Bigfoot: Would You Shoot One?

Guest TooRisky

It is one of the best ways though to prove it's dead. Based on what we *know* about bigfoot, what would be the downside?

I don't think we know all that much , yet. The downside, for me.. would be not knowing all there is to know about it, when it was alive.

A dead one will end the game for some, and tell science and the world what it is, and prove it's out there. I want to know more than this. I'm not sure if knowing all about the living ones, will ever be possible.

I'm not going to shoot it (or anything else), unless myself or others were being attacked.

Edited by imonacan

Why the fuss about proving whether they exist in the first place? The fun is in the mystery. Personally I don't know whether they exist or not. If I was to see one I'd probably keep it to myself because at least I'd know. Leave them be. Look at all the animals that have been hunted to extinction or the point of extinction. Do you think people would not hunt them if one was brought in? Unless a law was passed to protect them. Even then I'm sure there'd be the odd case of someone shooting one in "self-defence".

Best regards,

Lee

First off I want to commend everyone who has participated in the discussion within this thread. It is a rather sensitive subject in which emotions get involved. I respect both the pro-kill and anti-kill positions and don't feel either can impose their personal beliefs/thoughts on the other.

I'm pro-kill for the first one and first one alone. I just don't see any video or photograph being universally accepted as proof. Oh, I suppose if one photographed a female sasquatch nursing or giving birth it might be accepted. But, what are the odds of that happening?

It's going to take a body before the species is accepted by science. Hopefully, that would dictate that measures would be immediately instilled that protected both the species and habitat to support it.

I would shoot one to accomplish this if ever presented the opportunity to do so. Don't relish the thought of doing so, and I'd much prefer a logging truck take one out, but my goal is that if the species is ever proven beyond doubt, then both it and its habitat will be protected from then on.

Guest Ricochet

I find the position of killing something-that is not fully understood-exclusively for the reason to prove it really exists to be totally insane! To some, it is spawned by personal creed towards the bounty some so called legit organizations have laid out for conclusive proof that BF exists. The same mindset that nearly shot the great buffalo into extinction and caused my Native American ancestors much grief. Very similar thinking has caused more recent grief in Somalia, Bosnia and the Arab states. I personally feel this thinking has no place in a modern civilized society.

That’s just my opinion and how I see it! Now the rest of the story.

First of all, I don’t need anyone else to tell me they exist. I have seen them with my own eyes! They possess acute senses and very often know you are there in the woods long before you become aware. They are masters at hiding and can observe you from short distances without ever being seen. Most often, they will be one or two steps ahead of anything you plan to do. Yes, they are not an advanced society, but do possess the ability to reason with good intellect.

Their size, strength and speed can also be overpowering. They can run on two legs or drop down into a quad position and still maintain top speeds up to 35mph. They can throw fairly large objects over great distances with precise accuracy and often travel in family groups.

With all that said, if you happen to kill or injure a Bigfoot in a remote area, what do you think your chances would be of getting out of that area alive? By their sheer size, nothing smaller than a well placed 30-06 would efficiently bring them down! Most pistols would be useless at any distance. They also communicate in an infra-sound range that is not audible to the human ear. The precise reason why things get so quiet when they are around. The other creatures hear them talking to one another.

I would consider it carefully before ever going out into the woods with anyone planning on trying to kill this magnificent giant of the woods. You just might get something more than you bargained for.

Hope I stirred some food for thought

I have killed many animals in my day, but it breaks my heart to do it. Some times you have to do what you have to do. Like others I do like the hunt, the kill leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That said, to shoot an unknown animal just to prove its there... No, I dont think I could. If my life was in danger yes then and only then.

Edited by Shecreature

Guest walkabout

No way I would shoot one (and I always have a gun within reach) unless I was positive that my life or someone's life I was with was about to be ended by one.

Guest TooRisky

I'm not so sure risky..

IF one gets bagged however, that's one thing..

But getting another, or Filming one, or studying them, or create breeding programmes, or get anothe rin a Zoo, i just can't see it..

The acceptance of the species via one Animal won't in my opinion mean that all of a sudden others will be easier to find i don't think..

Well I will have you note the amount of money spent on the silver-back in just the Congo alone... It is a huge undertaking full of scientists and before that big game hunters... Right now BF is a myth, a legend and not taken serious by science, what do you think will happen when this species is "Officially" discovered... It is going to be a mad house and a disaster for all involved and possibly impact humanity as a whole if discovered they are indeed a very close relative to man....

yes.who knows,maybe they taste like chicken.

seriously though, it would boil down to the situation at hand. if i had capable armed assistance or simply no other choice then i would shoot it . if i didnt think the situation looked favorable for my escape afterwards,then no.i expect youd play heck getting 800 lbs of dead weight intact out of the woods alone,even if its buddies werent around.

I would only shoot in self defense when there was no doubt bigfoot meant to kill me. I would be that way about anything. Proving it existed would be the last thing on my mind in the heat of the moment.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic