Stick Structures are not evidence

starchunk

BFF Patron

Putting numbers to my argument about the forces required to drive a tree into the ground.        From an engineering example I found, a 12 inch pile being driven into typical ground,   by a 2200 lb ram from a pile driver dropping 6.5 feet,   requires 5 blows per inch.     That means every stroke of the pile driver drives the pile .2 inch.      A BF lifting the tree and dropping it using the weight of the tree would get .2 inches of penetration with each drop.    Since the BF likely weighs much less than the tree,   the tree would exert more force when dropped that distance,   than a 900 lb BF driving it.       At some point extracting the tree from the hole would exceed the BF ability to lift it out for the succeeding drop.     The numbers simply do not support a BF being capable of driving a large tree into the ground unless digging or some sort of drilling action is involved.  

• Haha 1

Nah...the examples I have seen are lots smaller than that photo.  You don’t have to pile drive a tree. Every punky tree comes with its own posthole. Plenty of voids in any mature forest as nurse trees decay, bolder fields, lava tubes...balance it and inertia does the rest. 

So in theory, would you expect to find some attempted puncture marks around said tree inserted upside down?    I don’t suppose BF has the ability to identify these “voids” at will and hit them every time on the first attempt.  

I find these here upside down trees fascinating as it’s not the first time I’ve seen them in pictures.  Have never experienced one in nature.   I would give the odds of an upside down tree being BF related less likely odds than tree structures, imo.   

11 hours ago, RedHawk454 said:

That photo is likely photoshopped 

Fake.

Monochrome image, really bad optical distortion. The central tree has a larger diameter than the surrounding trees. Are those roots or branches at the top? I often  find weird natural tree deformations. Did any one else notice in this black and white image that all parts of the tree are the same color/shade?  I am around trees where the phloem / cambium are different colors than the bark. If the phloem is silver, then the bark has fallen off.

BFF Patron

Like with most of the strange stuff the upside down tree in my estimation of probabilities is most likely human related.    Just separating the dirt from the roots of a larger tree takes all day with tools.    And the only way to get it into the ground without pile drivers is put it in a hole.   The mental image some have of a BF lifting and slamming a large tree deep into the ground belongs on a King Kong movie not reality because the physics of doing that just does not work.    This sort of monkey business is more often seen in human pranks than nature.     Somehow I think BF has better things to do with their time.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Twist said:

Like building stick structures!  🤣

Maybe its the refuse pile after eating leaves?

Kinda like half eaten drum sticks and crushed beer cans after a frat party?

😉

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2019 at 3:27 PM, SWWASAS said:

.........From an engineering example I found, a 12 inch pile being driven into typical ground,   by a 2200 lb ram from a pile driver dropping 6.5 feet,   requires 5 blows per inch.     That means every stroke of the pile driver drives the pile .2 inch.      A BF lifting the tree and dropping it using the weight of the tree would get .2 inches of penetration with each drop.    Since the BF likely weighs much less than the tree,   the tree would exert more force when dropped that distance,   than a 900 lb BF driving it.       At some point extracting the tree from the hole would exceed the BF ability to lift it out for the succeeding drop.     The numbers simply do not support a BF being capable of driving a large tree into the ground unless digging or some sort of drilling action is involved.  

lol.......I love engineers, especially military engineers. These are minds of science seasoned with top quality beer or whiskey, and capable of destroying anything, then rebuilding something better with misappropriated funding. 

Were you a West Pointer?

BFF Patron

They would be offended that you thought I might be a West Pointer.   Not an engineer but I should have been one based on my interests.   Army and Marines do not consider I was even in the service since it was the Air Force.  

BFF Patron

Funny!    We used to take training flights into Navy bases.        I got a kick out of the Visiting Officers Quarters there.         The rooms all had pipes and heating ducts running through them making it look more like a ship than something equivalent to a motel.    I bet it even cost more to make something like that than a normal motel room.