No luck, yet again ...

cmknight

Went to a new area this past weekend. Unfortunately, the spot I wanted was already taken by other campers, so I had to choose a location too near a river with noisy rapids for my tastes. Thought I heard two knocks last night, but they were drowned out by the sounds of the river. Guess I'm just going to have to take some time off during the week, to ensure as few other people as possible around.

Even though I got zero activity, it was still a nice quiet trip away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

IMGP4292.JPG

IMGP4297.JPG

IMGP4300.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cmknight said:

.........Even though I got zero activity, it was still a nice quiet trip away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Then you had better than luck. Looks like a darned nice weekend to me.

• Thanks 1

A day in the woods beats a day in the hustle and bustle of a city. Are there any jeep trails in that area your vehicle could go off-road that others may not be able to access without clearance? I'd take advantage of your vehicle to the extent possible.

• gigantor featured this topic

Forest Service Roads and ATV trails. That's about it. Having said that however ... some of those FSR's sure can FEEL like Jeep trails. LOL

What general area were you in, CM? N or S of the Fraser? We've done a few outings on the N side this spring, between Mission and Agissiz, with 1 cougar at camp, and 1 black bear encounter on the road in, but no BF evidence. Thomas had a tour client claim a sighting on the east side of Harrison Lake, but he was unable to confirm it himself.

I like your truck bed tent, is that a new addition? I don't recall seeing it the last time I visited one of your camps.

Edited by BC witness

Thanks for sharing . I disagree with you. That appears to be a very successful outing .

On 5/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, BC witness said:

What general area were you in, CM? N or S of the Fraser? We've done a few outings on the N side this spring, between Mission and Agissiz, with 1 cougar at camp, and 1 black bear encounter on the road in, but no BF evidence. Thomas had a tour client claim a sighting on the east side of Harrison Lake, but he was unable to confirm it himself.

I like your truck bed tent, is that a new addition? I don't recall seeing it the last time I visited one of your camps.

I was based at the only open unattended campsite I could find, LOL, at the base of the bridge that goes over the Foley Creek, about halfway between Foley Lake and Chipmunk Peninsula. I'm going to have to go back later, when there aren't as many weekend campers around, and get a spot away from the river.

Yes, the Napier truck tent is a new addition. Easy to setup, but it does take two people if you set it up on the ground first then lift it into the truck bed. It's fully enclosed, as well. Got it from Walmart for $186 CDN. Napier sells them online for something like $350. They also have SUV tents that allow you to sleep in your SUV, with the back gate fully open.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:23 PM, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thanks for sharing . I disagree with you. That appears to be a very successful outing .

It was a fairly quiet (noise-wise) weekend. Very peaceful. The cops came by once, on their ATV's, to check for underage drinkers, but they saw my Veteran's plates on the truck, and told us to have a great weekend, and left. We did see, about 1/2 an hour later, a group of about 30 teenagers walking back down the road. Read into that whatever you want LOL, but personally, I think the boys in blue made them walk back to the main road. Quite a few were staggering LOL.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, BC witness said:

If you and Thomas are going to be at the picnic on August 3rd, I'll fill you in on what I've learned about that particular area. It might raise your eyebrows just a bit ...

We'll definitely be there, haven't missed one since I hooked up with the local researchers, 5 or 6 years ago.

I've been thinking about sleeping in the back of the Outlander, it's long enough with the rear seats down, but that leaves less room to carry gear. I'm considering locating an old beater tent trailer for bush duty, as setting up my tent is tough for me since my surgery.

28 minutes ago, BC witness said:

We'll definitely be there, haven't missed one since I hooked up with the local researchers, 5 or 6 years ago.

I've been thinking about sleeping in the back of the Outlander, it's long enough with the rear seats down, but that leaves less room to carry gear. I'm considering locating an old beater tent trailer for bush duty, as setting up my tent is tough for me since my surgery.

I hope you get to feeling better bud!

4 hours ago, BC witness said:

Napier Sport SUV

Backroadz SUV tent

I came back 2 weeks ago from a nice little trip in which I slept in the back of my Tahoe for a week.   Made for a nice bed compared to the ground!  It’s just long enough with seats down for me at 6’2”.   I suspend a large tarp in the air and put a tent under that to store my gear in and keep the truck empty for sleeping.  Works out great.  

Forgot to add, no luck in the search for BF or mushrooms for that matter but I did wake up each day to the view of a beautiful little inland lake.  

Edited by Twist
  • Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic