Backyard Research

Guest bsruther

Guest tracker

I have a lot of young trees in the yard, near the woods, but the first print was about 40 ft into the actual woods and the second about 20-30ft.

just deep enough to remain concealed.

Guest bsruther

Careful, next thing you know, you'll be a habituator and we all know what that'll get ya.

People saying I ain't right in the head?...They already do that, I encourage it.

just deep enough to remain concealed.

I could be 20 feet from the woods, during a full moon and someone could stand right in front of me and I wouldn't see them, as long as they were still.

I've got a chicken that isn't laying. If I could figure out which one it is, I could put it in a cage and hang it from a tree, like they did on FBF.

Wife might not like that though.

It does not look like much. But, you should cast it to bring out any details and then post a photo of the cast.

Guest bsruther

Ok, I've been checking the log, where I placed the three items, every morning. I went up there this morning to check and the squeeze toy is missing, it's nowhere to be found within at least 30 or so feet of the log. The polished stone is sitting where the squeeze toy was and the other stone is slightly moved and laying on it's side. The egg, about 4ft away is still stuck between the branches of a bush.

What I find odd about the squeeze toy missing is that it was the one item of the three that was found up in the woods. It just appeared one day, out of nowhere.

Does anyone think there's a possibility that the toy was taken by a Coyote, Raccoon or stray dog? Those are the only things I can come up with. Any other ideas as to what could've taken it and repositioned the stones? I'll say again that I'm certain it wasn't a person.

First pic, when I placed the items on the log.

zwtqw.jpg

Pic from today

2q9vsk9.jpg

The egg, about four feet away.

r8v5vr.jpg

Guest Boolywooger

A coyote or raccoon would have gone after the egg too, imo. It will be interesting to see if something new shows up there in the next couple of days, a feather, animal skull, etc.

Guest bsruther

A coyote or raccoon would have gone after the egg too, imo. It will be interesting to see if something new shows up there in the next couple of days, a feather, animal skull, etc.

Well, we've been finding Turkey feathers up there lately, but we have two Turkeys that spend most of their day in our yard. Since we have the Turkeys I can't think that the feathers were placed there and would probably have to rule out any other found feathers as being placed.

We found a Deer antler, laying on the golf cart trail, a few evenings ago. It's way past the time when Deer shed their antlers. I found it a little odd, but not really out of the ordinary.

Guest Boolywooger

Did you take it or leave it? Had it been chewed on by anything, been buried in leaves, etc, or did it look like it had just fallen from the deer's head?

Guest bsruther

Did you take it or leave it? Had it been chewed on by anything, been buried in leaves, etc, or did it look like it had just fallen from the deer's head?

Took it. No, no chew marks. Looked like it had been shed. We found a bone a while back, in the spot where the egg is sitting. It had many gnaw marks on it. The bone was just stuck between the branches, 4ft off the ground.

Have you thought about a long-distance camera pointed at the stump?

Thought about it, but I don't want to spend money for a camera, to take pics of something that might not be there.

I'll try some other things first, if they get positive results, I might consider a cam.

This is really interesting!! I have nothing but solid rock and very fine quartz sand that won't hold a print on my river bottom. I'll probably never find a print like yours. Grayjay is right though, it's unnerving to think that something with a foot is roaming around your property regardless of the owner of the foot is....

BFF Patron

Early on in an area near a sighting I discovered a deer antler which had been chewed some, it was laying on a bed of leaves in the fall (first I'd ever found in 20 plus years in this area)......seemed old and out of place.....it was near an area of heavy suspected BF activity where tree crashes and monkey-like chatter had occurred along with stick formations that would appear or be modified literally overnight.

The placement of the antler was near an area where I had "interactions" and one of the tree crashes occurred literally within seconds of my discovering the antler. I did pick it up and noted the coincidence. I had a class A nocturnal sighting within miles of that location months later.

I would wonder how the print, bone and antler fit in all of this (not to mention the small toy....cute by the way). Sounds like a lot of coinkydinks. I'd be on the lookout for small but elaborate stick formations laid out on ground but that's just me. I think it would be worthy of a small digital recorder being planted in a stump or something to see what is possibly prowling around out there.

Guest bsruther

This is really interesting!! I have nothing but solid rock and very fine quartz sand that won't hold a print on my river bottom. I'll probably never find a print like yours. Grayjay is right though, it's unnerving to think that something with a foot is roaming around your property regardless of the owner of the foot is....

Yes, it is unnerving. I was trying to think of the right word to describe it and that's it. It drives me crazy to not have an explanation for something, it's even worse when it's a lot of somethings. Some of the things I couldn't explain are part of what brought me to BFF in the first place.

To be honest, I keep wavering back and forth on whether that impression is even a print at all. Guess I'm trying to rationalize it and convince myself that it's nothing.

Guest bsruther

I found the squeeze toy, it was about 40 ft away in a flat area above where I placed it. It was on the ground near our fire ring, don't know how I missed it the first time. Saw what appeared to me to be skunk sign, in the yard, about 60 ft from where I had the stuff on the log. It. the grass was all scratched up, like it is when they look for grubs. Could they be the culprit.

I have a deer skull in the yard, next to a tree where a squirrel used to live. I would see him gnawing on the skull every day. I just looked at the skull and the teeth marks look the same as the ones on the bones that I found.

Early on in an area near a sighting I discovered a deer antler which had been chewed some, it was laying on a bed of leaves in the fall (first I'd ever found in 20 plus years in this area)......seemed old and out of place.....it was near an area of heavy suspected BF activity where tree crashes and monkey-like chatter had occurred along with stick formations that would appear or be modified literally overnight.

The placement of the antler was near an area where I had "interactions" and one of the tree crashes occurred literally within seconds of my discovering the antler. I did pick it up and noted the coincidence. I had a class A nocturnal sighting within miles of that location months later.

I would wonder how the print, bone and antler fit in all of this (not to mention the small toy....cute by the way). Sounds like a lot of coinkydinks. I'd be on the lookout for small but elaborate stick formations laid out on ground but that's just me. I think it would be worthy of a small digital recorder being planted in a stump or something to see what is possibly prowling around out there.

Antlers are one of the things I always look for when I'm walking in the woods. Have found many skulls, but not antlers. Wife never looks for anything and she's the one that found this antler, it was just laying there, on the trail.

Yes, it is unnerving. I was trying to think of the right word to describe it and that's it. It drives me crazy to not have an explanation for something, it's even worse when it's a lot of somethings. Some of the things I couldn't explain are part of what brought me to BFF in the first place.

To be honest, I keep wavering back and forth on whether that impression is even a print at all. Guess I'm trying to rationalize it and convince myself that it's nothing.

I am in the same boat. I rationalize everything away because my "somethings" seem to only happen certain times of the year. When the activity is going on I would definitely say I'm unnerved. Sasfooty gave me the best advice though, since I put that dummy security camera out on my deck rail I don't have anymore knocking on the side of my condo.

Guest Boolywooger

Honest to goodness, if you want them to leave, go ahead and put out some cameras. If you don't then I agree putting out a digital recorder and record over night. I don't know why, but a camera on is bad and they'll leave the area, while they'll walk up and poke at a digital recorder.