Has this been asked about the PGF before

SweatyYeti

Twist wrote:

Is that tooth from Bigfoot or Bigmouth! Lol. 

It's not from 'Big Bob'... :lol: ...

Bobn-Phil1.jpg

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • gigantor featured this topic
Backdoc
BFF Donor

I’ve only watched a few shows talking DNA.  It seems at a glance it comes down to a near lab-like level of collection would be required in an environment which is not a clean lab- the Wild outdoors.  Otherwise it’s haywire on the DNA collection source.  That being said, I was just imagining a scenario at bluff creek.  If Roger and Bob are to be believed, they came across Patty.  She made fresh tracks.  They nearly immediately cast tracks which couldn’t be any fresher, with plaster.  The plaster hardened. <~~~~~ perhaps a long shot chance Patty DNA was in the plaster where no one touched or could touch it regardless of handling over the years?

I’m just pondering this.  I don’t give it much of a chance.  Just asking.

SWWASAS
BFF Donor

Unless there was some spot discoloration indicating blood or tissue on the surface of the casting the entire cast would have to be ground up and subjected to DNA testing.     Not likely the owner of the cast (anyone know who that is?) would want the cast destroyed in the unlikely chance it harbored DNA.    Of course the only likely DNA found would be whoever cast it.   They made no precautions about contamination in 1967.   

hiflier
BFF Donor

The easiest thing to do would be to take current samples at Bluff Creek to see if anything has been walking around in there. Sampling the feeder brooks that flow into Bluff creek would be good while there also. As long as samples are taken from upstream the person taking the samples won't contaminate the samples. Turn on a battery powered vacuum pump and stick a sterile receptacle with a filter inside into the water source. Suck about a liter of water through the filter and you're done. A sealed receptacle with a filter inside runs around $15. It's probably the best way to keep anything the filter collects untouched except by whatever has been pulled through it by the vacuum pump.

The University of California system has programs that will train, supply materials and equipment, pay for the shipping and run the testing all for zero cost to a citizen scientist outside of time and gas.

SWWASAS
BFF Donor

Is Bluff Creek known to be active currently?    Our data base people would know that.   If no longer an active area it would be a waste of time and money.   

Edited by SWWASAS
hiflier
BFF Donor

Thanks for stating the obvious. What you said applies to ANY location, SWWASAS, whether it be a place in the PacNW or Maryland. I don't know why you would think I was saying to blindly go there with no data. I wouldn't researching an area for current reports be a given and so not need mentioning?   Researchers go into areas because of reports, right? So why would anyone take DNA samples from a place that has none? I think you can cut me a bit of slack here without even trying. Especially since most know sampling an area with no current reports would indeed be a waste of time and money..  

SWWASAS
BFF Donor

I meant no insult but your post did not read like a hypothetical.   You were very definite about Bluff Creek without mention of conditional aspects like current activity, even mentioning the state of California related to testing.        I have no idea if Bluff Creek is currently active but bigfooters have been making the pilgrimage there for decades.   It is way off the beaten track to get to.    I would hate to see someone take your posting on face value, assuming you know about activity,   and spend a lot of money getting there and testing an inactive area.   That sort of thing can always happen here.  

hiflier
BFF Donor

My apologies, SWWASAS, you are correct and you explained it well. I should never skip a step assuming someone would fill in the blank. Methodologies may be obvious to us but a novice could be led to innocently get the cart way ahead of the horse. So to everyone, a word of advice: Always check for data and reports that are as current as possible before doing any boots-on-the-ground research into an area. Also, know where you are at all times to reduce the risk of getting lost or trespassing on private property and let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back.. Pack what you think you'll need and then add more for an unintended extra day or two. Better to do that than get caught short of food and dry clothing. Be safe. 

Edited by hiflier
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
OldMort

A few questions for those of you who either own or have had experience filming with a K-100 camera such as was used in the filming of the PGF:

How often does the spring drive mechanism need to be wound in order to assure the correct filming speed?

In other words, how long can the camera run at optimum speed before it slows and needs to be rewound?

Does the camera need to be wound prior to each use after sitting idle? Does it lose tension over time (minutes, hours, days) if unused?   

Edited by OldMort
Bill

Mort:

The spring is usually wound up to a tension of 40. Once done, it can run for 100 seconds ( 1 minute and 40 seconds) on that single wind. It will maintain a constant frame rate throughout, Lesser spring tension does not cause the frame rate to slow.

it doesn't generally lose tension if left idle for any amount of time. In it's time, it was the finest spring drive camera system ever made, with the longest running time on one wind. Most 16mm cameras ran only about 30 seconds on a full wind.

You can wind it up after every shot, or you can shoot shot after shot until you've shot about 1 and 1/2 minutes of footage before you wind it up again. It works fine both ways.

If it's got enough spring tension to run, it will run at the speed you set it for. The amount of tension determines how long it will run, not how fast it's fps is. It will run at the fps you set.

Bill

• Upvote 1
OldMort

Thanks for the information , Bill. 

I was reading an old thread and the topic came up but it wasn't fully addressed in detail.

I appreciate you clearing that up for me.

I'm guessing that it only takes a few seconds or so to do the actual winding...

Bill

Mort:

Yes, the wind up only takes a few seconds, and the winding handle arm is very efficient (as compared to some windup handles that are small, and really make your hand struggle to wind the camera).

Bill

Catmandoo
BFF Donor

Here is a refresher from April, 2019.  The K-100 was a solid build.  Very heavy.  Poor viewfinder aspect for 'run and gun' filming. Roger did great.

Backdoc,  K-100 images

On 4/11/2019 at 7:38 PM, Daniel Perez said:

Daniel Perez, you know what the experience is to be in the Bluff Creek area and look through the viewfinder.

I put a nickel next to the shutter release for scale. This is the off position.

IMG_3269.JPG

The lever is in the locked down,  continuous shooting mode.

IMG_3270.JPG

The nickel is below the speed control dial, fps, 

IMG_3271.JPG

This is the human side of the viewfinder. There is a 25mm viewfinder lens at the Patty end. My camera optics don't pick up the aiming targets and framing silhouette.

IMG_3272.JPG

Edited April 11, 2019 by Catmandoo
add more text
  •  
OldMort
11 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Roger did great.

Thanks for the information, Catmandoo.

Yes, its remarkable that Patterson was able to capture as much as he did while chasing a moving target.

^^^^ That seemingly gives some context to comments to the effect that they weren't sure what they got, if anything, until they saw the developed film.

MIB