ShadowBorn

Has this been asked about the PGF before

SweatyYeti
Posted (edited)

Twist wrote:

Is that tooth from Bigfoot or Bigmouth! Lol. 

It's not from 'Big Bob'... :lol: ...

Bobn-Phil1.jpg

Edited by SweatyYeti

Backdoc

I’ve only watched a few shows talking DNA.  It seems at a glance it comes down to a near lab-like level of collection would be required in an environment which is not a clean lab- the Wild outdoors.  Otherwise it’s haywire on the DNA collection source.  That being said, I was just imagining a scenario at bluff creek.  If Roger and Bob are to be believed, they came across Patty.  She made fresh tracks.  They nearly immediately cast tracks which couldn’t be any fresher, with plaster.  The plaster hardened. <~~~~~ perhaps a long shot chance Patty DNA was in the plaster where no one touched or could touch it regardless of handling over the years?

I’m just pondering this.  I don’t give it much of a chance.  Just asking.

SWWASAS

Unless there was some spot discoloration indicating blood or tissue on the surface of the casting the entire cast would have to be ground up and subjected to DNA testing.     Not likely the owner of the cast (anyone know who that is?) would want the cast destroyed in the unlikely chance it harbored DNA.    Of course the only likely DNA found would be whoever cast it.   They made no precautions about contamination in 1967.   

hiflier

The easiest thing to do would be to take current samples at Bluff Creek to see if anything has been walking around in there. Sampling the feeder brooks that flow into Bluff creek would be good while there also. As long as samples are taken from upstream the person taking the samples won't contaminate the samples. Turn on a battery powered vacuum pump and stick a sterile receptacle with a filter inside into the water source. Suck about a liter of water through the filter and you're done. A sealed receptacle with a filter inside runs around $15. It's probably the best way to keep anything the filter collects untouched except by whatever has been pulled through it by the vacuum pump.

The University of California system has programs that will train, supply materials and equipment, pay for the shipping and run the testing all for zero cost to a citizen scientist outside of time and gas.

SWWASAS
Posted (edited)

Is Bluff Creek known to be active currently?    Our data base people would know that.   If no longer an active area it would be a waste of time and money.   

Edited by SWWASAS

hiflier

Thanks for stating the obvious. What you said applies to ANY location, SWWASAS, whether it be a place in the PacNW or Maryland. I don't know why you would think I was saying to blindly go there with no data. I wouldn't researching an area for current reports be a given and so not need mentioning?   Researchers go into areas because of reports, right? So why would anyone take DNA samples from a place that has none? I think you can cut me a bit of slack here without even trying. Especially since most know sampling an area with no current reports would indeed be a waste of time and money..  

SWWASAS

I meant no insult but your post did not read like a hypothetical.   You were very definite about Bluff Creek without mention of conditional aspects like current activity, even mentioning the state of California related to testing.        I have no idea if Bluff Creek is currently active but bigfooters have been making the pilgrimage there for decades.   It is way off the beaten track to get to.    I would hate to see someone take your posting on face value, assuming you know about activity,   and spend a lot of money getting there and testing an inactive area.   That sort of thing can always happen here.  

hiflier
Posted (edited)

My apologies, SWWASAS, you are correct and you explained it well. I should never skip a step assuming someone would fill in the blank. Methodologies may be obvious to us but a novice could be led to innocently get the cart way ahead of the horse. So to everyone, a word of advice: Always check for data and reports that are as current as possible before doing any boots-on-the-ground research into an area. Also, know where you are at all times to reduce the risk of getting lost or trespassing on private property and let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back.. Pack what you think you'll need and then add more for an unintended extra day or two. Better to do that than get caught short of food and dry clothing. Be safe. 

Edited by hiflier