The hunted

wiiawiwb
BFF Donor
4 hours ago, Twist said:

In one account I listened to they mentioned that he was positioned only 40 yards off a dirt road while waiting.  I can’t recall if that’s been mentioned in other accounts I’ve heard.  If true that opens up a lot of possibilities when taking into account the “odd” sound.  

Messick and three other hunters, in their 80s as well, were positioned 100 yards apart on the road and each went in a short distance. The four were put there to stay and wait for deer the other 3 hunters would drive to them.

norseman
BFF Donor

How does an 80 year old disappear right off a road? 

Twist

Given the fact he had poor hearing and one eye....someone could have kidnapped him By sneaking up?   Maybe the sound heard was a blow to his head or a car door slamming?   There are lots of weirdos out there.   

VAfooter
Admin

Just speculating, but say he fell asleep, woke up confused, and thought it was later in the day than it really was. Say he was not wearing a watch and did not know what time it was. Concerned that his buddies left him, he walks to the road (still disoriented) to try to get home. At some point thereafter, a car comes by and asks if he needs help. Unfortunately for Messick, in the car are folks up to no good; they are heading to or coming from a drug deal. They see he has a nice coat on and is carrying an expensive hunting rifle. They figure he must be rich. He gets in the car (trap shutting) and they drive off. At some point, they kill him, take his stuff, and dispose of the body in a pond, swamp, etc.

I also think Twist could on to something with the sneaking theory.

I wonder if the road was checked for fresh tire tracks?

Interesting that once again, as seems to happen in many of these cases, heavy rain followed shortly thereafter.

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/2019/12/4/the-very-strange-disappearance-of-tom-messick-whilst-hunting-near-brant-lake-new-york

Arvedis
7 hours ago, Twist said:

In one account I listened to they mentioned that he was positioned only 40 yards off a dirt road while waiting.  I can’t recall if that’s been mentioned in other accounts I’ve heard.  If true that opens up a lot of possibilities when taking into account the “odd” sound.  

27 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

I wonder if the road was checked for fresh tire tracks?

Interesting that once again, as seems to happen in many of these cases, heavy rain followed shortly thereafter.

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/2019/12/4/the-very-strange-disappearance-of-tom-messick-whilst-hunting-near-brant-lake-new-york

It would be hard to believe that rangers and sar would overlook tracks on the closest road. As for the sound, though we have very little to go on, wouldn't it make sense that others would have heard a familiar engine noise? Vehicle or even ATV would be hard to misinterpret. 

The atmospheric change is a good clue.

Edited by Arvedis
wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

I'm confident anything nefarious was followed up on right from the get go.  There were plenty of investigators between local, state, and federal authorities.

Analyzing tires tracks that don't belong to any party already know would be the first thing they'd do. I also believe that one of the other parties would have heard a vehicle approaching on the road. That road is not a nice, flat dirt road. It is narrow with dips and large rocks that you have to crawl over.  You'd hear a vehicle if it was moving. 

In my opinion, there's zero chance he could have walked to the main road which would be about two miles from where he was. Moreover, his tracks would have been everywhere and easy to follow.

Folks have to remember this was not Barney Fife trying to find a missing hiker. You've got local authorities, who know the area like the back of their hand, being checked by state police being run by state encon officers all being observed by the FBI. All of those plus hundreds of SAR.

Whatever we can think of, you can bet they thought of and checked it out.

Edited by wiiawiwb
Huntster
7 hours ago, VAfooter said:

That is an odd one. What do you think happened? 

Seems like if he fell off the mountain, the body could have been found. But not having been there, I suppose the terrain is too rugged to support an intensive SAR effort on the ground.

This is the classic example of a human body being in a very limited area, disappearing amid numerous others, and no feasible explanation. Not being familiar with the Messick case being discussed above, it sounds similar. Where I was camped that week, in the Air Force Rec Camp, we can see people/runners on the trail for 3/4 of the way up and down the mountain. There were hundreds of people on the trail. There were officials on the mountain. Nobody saw a bear during the race. They searched hard for two weeks, probably because of the fear that this could threaten the legitimacy of the race, an Alaskan classic revenue generator for the city. Helicopters, dogs, and hundreds of people. 

He disappeared.

It's yet another example of just how easy it is to disappear.

Nipissing
On 7/18/2020 at 10:34 PM, Huntster said:

Here is the weirdest one I've ever been near to. I wasn't there when he disappearred, but I was for a couple of weeks afterwards during the search.

https://truecrimesociety.com/2019/08/25/missing-on-mount-marathon-michael-lemaitre/

Four years later, and after a civil suit, more details.......:

https://www.adn.com/crime-justice/article/seward-lemaitre-settle-case-missing-mount-marathon-runner-20000/2014/10/15/

What jumped out at me from the second link was how poor his eyesight was: At a subsequent deposition, the statement said, Michael told EEOC investigators that "what I see as far as peripheral vision is I see everybody from the top of their head to the tip of their nose. ... It was over a month before I realized (my supervisor) had a goatee.'' This is not someone who should have been running around in the bush by himself.

• Upvote 1
Huntster

Yup, although that may have been BS in a disability game. We had A LOT of that on base, and it looks like the lawyers were all over the city for his wife. The lawyers told the wife of my missing friend that his assets will be frozen for 5 to 10 years because they don't "know" that he's dead, and he was 90 years old when he disappeared. 

But, if it's true that his sight was that bad, he may still be if there wandering around on the Harding Icefield.

But frankly, I think the odds are highest that he's in Paraguay cursing at a $20K settlement with the city and wondering if he can live on beans and fruit for the rest of his life.........

Edited by Huntster
Arvedis
3 hours ago, Huntster said:

But frankly, I think the odds are highest that he's in Paraguay cursing at a $20K settlement with the city and wondering if he can live on beans and fruit for the rest of his life.........

That's some serious digestive problems in the making.

• 2 weeks later...
Explorer
BFF Donor

The story of Aaron Hedges is truly bizarre.

He disappeared from an elk hunting trip in the Crazy Mountains (Montana) in Sept-2014 but his body was found ~2 years later.

The link below tells the story on the circumstances behind his disappearance, failure of SAR to find him, and eventual discovery of skeletal remains.

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/tag/Aaron+Hedges+-+Strange+disappearances+from+US+Mountains

norseman
BFF Donor

Thank You for posting about "the hunted" I just watched it on Amazon.

Wow-Wow-Wow

I have never (or don't recall) ever hearing the "Sierra Sounds".

Incorrigible1
BFF Donor

I discovered a free streaming movie website a couple months ago, Moviesjoy.net. It's pretty damned fantastic. No advertising, a plethora of movies, new and old. "The Hunted" is available there.

https://www1.moviesjoy.net/movie/missing-411-the-hunted-48023