The hunted

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, skypros said:

Thank You for posting about "the hunted" I just watched it on Amazon.

Wow-Wow-Wow

I have never (or don't recall) ever hearing the "Sierra Sounds".

We heard something similar, but faint and higher pitched.  We couldn't pick it up on the camera mics, so we invested in a Zoom H4N Pro for sound recording.  

I am always on the lookout for other recordings of similar sounds, but have never come across any.

I watched this last night and highly recommend it.

As far as the Messick case, Isn't it possible that there was a hunting accident that was covered up?

Messick's buddy (Sid?) seemed especially sketchy and evasive during his interview.

On the other hand, Messick's own son had a wistful smirk on his face as he nonchalantly sipped beer for the entirety of the questioning. I found it quite unsettling.

An accident and coverup would explain everything. Even a suicide and coverup are possible.

In many of these cases we don't get the entire story mainly because LE is reluctant to divulge key information, thus it is left for book writers and others to fill in the gaps via speculation etc. Youtube is inundated with this kind of material.

As far as the Donnell Vista disappearances, they are truly grounded in mystery.

I have been there a few times and have always found it to be a rather eerie and windswept vantage point. Sinister comes to mind. Never a good feel or pleasant vibe in that entire area, the Sierra Sounds location included.

I used to fish and backpack in that region a lot, especially in the 70's.

Hiking out of Kennedy Meadows (the trailhead to Sierra Sounds Camp) is hardly "the middle of nowhere" or "off the beaten path." Morehead and crew were a whopping 7 miles from the trailhead! That entire area has suffered the effects of overuse for many decades. The land and streams have been polluted by rampant cattle grazing and human overpopulation to the point where it has long been a place you pass through to get somewhere else rather than as a welcoming destination in itself. It is hardly "the most beautiful place on God's earth," as described in the movie. I doubt that it ever was, but so be it. Hey, maybe its loaded with squatches but let's not over-romanticize things too much...

I wish Paulides would stop trying to connect the above with Yosemite. It is nothing like Yosemite, different geology and ecosystems, different management and jurisdictions, different accesses etc. The fact that it is 50 or 60 miles by crow flight does not make it part of a cluster in any way except in his own bias.

Fascinating stuff though, certainly worth a watch.

• Thanks 1
wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

There were 7 hunters that day all of whom were family or long-time friends. Local police, state police, and the FBI were all there. Do you really think a suicide, accident, or murder is going escape discovery with all the resources available from both state and Feds?

What purpose would there be for the FBI to show up? A garden-variety accident, suicide, or local murder? I don't think so.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate

• 1 month later...
BFF Donor

Finally got to see the movie.

Pluses:

• Good production quality.
  • 3 interesting cases were chosen (Thomas Messick (NY), Melvin Nadel (NM) & Aaron Hedges (MT))
  • Good interviews of some LEO and people involved in the original search.
  • Good maps, case development history, and interview of the Sweet Grass county sheriff & SAR coordinator (Alan Ronneberg) on the Aaron Hedges case in Montana.

Deltas:

• No interviews of seasoned and experienced national SAR experts to help put in perspective how truly odd these missing person cases are.
  • No interview of SAR coordinator or sheriff in the New Mexico case.
  • Inclusion of the Sierra Sounds case with Ron Morehead was irrelevant and lowered credibility of the show
  • Inclusion of the ‘’predator” like entity and UFO case in Ohio with Jan Maccabee was irrelevant and lowered credibility of the show

My preference is for Paulides to stick to providing the factual aspects of the cases and to explaining why these cases are truly mysterious (and deserve special attention) and not to speculate on causation.

I will love to read a book from a SAR expert with 30 years of experience in looking for missing people in wilderness areas all over the USA, with the full set of data (not picking and choosing odd cases) to better understand if these cases are just part of the normal distribution curve (the tails) or are truly anomalous.

I will still recommend the movie to others.  I am currently reading the book (Missing 411: Hunters) to better understand why he selected these 3 cases for the movie.

BFF Donor

You'll find more about the Predator-type entity in the book you're reading.  I don't mind that he sprinkles n matters such as this or the Sierra Sounds case.  I think it adds a little spice but what is interesting to one might be boring to another.

I've become very interested in the cases he presented in his books. I'm particularly interested in the Messick case for a potpourri of reasons.  He was with a group, he was too old to go anywhere, he had medical infirmities, he had a camp down the road, and more.

Most interesting to me are the issues with metal. Where do his rifle go and what was the metallic sound of a trap closing?

BFF Donor

@wiiawiwb,

Finished reading the book.  After a while of reading case after similar case, it gets boring.

There were some additional interesting and bizarre cases (but not many).

The 3 he chose for the movie make sense because they are fairly recent.

Many of the cases in the book were from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's.

I rather read about more recent cases (post 1990)- where the information is more accessible in the internet.

I only read about one case claiming the ''predator" like entity and it was the same case from Jan Maccabee.

So not sure how common this claim is.

@Oldmort,

I forgot the short section on the Donnell Lake vista point disappearances.  I was not aware of those cases, but the cases did not seem to be extremely odd or mysterious.

I have felt creeped out by an area 3 miles south-west of there.

I was investigating the locations of 2 old BF reports. 

