Howls

Patterson-Gimlin

I was hiking in the hot swamp like forest in North Florida with my 4 year old granddaughter.

She is a Bigfoot fan because all three of my children believe the creature exists. 

She emulates James Fay's howls. 

She was doing her howls and lo and behold they were answered the first time ever.  I didnt have the heart to tell her  that the most likely source was human.

I regret not recording them. From now on I certainly will 

• Thanks 1

For whatever it's worth, despite sightings, tracks, etc., I've never heard a howl "as shown on tv."     I've heard a few other things, but not that.   

So far as recording, my used-to-be research partner chewed my "tailfeathers" one day for not running a recorder and missing something very, very cool and apparently very rare.  It's been 7 years now and I'm still looking for a repeat.   Now I essentially NEVER go into the woods now without a recorder running.   Couple ounces, a few $$ for batteries, and awareness of a small external mic on my pack that I need to be mindful not to tear off with a branch ... that's all it costs.   While audio won't prove anything, not running audio means discarding the outside chance of having something pretty cool to share.

MIB

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, MIB said:

..........my used-to-be research partner chewed my "tailfeathers" one day for not running a recorder and missing something very, very cool and apparently very rare.  It's been 7 years now and I'm still looking for a repeat........

So what was it you missed?

38 minutes ago, Huntster said:

So what was it you missed?

Weird apparent vocalization.   

It was low and "gravelly" but extremely extremely loud.    My recollection is it had a very slight "blue shift" then "red shift" in pitch.   The first thing I mentally locked into was a log truck coming downhill on compression and rounding a corner, first coming towards me (blue shift) then going away (red shift).   There was no shriek, no scream, no howl to it.    The forest had been pretty noisy, birds, bugs, etc.   It went dead silent but for the little creek by the trail, then after 3-5 seconds, the sound level built back up, but just for a second, everything stopped.   In the moment, I thought I was "got".    I was hiking a reasonably well traveled trail, traversing a steep slope, hill above and left, creek below and right, in a sort of clock-wise curve.   I dropped / ducked to my left putting my left arm and shoulder into the bank, right knee to the ground, left knee up, and partially drew my pistol while scanning for "my attacker".    As the sound rebuilt in the valley, I realized the source was a distance away, forward and left (NNW) and probably 3/4ths of a mile away.   

Just over a mile away there's a canyon of sorts formed by 3 mountains (cinder cones?) in a slight arc.     In the mouth of the canyon, to the east a quarter mile or so is a 4th cone.   Between the 3 and the 1 is a deep notch.   I assumed whatever I'd heard came out of that canyon and vocalized from near the notch even though they're all just a little farther away than I thought, maybe about 1-1/4 miles.     I ran trail cams in that notch for 2 seasons.   Got deer, elk, bear, cougar, a wolf, weasel ... just normal forest critters.   Near the end of that period, I was hiking out cross country and stumbled across a raised rock outcropping.    It was perched over the edge of the canyon.    It's almost exactly 3/4ths of a mile from where I heard that vocalization.    If you climb up on the outcropping, which is easy from the back (west) side, and go to the drop-off facing east, you're at the focal point of a huge natural megaphone above the trees.   It's a perfect layout for truly long distance vocalization projection.

But ... what I heard wasn't a howl, it was a low gravelly sort of "ahhhh" roar.

2 months later I was  hiking in the general area, this time with a recorder running.   I heard, and recorded, seemingly the same thing apparently projected from a similar rock outcropping a couple miles away.   This time the distances was about 2-1/4 miles across a fairly deep canyon with a river and waterfalls in between so the sound is a bit muted.  

Those two are much alike and are totally unlike anything I've ever heard in nature.     I've run trail cams on both hoping whatever it was will return.   I had mechanical issues with the trail cams (5 years old, left out all winter ... no surprise) last year and removed them but I have new cameras to install as soon as the snow allows.   At 6000 and 6400 feet respectively, it will be around beginning of July before I can access the sites.

The sounds were not good matches for any of the purported bigfoot vocalizations online.   I truly don't know what it was.   Oddly enough, I mentioned them to a friend from work that I bumped into at the rifle range.   First thing he said was "gravelly".    I have to talk to him again and find out how he connected the dots.   Might know more than he is saying.

MIB

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:56 AM, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I was hiking in the hot swamp like forest in North Florida with my 4 year old granddaughter.

She is a Bigfoot fan because all three of my children believe the creature exists. 

She emulates James Fay's howls. 

She was doing her howls and lo and behold they were answered the first time ever.  I didnt have the heart to tell her  that the most likely source was human.

I regret not recording them. From now on I certainly wil

P-G

Now You know that I have had my own personal sightings and have experience some strange things that may be from these creatures. The one thing I did record once was a this strange low moan howl while I attempted to walk  off the trail into these pines. I did post this video on BFF1.0 but I have not been able to find that video. That video was truly debated to it being wind blowing through pipes to it being A10 fly overs coming from Gaylord airfield. But as my friend and myself stood there and felt this low moan in our chest it was a direct linear direction coming from the pines.

But that is just some thing that I still to this day cannot find an answer to yet.  Now there are some howls that I have heard on the BFRO that they say could be from these creatures. I live in Detroit , downtown near the Ambassador bridge and I can tell you that I have actually heard those same howls that are on the BFRO. My first thought was that these creatures are now living downtown. But this is not possible since there are way to many people who live here and are out in the streets . Yet ,I kept hearing these same howls where I live. The only logical answer that I could come up with was dogs. Dogs were howling when a fire truck and a police car was blaring their sirens at a distance.

For myself not everything is Bigfoot and even when I am in the woods not every thing is Bigfoot.  They are not always out there like people think. But when they are around you take advantage and you start to learn their behavior. I have my son and love to take him hunting with me. Now I have a grandson who I will be mentoring this year for hunting season.  My son is some what stubborn when it comes to deer hunting and some times doubts my ways. But he always learns at the end of a season and seems to love to hunt with out baiting. Now I am trying to teach him stalking which is a bit harder. Not sure how my grandson will do but I am sure he is ready.

It is great that kids go out and learn about nature and about the behavior of animals. There minds are like sponges and when they are out in the field they can learn so much .It's great thing !

• Thanks 1

Your welcome P-G