hiflier

Thermal Imagers In Bigfoot Country

wiiawiwb

The good news, SWWASAS, is that where most of us go, and the more remote we go, capturing anything on thermal peeking out from behind a tree is tantamount to getting the goods on film.  Can someone hoax in an easy-to-get-to location? Yes.

Is someone going to hoax by shadowing someone who backpacks into an area which is probably unfamiliar to the hoaxer, miles from civilization, and off trail especially when they don't know who they're following and what risk they may be putting themselves into? The chance of that happening I think is pretty close to zero.

SWWASAS

After hearing about Thom Powell's break in related to BF research, and loosing pictures to some kind of computer hack,  I have been very careful about being followed by someone intent on hoaxing or learning where my research area is.    I leave my intended field location to be found on my kitchen counter at the last minute to preclude anyone knowing ahead of time I will be in the field and where I am.      Like you say the more remote a location and the more you take humans out of the equation, the more comfortable I am judging what I am really experiencing in the field.     I avoid field work on weekends because there are too many humans hiking in the woods.     The more humans the less likely there are BF in the area.    The other factor is that the gear I carry is worth a lot of money should someone met on the trail want to take it.    Other than cougars, self protection from other humans,  is my main reason to carry.    

Edited by SWWASAS

SWWASAS
On 6/13/2019 at 3:46 PM, wiiawiwb said:

What an awesome experience this must have been. A bit unsettling while it was occurring I'm sure.

Did you have any sense of fear during this encounter or was it exhilirating throughout?

When I was closing on it, and I could hear the movement away from me,   it was exciting.   Thrill of the hunt with a camera.    It was moving towards a ridge and I fully expected it to break cover at any moment and get it on video.   My concern during this phase was that I was very slow because of crawling over and under down trees that had blown down recently.   One concern being it would move fast enough away that I would only get a fleeting glimpse or none at all.   The other being that if it was cornered against the ridge that it would turn on me.     When it growled and the one behind broke the tree off,  that was raw fear on my part.    I knew I had crossed a line.    I said something like "I know, I know,  I am backing out,"    I withdrew as fast as I could because with me in the middle,   I was a sitting duck if either attacked me.