Most powerful lever action cartridge

norseman

On 5/24/2019 at 11:12 AM, RedHawk454 said:

I don't care what anyone says about how tough the Sasquatches are, but a direct shot hitting the apes center mass would drop it

Agreed. They would certainly be no more difficult to kill than a large brown bear or a bull moose in rut. A mature bull bison in rut is the toughest native animal to kill on the continent. The minimum cartridge needed to legally hunt one in Alaska is a 30-06.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Agreed. They would certainly be no more difficult to kill than a large brown bear or a bull moose in rut. A mature bull bison in rut is the toughest native animal to kill on the continent. The minimum cartridge needed to legally hunt one in Alaska is a 30-06.

Alaska has Bison?

I hunt with 30-06 even in the hills of WV. Never understood hunting with anything smaller. Note, my first deer rifle was a 30-30 lever action. Fun gun to shoot. I want to have a Smith take off the scope though. It's a much better up close/brush gun without the scope.

BFF Patron

Looks like they do.    http://www.alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/bison-plains   Interesting that the present ones are much smaller than they used to be.  

Edited by SWWASAS

14 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Alaska has Bison?........

Plains bison were imported back before statehood and three different herds established on federal lands. All three are huntable by drawing permit. 

Private landowners, most notably Alaska native corporations, also have herds on remote islands in the Aleutians. These are also huntable by buying permission from the corporation.

Ranches on Kodiak Island in the 1930's-1970's experimented with bison as a way to reduce livestock loss to the bears. Many bison simply wandered away and became feral (ditto cattle and horses). Feral bison on the island are fair game to hunters with no permit needed, but they are never hunted intentionally due to cost and accessibility. 

ADFG has recently re-introduced wood bison to Alaska, which went extinct here sometime between 150-500 years ago. They have remained a native population in Yukon Territory, northern BC, and northern Alberta. At least two herds are being re-established. Wood bison are even bigger than plains bison, if you can believe that. 

I hunt with 30-06 even in the hills of WV. Never understood hunting with anything smaller.......

I hunted moose, caribou, and bear with a 30-06 in Alaska for decades. After having trouble definitively dropping those gigantic moose in the Koyokuk region and losing a big black bear using the '06, I've been using the 338WinMag and 300 WinMag for the past 20 years or so. I brought my last '06 to the states and store it here for hopeful hunts.

The 30-06 is simply the perfect all around rifle cartridge. Many different loads can be used with it for everything from varmint shooting to military uses (it shines as a sniper round) to medium and big game hunting using 130-220 grain bullets.

........Note, my first deer rifle was a 30-30 lever action. Fun gun to shoot. I want to have a Smith take off the scope though. It's a much better up close/brush gun without the scope.

Agreed. I have two lever action rifles, both are Marlins, and both feature ghost ring open sights. A 450 Marlin is in Alaska, and a 30-30 in the states. They are great carbines, are not legally maligned "assault rifles" (but serve so quite nicely), and are inexpensive.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't want to shoot that with the steel butt plate.  Those HURT.   I have permanent nerve damage in my right shoulder.   From less abusive things than that.

MIB