Quiet Kat Mtn bike

norseman

BFF Patron
13 hours ago, norseman said:

Been doing some research. You definitely want a mid drive system and not a hub drive. Mid drive mounts the motor close to your pedals and allows you to run that electrical power through your gearing. A hub drive replaces the front or rear hub and simply spins the wheel when you apply power.

Another option is to retrofit a mid drive kit onto your existing mtn bike. Depending on the model for 500-600 bucks and some elbow grease you could be running squatch country in stealth mode.

https://lunacycle.com/mid-drive-kits/

I have done some research too.    The mid drive system seemed to be the way to go.   But several weeks ago I talked to an E bike rental place in Washington State and they said the mid drives were proving to be unreliable.  So I am undecided on that at this point.     Rad Ebikes in Seattle have a good reputation with the rental places.     They ship free anyplace in the country from what I remember.      I thought about converting my fat tired pedal bike and it works out with the controller,  battery back, and the drive motor, the conversion is very close to the price of a ready to go bike.     With anything like that you are always risking that some component you buy does not work, and that would push the cost over the cost of the ready to ride bike.     You need good quality brakes on the bike you convert.      Disk brakes are a must and hydraulic disk brakes would be even better.      Stopping from 20 to 28 MPH is a very different thing that stopping from 12 to 15 MPH.    I find even on my pedal bike that I spend way more time paying attention to riding than looking around for BF.   Walking is always best.     If the bike is used for inserting into a distant area then walking around, it would be the best use of the bike in my opinion.   

That's pretty cool.    I can think of a couple of hunting applications for it.   When I first started hunting, we'd drive back old logging roads, park, and hike.   Now many of those roads are functionally impassible and getting worse.  It would possibly, at least temporarily, reopen access to currently lost opportunities.    

I was thinking about a ROKON trail breaker but this is interesting at less than half the price and maybe being legal during fire season closures where the gas powered bike wouldn't be.

Hmmm ...

MIB

Clearance

https://www.quietkat.com/product/rover-clearance/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYmwh8bV4gIVlcpkCh2m1QvTEAAYASAAEgJbJvD_BwE

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

http://wabikes.org/2018/06/06/heres-need-know-washingtons-new-e-bike-law/   Here is the new Washington State Law that addresses the 750 watt issue.     

In reality unless you are in some urban trail system,   there is no one out in the boonies to enforce trail use law.    I would ride an ebike anyplace I would ride a normal pedal bike.    I have to warn you about my one and only ebike experience.    I rented one, just to see how I liked it.      The top speed of an Ebike is considerably higher that I achieve on flat ground on a pedal bike.      I got distracted by a passing car,   decided to stop and check a map,   and because of the speed overshot where I intended to stop.     The Ebike is supposed to disengage the motor when you apply the brakes.   This one malfunctioned and I hit a sandy patch on the shoulder of the road doing about 20 MPH.     Departed the road and hit face first in the bank of a 4 foot ditch by the road.   To add insult to injury the bike hit me from behind after I catapulted over the handlebars.     My face had gravel embedded injuries,  one rib was broken in 2 places, and one knee was abraded and bleeding,  the entire back of one thigh was bruised.    I was a medical mess clear across the continent from where I lived.      The trip back home was hell, flying for 5 hours with the broken rib.     

Ohhhh not so sure about that. I’ve had run ins with the game wardens and forest service.

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, norseman said:

Clearance

https://www.quietkat.com/product/rover-clearance/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYmwh8bV4gIVlcpkCh2m1QvTEAAYASAAEgJbJvD_BwE

Ohhhh not so sure about that. I’ve had run ins with the game wardens and forest service.

I would never get a single speed bike if you want to run it in the mountains.    Your ability to pedal assist would be very limited.   I suspect that is why they still have 2018 bikes left.    A bike with one speed is not a mountain bike by definition.  

I have never run into an Ranger or Forest Service person that was on foot or on a bike other than in the Mt St Helens National Monument.         Unless they can drive to where you are at a trail head,   it is very unlikely that you would ever encounter one.   If it is a forest service road, or logging road, the Ebike would be legal.    Given the choice of a well used human hiking trail and an abandoned logging road,  I will take the logging road every time if I am looking for a BF encounter.    I think human trails are too chancy for BF activity in the daytime.  

Edited by SWWASAS

4 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Ski pulk set up.  Potential e bike set up. Solar cell charging in wintertime would be a challenge. If the bike breaks down, snow shoe out with your pulk.

https://www.skipulk.com/

In wintertime I would not be riding a bicycle here.

Seasonal altitude and geography. Your area is drier snow but freakin cold. I am relatively warmer but wetter. More hazardous with hypothermia related wetness that catches the poorly prepared off guard.

44 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Seasonal altitude and geography. Your area is drier snow but freakin cold. I am relatively warmer but wetter. More hazardous with hypothermia related wetness that catches the poorly prepared off guard.

I spent seven years in North Dakota in the oilfield. I took a winter off and pulled a flatbed for a company out of Vancouver, Wa. I knew I screwed up when they made us chain up on snoqualmie pass and I was laying under the truck in 2 ft of slop with ice water running down my back. I could have easily made it with no chains...... but noooooo.

At -40 my Peterbilt sticks to the road like glue. Get out and try to lick the road....you won’t get yer tongue back. Now..... North Dakota can get slick during spring break up, but with no mountain passes to deal with basically just a few known hills that a guy can route himself around. It’s pretty easy really. Just have to watch out fer the other guy that got his learners permit last year in Texas.

At home here we are in between maybe -10 any more at the worst. Some North Dakota dry cold but some coastal crap as well. Some snow is dry, some wet. Some sleet, freezing rain, etc as well. I will take dry cold cold all day long.

• 1 month later...

Our northern WMAS are in the Chattahoochee national forrest. I've heard nothing with wheels are allowed on the tails or on the gated roads!!

6 hours ago, Shooter said:

.........I've heard nothing with wheels are allowed on the tails or on the gated roads!!

If it's a road, wheels roll on it. They just don't want your wheels rolling on them. 

On 6/6/2019 at 9:27 PM, norseman said:

........At -40 my Peterbilt sticks to the road like glue..........

It's all where the rubber hits the road. If you're riding the right tires, if they're not too worn, if you drive conservatively, depending on your load, and under most conditions, you're in good shape. 

Chains work on the tractor, but the load can still do you in.

I never wanted to be a part of a train or truck wreck. I was successful, but I had some close calls.............

46 minutes ago, Huntster said:

If it's a road, wheels roll on it. They just don't want your wheels rolling on them. 

Masterkey 

30FE9AA3-9C63-4803-9FAF-1E5133D7EB08.jpeg

LOL........but you can get caught behind the gate by their ninjas.

Trump is opening up public lands. But, frankly, I've seen plenty of morons out there. I'm headed out again on Friday, Alaska is hot, dry, and on fire, and if I see an A-hole lighting off fireworks, I just might shoot him. I think I'd get away with it.