Questions about black bear scat

NorthWind

Maybe it was a fox, then.

But if I had to put money on fox or not, I would put it on not.

Red Fox scream

Definitely was not this sound. 

I have seen lots of bear scat. Some piles are huge. I found on pile with a baby bear whole paw and lots of little claws and part of a jaw. Some that I seen in the spring resembled cow pies. 

Also, coyote scat can and will, at times, contain berries and grass. Research that I have done, revealed that at times a coyotes's diet can be up to 60% vegetation. I have had people show me the "bear scat" the found, only to turn out to be coyote with berries in it. Coyote is much smaller than bear, both in size and volume.

Thanks, Doug.

Looks like the general consensus is bear, then, even with nothing else but grass in the droppings. 

The "scream" I recorded did record, but it is pretty faint, and I can only hear it with headphones. I will play with Audacity to see if I can boost the gain on it a little. Spooky sound.

^^^^ Yeah, that looks like a bear eating fresh spring greens that may not have much in the way of nutrients yet.    May or may not be fact, but I read somewhere that bears eat something difficult to digest as they head down for their winter nap to keep their last meal inside to digest slowly, then this fresh green stuff is to push that out so they can begin digesting normally.    Seems reasonable, correct or not.    When I see that, I just know there's a hungry bear around and I'm a little more cautious than normal.

MIB

• gigantor featured this topic
3 hours ago, norseman said:

Just found this on ranch. Assuming black bear.

2B66AADA-1DD3-4DAE-9001-714C6E2D3F63.jpeg

Thanks, Norseman, and MIB. That's the general consensus. we must have counted 20 piles. Always on edge in the woods. 

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I tell folks who ask me what does black bear scat look like? Charcoal briquettes is what I see out there, black as can be too.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Shooter. 

That's mostly what I have seen, as well. Kingsford with berries. But not those first piles we found. Looked almost like fresh horse droppings, green. And far bigger than any pile o'bear stuff I have found before. But when you find that, with footprint like indentations one on each side, then find strange bone piles, it makes one wonder. Trying to arrange an overnighter up there before summer ends.