Promotion' Bigfoot suit would have been, in all likelihood, simply an 'off the shelf' suit....(not something specially designed to closely resemble the subject seen in the film.

That being the case....the problem for the "Suit on display in DeAtley's home" claim....(originally made by 'BrentD')…..is this statement of Brent's, from several years ago...

So when I first walked into the room my heart skipped a beat, incased in glass was a 7-8 ft costume of Patty, right down to the breasts. It was creepy because it looked sooo real.

BrentD claimed that the "suit" looked just like the subject of the PGF. But that scenario doesn't make any sense....based on the reasoning you proposed.

So, if Brent was lying about the appearance of the alleged "suit".....then his claim would most likely be false, in it's entirety

Additionally....several months ago, a new member of the forum...."Bigfoot Canon"....claimed to be the person who was "BrentD"...and renounced his 'Patty suit' story...saying that it was a complete fabrication.

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Upvote 1

Bill

The idea of using a person in a costume to greet an audience or visitors is well established in the theme park world. I worked at Universal Studios Tours in 1969 doing the makeup artist show, and we had several people as "strollers" dressed as Frankenstein, Dracula, and such. They'd wander around the tour center and greet visitors and let their pictures be taken with the characters. 

Big budget movies never do such because they release a film to hundreds or even thousands of screens simultaneously, so they can't do any kind of live stroller character at theaters. But Roger and Al did one theater at a time, and Roger made a personal appearance talking about his footage. So with only one theater at a time, having a guy stroll the lobby in a bigfoot costume made to look something like Patty, would have been a smart promotional gimmick.

People who want to believe the film is a hoax want to believe the suit on display is "the original" (used for a hoax) but as nobody with proper skills has analyzed it yet (assuming it exists),  there's no verification of how closely it might resemble Patty. If it exists, how close a resemblance it might be to Patty is highly debatable.

Al's road paving asphalt business was not tremendously successful in those years, so he wasn't "filthy rich" at this time. So the theater revenues of showing the film were a definite bonus for his cash flow.

I've begun making inquiries to see if the mansion is indeed going to become a state historical property, and if it is, I'll inquire to the curators if they can disclose any info on Al's office content and decoration.

• Upvote 3