Stick Structures are not evidence

starchunk

99.9% of all Stick Structures are deadfall or human manipulation or snow load and equally explainable.

• Upvote 2

You are correct, I have yet to see a single believable report of someone watching a sasquatch build a structure or even a case of prints around a newly discovered structure.    The closest thing to this I have come across is finding a few instances where something had driven some sticks ( like 8 or 9 longer sticks all within a space of 2 feet or so )  into the ground on several occasions ( not to be confused with something falling and getting stuck in the ground from a tree ).   This was certainly not a trappers stake, a blind or fort building.   Strange for sure but still not enough to say it was a sasquatch.

Nathan - Are you saying that BFs do not bend over and pin small trees as a directional signal?  I have also heard a few reports of cases where pretty good sized trees are stuck inverted in to the ground as kind of a boundry marker.  Any thoughts on this behavior?

I ask because I kind of go both ways on this issue.  While I agree that 99.999999% of stick structures are not BF related.  I do wonder about the .00001%.  In theory I could see where BFs would need some form of signs and boundry markers and if so sticks would be the most likely method.  I could also see them using stick figures as a kind of art form as well.

I found some stuff I found interesting in the past. 10-12 Alpine fir twisted off maybe 7 ft up.

Most of it is just natural occurrence or known animals.

I just recently discovered that Moose browse alpine fir. I thought they liked deciduous trees and brush. They like burns and clear cuts. And I have found evidence of them foraging on alder in winter before. Woodland Caribou were definitely on the radar as a culprit as they stay high in winter and eat lichen in fir trees. But they were rare and now officially declared extinct in the lower 48.

18 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

Nathan - Are you saying that BFs do not bend over and pin small trees as a directional signal?  I have also heard a few reports of cases where pretty good sized trees are stuck inverted in to the ground as kind of a boundry marker.  Any thoughts on this behavior?

I ask because I kind of go both ways on this issue.  While I agree that 99.999999% of stick structures are not BF related.  I do wonder about the .00001%.  In theory I could see where BFs would need some form of signs and boundry markers and if so sticks would be the most likely method.  I could also see them using stick figures as a kind of art form as well.

I certainly think they are intelligent enough to use some kind of marking as a way of communication but the evidence that sasquatch actively do so is lacking in my opinion, I have yet to see a tree bend or pinning that I could not have been caused by a bear weighing down a tree to the ground and upon release getting caught under dead fall or another fallen tree.    I have come across bear { and elk ) created pins, snow load pins and freak weather created " structures " on young vine maple, hemlock and even stout cedar.    I have come across strange damage done to trees and young brush that I believe it was possible a sasquatch was responsible but was of no apparent direct pattern or intended significance.   I have tried this method of following tree pins in an area and it does not seem to lead anywhere or provide any additional suggestive sign of sasquatch.

As far as stick signs or little arrangements go, I have watched crows do some amazing things.    Crows  and squirrels do collect and assemble materials and objects on stumps and rocks, I have seen this first hand, they will collect shiny objects or small sticks and put them in a pile or arrangement. The squirrels do this with sticks to add materiel to the bottom of their leaf ball nests in large hemlock or oaks, I don't know why crows do this but I think it may have something to do with some degree of tool use ( they are very intelligent and do not get enough credit ). Back in the spring of 2011 I watched a crow sit on a wet rotting log using a small stout stick to pry away at the rotten fleshy wood pulp to expose small grubs or something, it was truly amazing to watch. 

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  I don't put any stock in the stick arrangements or artful signs being left by sasquatch, as the folks who seem to call attention to this are many times fringe and not well mentally, these folks will buy into anything if it provides them any kind of confirmation of sasquatch in their backyard.  I have never found such a sign or composition in relation to tracks or an experience at a location. 

That being said, Sasquatch do have hands, I am sure youngsters get bored and mess around with whatever " toys " they can find. 

• Upvote 1

I put little to no stock in stock structures.  As Nathan states, there may be occurrences of a Sasquatch manipulating trees but until more evidence proves otherwise I assume it’s nothing more than boredom or some other mundane reason.  

I suppose I'm a stickler for semantics.    If I offer you a bubblegum wrapper as evidence of bigfoot, it is **evidence**.   It may not support the case, but it has still been presented as evidence so it IS evidence.   Something being evidence has nothing to do with whether it is accepted, the only thing that matters is that it was offered.   What follows (acceptance or rejection) is based on analysis of the item of evidence offered.

Stick structures ... in 5-1/2 decades in the woods, I've never seen one, not even in places where I've encountered bigfoot.   I've seen two tree twists which I believe were caused by deep snow with an ice layer at the top creating a fulcrum about 5-1/2 feet above ground, then a snow mass sliding down that ice broke the trunk at the point where the ice fulcrum focused the force.   And, of course, an epic amount of elk tree breaks, but the antler gouges through the bark are a dead giveaway.

The single weird thing that makes me wonder was this.   I've mentioned the ridge where the BF counted coup on me by sneaking up on me and only gave himself away by farting at an inappropriate moment.   It's one of my favorite, most successful places to kill BIG blacktail bucks.    Starting maybe 200 yards further down that ridge, and going for probably a half mile, one day the evergreen huckleberry bows were woven ... nonstop line down the top of the ridge.   Came back 1-2 days later and there was no weaving/braiding, none.   Weirdest thing I ever saw.   There was no evidence I could find for what caused it and no evidence later it'd ever happened.   A puzzle.

MIB

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Were you able to look around the bases of the trees?  See any disturbances in the ground? Seems whatever braided those bows had to disturb the ground.  

^^^^ It was mid fall and the ground was hard, dry from 6 months without significant rain, and covered with 4-6 inches of crunchy leaves, mostly oak, and the leaves had been pawed by deer and bear searching for acorns so there were trails through them marking passage of critters but there wasn't anything identifiable.  

MIB

2 hours ago, MIB said:

I've mentioned the ridge where the BF counted coup on me by sneaking up on me and only gave himself away by farting at an inappropriate moment.

Since this was not 'mindspeak', was it 'toothless one speak'?  Maybe it was an appropriate moment for the Sasquatch. No projectile throwing (solid object ), no growling ( oral ) or whistling,  no stomping. Simple olfactory signaling.

^^^^^^^ A clear case of R.C. B.,  Reverse Call Blasting.  The Sasquatch caused eye to eye contact via a covert  auditory technique. Smart sasquatch----- no voice print possible.

BFF Patron

And you thought infrasound caused nystagmus, hahahaha.   I couldn't help the "he who smelt it dealt it mantra". 

Maybe the little stick structures I have found and photographed then are put there just to see who the observant humans are vs. the clodhoppers?!

Then again, maybe I'm mentally ill......   geesh!

Oh btw, stick structures as a topic needs to be defined, not a broad brush stroke descriptor 

Edited by bipedalist

3 hours ago, bipedalist said:

And you thought infrasound caused nystagmus, hahahaha.   I couldn't help the "he who smelt it dealt it mantra". 

Maybe the little stick structures I have found and photographed then are put there just to see who the observant humans are vs. the clodhoppers?!

Then again, maybe I'm mentally ill......   geesh!

Oh btw, stick structures as a topic needs to be defined, not a broad brush stroke descriptor 

This is what folks are so impressed with.   

image.png

Edited by NathanFooter
doubled image