One location was simply off a dirt road close to a quarry and I camped there overnight. Saw plenty of deer but nothing anomalous, but still had that creepy feeling.

The other location required bushwhacking off trail  down towards the lake, and I did not like the feeling and exited.

Will have to return with another person. Also, this was before I got my Garmin In-reach and nobody knew where I was.

@wiiawiwb,

I was more intrigued by the Aaron Hedges case than the Messick case because of all the additional and non-sensical clues/evidence found.

However, after reading a lot of the comments from the Montana locals, I am not so sure.

I read some of the smart comments from the Montana locals and they made some good points.

They took into account the quote below from the StrangeOutdoors article.

"All three hunters were known for trespassing and poaching. When Christine Hedges initially reported her husband missing, she told dispatch he had entered the area by trespassing on the Park County side."

Some commenters stated that most of the Elk in those mountains are in private property and the land-owners don't like poachers/trespassers (they make money during hunting season on their properties).

Also many feel that the Hedges' backpack seemed to have been placed by a tree (by someone) so as to be found.

Some suggested that he was killed  and the body/belongings moved to a totally different area to distract from true killer.

Certainly a more credible hypothesis than he walking barefoot with hypothermia for 9 additional miles in tough terrain and with snow.

Also, I realized that Paulides never interviewed Hedges' 2 hunting buddies or his wife.  The sheriff did not comment on the possibility of foul play.

I don't know, but sometimes we don't have to invoke weird phenomena when humans are engaging in crimes and deceit.

I had a thought as I am watching the Messick case.  You know if you rob a bank they will try to put dye in the bag that blows up after the guys get away.  I know this is extreme, but if you are in that I am going to die situation, it would be helpful if you triggered some form of die bag explosion so people would have some form of trail to try and figure out what the hell happened.  Throw in some bear spray that may send the attacker away and antibiotic.  Sounds extreme but when you think of all of the things experienced outdoorsman put in their backpacks, maybe not so much.  Just a thought for the night.  

So I finished it tonight and must say I really loved it.  I believe those that nick pick the details  are missing the larger picture.  I believe DP specifically picked these 4 from the 100s of his cases and had them presented in a very specific order to make a larger point that he does not want to make directly for fear of ridicule.  Lets review:

Case 1: Old man simply vanishes from hunting party.   No explanation but they lead you to some type of portal (clicking sound) event swept him away.

Case 2: Experienced hunter dies in Wyoming.  The trail of evidence over 11 miles in rough terrain and snow makes absolutely no logical sense.  It is almost like someone killed him and then placed the evidence in places for people to find over time.

Case 3:  Dumb start but ends up being straight up BF.  I had heard the Moreheads sounds before but never the context.  Worth the price of admission for this one alone.

Case 4:  The Predator.  Really interesting unless you simply call BS on it which I understand some would do.  Basically a hunter sees something straight out of the movie predator when at the same time an entire marching band a mile away sees a UFO.  Nobody goes missing.  Nice animation BTW.

If you read his books you will see that these 4 episodes basically track the narrative of his entire volume  starting with simple BF predators and then evolving in to something more out of this world.  He will not say it directly but if you follow the bread crumbs it will lead you to only one conclusion.  

• Thanks 1
wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

I think the first case, Tom Messick, was selected for a whole host of reasons.  One of the more important issues it is very recent rather than a cold case from a decade ago or more. It happened in November 2015 and made it to his book Missing 411: Hunters which was released mid-2016.  The more recent the case, the more important it can be, all other things being equal.

Also, it adds the same elements to a missing case that a young child would...age and the limitations it presents.  With his medical infirmities, in my opinion there is a no way Mr. Messick is walking out of there by himself nor would he try. He was a lifelong hunting instructor who knew if you have a problem you stay put. Then there is the daunting question that has never been answered--What happened to his rifle? He may disappear but how do you make a large metal object go "poof" and vanish?

It is a Missing 411 case I have taken a particular interest in and have kept myself up-to-speed on. An absolute head scratcher.

Edited by wiiawiwb
wiiawiwb
BFF Donor
35 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Duplicate that was deleted

Edited by wiiawiwb

^^^ Why on earth would an alien predator go through all that trouble to ****** a sick old man?

Edited by OldMort
5 hours ago, OldMort said:

^^^ Why on earth would an alien predator go through all that trouble to ****** a sick old man?

I wouldn't say it was an alien predator.   The reference is to the visual effect from the movie Predator of the alien.    Kind of a weird shimmering transparent distortion.    That's not the same as attributing the same MOTIVES, merely the same appearance.  

Once you separate the motives from the visual impact, a lot of possibilities open up.   For instance, some advanced alien might be curious about human diseases among the old or the young.   The causes, effects, and maybe genetic roots.   Why?   Who knows.   If there are aliens here, their technological superiority is adequate reason for a bit of contempt, for treating us as "less." 

MIB

wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

I'm trying to remember, and not succeeding, where I read a plausible explanation of the Predator effect with a sasquatch.  The explanation was that many sasquatch airs are colorless and will reflect the color of its surroundings.  Thus when it moves the hair just seem to blend into the woods.  Is any of that true? I haven't got a clue.

Edited by wiiawiwb